+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scared to have baby immunised at 6wks instead of 8wks

Due to an outbreak of whooping cough last year (apparently it's not as bad this year - yet) parents are being advised to have their babies immunised at 6wks now instead of 8wks/2m. I actually had WC myself last year - I thought my immunity was still current but it had lapsed, and I felt sick finding out later that I'd been unwittingly spreading it around - so I'm all for the principle of protecting babies as early as possible (and yes, I've had my booster since!). However, I'm scared in practice. I've got this idea in my head that it might make my DS autistic... (I should say that I've got OCD and I'm full of ideas - some more valid than others - as to why ASDs are on the rise, and this is just one of them.)

My GP says I can hold out till 8wks if we lay low (ie stay home with DS lots) and take precautions (keep him covered up in a sling/carrier when we're out, don't let people hold him unless they've been immunised etc) but I'm going to spend the next 4wks on tenterhooks waiting.

The other problem is that DH is going to be away for work for two weeks right when DS turns 6wks old and I really don't want to have to deal with post-vaccination side effects by myself when I've already got a toddler to deal with too (DD would always run a fever each night after she'd had her shots and would be cranky for a few days). From a practical point of view, I'd prefer to wait till DH gets back, by which point DS will be 8wks old anyway.

What have other people done or been advised to do on this matter?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was told to get them done at 6 weeks and being a FTM I didn't know any better. So my DS got them done at 6 weeks 5 days old and was fine. No side effects at all. He just cried a little then was over it after 5 mins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I waited until 8 weeks. Laid low for the first few months. Luckily our immediate family are all vaccinated (they all did it for when DD1 was born). But having said that I don't think I'm in a WC hot spot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got both my fellas immunized at 6 weeks with no side affects, but each child is different.

Due to the outbreak I didn't want to take the risk, and the thought of laying low for 8 weeks after birth just didn't sound like fun.

I could be wrong but I thought it was the MMR immunization that had people worried about autism..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, the MMR shot is the one that's had all the attention but my understanding is that the theory that it causes autism has been pretty thoroughly shot down. I'll still worry about all kinds of side effects though every time I have my kids immunised (but still do it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Then maybe wait till 8 weeks, if you're more comfortable with that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i waited till 8 weeks (also didn't do the hep b at birth) as i'm too skeptical, especially after the flu vaccine fiasco.

it's only 2 weeks, lay low and there should be minimal side effects. worst case scenario is having give bub some panadol that night.

i'm also ocd....it is hard reconciling that when you become a mother but just follow your instinct on this one i say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was done at 6 weeks and was born 5 weeks early so technically he was only a week old when they were done and he was fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're worried about it then wait until 8 weeks hon.. we did. Vaccinations don't cause autism.. but the one people say causes that is the MMR one which they get at 1. I know how you feel though.. I actually cried on the day I had to get my first immunised. The only risk is a reaction to the vaccine which can range from mild to basically turning them into a vegetable - BUT the latter is EXTREMELY unlikely. I think it's less than 1% of the people who get immunised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD wasn't done till she was 8 weeks old. My GP stated he's old fashioned and preferred to do it at 8 weeks and not 6 weeks. It was pretty easy for me not to go anywhere though cause I had a c-section.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs E For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (29-05-2012)