+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What is the cost of giving birth in a public hospital with no medicare?

Ok im posting this on behalf of my friend who is from South Africa and currently 37 weeks pregnant. She was with a private hospital because she doesnt have medicare but has private health which has been covering most of the costs. Now her OB has asked for $5000 up front before delivery which apparently they cant afford. She wants to know what is the cost of now switching to the care of public hospital because her and her partner cant come up the money needed to deliver in the private hospital. Has anyone had any experience with this? I am just asking because she is going out of her mind stressing.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow. I think it will be in excess of 5k as well, unfortunately .
    And potentially a heck of a lot more if there are any complications such as cesarean, special care for baby etc. what sort of visa is she on to have no Medicare? Does she not have travel insurance, or does that not cover obstetrics?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Duplicate
    Last edited by Jayteapot; 28-05-2012 at 15:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I have no idea, sorry. But it does seem odd that she is thinking of switching at 37 weeks - most Obs provide a schedule of fees at the first appointment, and I had to pay my management fee at 20 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is she on a student visa?
    If so OSHC covers (providing waiting periods are served if they apply) the same amounts as Medicare. The statement from the OB / hospital should advise the Medicare rebates and the gap fees she will be paying.

If not on a student visa my understanding is travel or visitors insurance does not cover anything pregnancy related but she will need to check with the insurance provider

Thanks
    Reviews
    No she is only here because her dad works here. I thought it would be just as expensive. Her DF works for himself so I think they thought he would have more money by now?? I'm not sure but she kind of just expects me to solve her problems but THAT is a whole other story!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by juf84 View Post
    I have no idea, sorry. But it does seem odd that she is thinking of switching at 37 weeks - most Obs provide a schedule of fees at the first appointment, and I had to pay my management fee at 20 weeks.
    I think her fees have been due for awhile and her OB is now saying she will not deliver her without payment by today

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really know, but I think it's unfair for her to expect you to solve her problems, I guess it's something she's going to learn a lesson about within the next few weeks... but anyway, get her to ring different hospitals and talk to someone in admin there, perhaps they can point her in the right direction fees wise... They will probably give her the most accurate answer. OR.... maybe speak to her ob and see if they can work out a payment plan.. how long have they known they need to pay $5000? did the ob just spring it on them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is her df in south Africa or here? If he has a working visa then I assume she would have a spousal visa and be covered!
    Tbh it all seems very odd...
    I'd be panicking if I were her too! How did they think they would pay for the private ob? How about if she needed a CS or NICU for the baby in private? That would be more and more $$ too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Is her df in south Africa or here? If he has a working visa then I assume she would have a spousal visa and be covered!
    Tbh it all seems very odd...
    I'd be panicking if I were her too! How did they think they would pay for the private ob? How about if she needed a CS or NICU for the baby in private? That would be more and more $$ too
    Yep she is only 19 so probably not considered all this. Her DF is Australian