Due to an outbreak of whooping cough last year (apparently it's not as bad this year - yet) parents are being advised to have their babies immunised at 6wks now instead of 8wks/2m. I actually had WC myself last year - I thought my immunity was still current but it had lapsed, and I felt sick finding out later that I'd been unwittingly spreading it around - so I'm all for the principle of protecting babies as early as possible (and yes, I've had my booster since!). However, I'm scared in practice. I've got this idea in my head that it might make my DS autistic... (I should say that I've got OCD and I'm full of ideas - some more valid than others - as to why ASDs are on the rise, and this is just one of them.)
My GP says I can hold out till 8wks if we lay low (ie stay home with DS lots) and take precautions (keep him covered up in a sling/carrier when we're out, don't let people hold him unless they've been immunised etc) but I'm going to spend the next 4wks on tenterhooks waiting.
The other problem is that DH is going to be away for work for two weeks right when DS turns 6wks old and I really don't want to have to deal with post-vaccination side effects by myself when I've already got a toddler to deal with too (DD would always run a fever each night after she'd had her shots and would be cranky for a few days). From a practical point of view, I'd prefer to wait till DH gets back, by which point DS will be 8wks old anyway.
What have other people done or been advised to do on this matter?