+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default renting as a single mum in melbourne is ridiculous

my rent in southeast melbourne has just gone up from 390 to 400 per week. this is ridiculous. so i am looking to move about an hour further out to get a 3bedroom place for 270-290pw. it is IMPOSSIBLE. i have savings, ive paid every single rent on time, and even though the rent i am applying for is FAR cheaper, I KEEP GETTING REJECTED!!! i am very frustrtated and no real estate agent is helping me. i dont know what to do. i feel like im going around in circles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also a single parent in SE and currently living with my mum. Have been looking at rentals for months but unless I move over the west gate or to pakenham I don't like my chances of moving out any time soon.

Pre baby when I lived alone I REALLY wanted this cute apartment, so I offered the bond plus 5 weeks rent .... And got it.
    The tip to offer more money was given by a real estate agent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do you have anyone else to go on the lease with you? Or someone who can go guarantor for you. Another good idea is to write a cover letter introducing yourself and explaining your situation, good rental history etc. this was how I managed to get a private rental as a single mother.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why don't your kids share a room? That way you would only need a two bedroom and you could get something smaller and cheaper like a unit. My kids have always shared.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Do you have any friends or family that can help out in some way or maybe talk to someone at Centerlink.

Or maybe something smaller and cheaper as others have suggested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister is in Skye and pays 320 for a really neat 5 yr old duplex. 3 bedrooms. She had also been in Langwarrin prior and there are alot of new unit complexes around there for around the same prices when they come up. Also I would ask the agent why you were not chosen given your good record and ask for future applications could they could give you any tips. My sister was being knocked back as she has been bankrupt but when explaining that it was the result of a marriage breakdown they accepted her application.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my kids are 23months and 9months, they really cant share atm, they both still wake at night. i have been applying in pakenham which is one of the newest and cheapest areas in melbourne because it is so far away from the city centre. the pakenham area has so many properties through one particular real estate agent who NEVER GET BACK TO ME or even tell me ive been rejected, ive had to call them. they give me no reason. on the phone this morning i even asked "can you give me any adivce to help with my application?" because i have included a cover letter explaining my situation and that i do infact have savings, she sounded younger than me and didnt seem to care less, she just repeated "it's upto the landlord, not us". i dont have supportive family or friends. my ex has offered to go on the lease with me but i just find that a bad idea, its asking for trouble...

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have savings can you pay a few months forward?

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are 17 months apart and shared from birth. Cots were 30cm apart with a nightlight between them.

You could also apply for a place with another single mum. My best friend did that and it worked great for both of them.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we had the same problem, to be close enough to my work (shifts) the rent would have been so high I would have had to go back to work straight away after dd was born. we looked further out and couldnt get anything.