+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd prefer to wait. In terms of lying low... Would a dinner party with 8 people count?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ***There has never been any proof that vaccines cause autism. Never.***

The WC vax has never, ever been linked to autism or any other ASD. If you google MMR and Andrew Wakefield, you'll see he was the dr who linked autism and the MMR vax. His study was formally retracted because it was fraudulent - it was completely false and it was shown he was paid to present his findings in a certain way. He has been stricken off the medical register, but unfortunately he did a lot of damage in the mean time, scaremongering and frightening parents with his lies.
    2 weeks won't make too much difference if you are worried but you should be aware that WC is one of the leading causes of vaccine preventable death worldwide, so if you want to delay- keep bubs home if you are in a WC hotspot where drs are recommending early vax. I'm not trying to frighten you, all I'm saying is that whooping cough itself is a far greater threat than the vaccine is. Speak to your gp or paed about your concerns. Be careful looking online, there are very credible looking websites that aren't credible at all, like the AVN or "Australian vaccination network" which are so full of misinformation it's not funny. Look at Aust govt websites, the American CDC, the WHO. Even Wikipedia will give you referenced articles.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (03-06-2012),CicerFabaceaexxxx  (29-05-2012),misho  (29-05-2012),SpaghettiMonsterxxx  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I'd prefer to wait. In terms of lying low... Would a dinner party with 8 people count?
    Depends, have they all had boosters? Even then they can pass it on. Just remember, with WC babies have zero immunity. None. None from breast milk, none from vaccines, nothing to fight it with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    If you're worried about it then wait until 8 weeks hon.. we did. Vaccinations don't cause autism.. but the one people say causes that is the MMR one which they get at 1. I know how you feel though.. I actually cried on the day I had to get my first immunised. The only risk is a reaction to the vaccine which can range from mild to basically turning them into a vegetable - BUT the latter is EXTREMELY unlikely. I think it's less than 1% of the people who get immunised.
    For this vax it's *less than one in a million* chance of a serious side effect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://danamccaffery.com/openletter.html

Just for anyone not familiar with her story. Whooping cough is such a serious disease in babies, I'd hate to read on bh about anyone losing their bubs this way when we can prevent it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Depends, have they all had boosters? Even then they can pass it on. Just remember, with WC babies have zero immunity. None. None from breast milk, none from vaccines, nothing to fight it with.
    Nope they will be unvaxxed apart from me and DH.... I might play it by ear and just check that nobody has a cold, etc. I know it can be symptomless but that must be very rare and I don't plan on being housebound for 8 weeks....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My gp does the vaccinations at the 6 week check, da couldn't get an appointment til he was 8 weeks but most other babies I know are.done at the 6 week check

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Nope they will be unvaxxed apart from me and DH.... I might play it by ear and just check that nobody has a cold, etc. I know it can be symptomless but that must be very rare and I don't plan on being housebound for 8 weeks....
    It's your choice. Remember though that it is most contagious at the very start when symptoms are at their mildest. And adults may start out with nothing more than a sneeze or two before developing further symptoms. It's not rare, it's typical for adult infection.

I wouldn't be housebound either but I won't be letting any unvaxxed adults in close proximity, no cuddles, no getting up close IYKWIM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    It's your choice. Remember though that it is most contagious at the very start when symptoms are at their mildest. And adults may start out with nothing more than a sneeze or two before developing further symptoms. It's not rare, it's typical for adult infection.

I wouldn't be housebound either but I won't be letting any unvaxxed adults in close proximity, no cuddles, no getting up close IYKWIM.
    Good to know - will make a call closer to the time. Thanks!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The WC vaccine doesn't cover all strains of WC, so even after vaccinations you need to be careful of sick people being around your kids.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-05-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (29-05-2012)