+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding a newborn...help!

Hi all!
    My lil man is now 16days old and I'm exclusively breastfeeding him. The last 2days have been my living hell! It was all going well...he'd initially lost too much weight but has been gradually gaining it back. But these last 2days he's latching on to me n midway thru his feed he clamps down n stretches up away from my boobs or kinda shakes his head to the extent he's REALLY hurting me. I take him off wen he does this trying to teach him this is naughty but I'm stressing bout him putting on weight. Or not putting it on. But after this I'm extremely sore n one nipple now has a scab on it from last nights feed

Another thing...early on I was easily able to tell my boobs were getting bigger n ready to feed as well but now I can't tell....is this normal? My first attempt at properly expressing was the other day n I got 70ml from about 45mins with a pump but my nipples were really sore afterwards.

I'm so lost n confused about this all any words of wisdom would b much appreciated! Each time I speak with a mw or LC I end up stressed n in tears and feeling like a failure...yet he seems well n content n very alert. I just dunno wat to think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congrats on your baby boy! "Content and alert" is awesome!

45 minutes is a long time to pump, no wonder you were sore. Do you need to pump at the moment? It is usually easier to just work on breastfeeding for the first few weeks, and add in pumping later if necessary. If you do need to pump, just do 10 mins on each side - you can also watch when the milk stops coming flowing.

He is not being naughty at this stage, he might be trying to get another let down or it could be he is not quite feeling supported enough. Have a look at your attachment and how you hold baby, supporting babies back is important, is his chest to your chest, and his chin in to the breast? does he take the breast in and not just the nipple?

If he is slipping off, take him off and reattach before it gets to him only having a little bit in his mouth. Even if you have to reattach 20 times it is better than hurting your nipples. And it will get easier as you both get more experience at feeding.

Watch him when he feeds, and see if you can see signs before he pulls at the breast. Have your finger ready so you can break the seal before he pulls away.

Letting milk dry on your nipples can help with any sore bits. Lansinoh (from the chemist in a purple tube) is good too.

You can always ring the ABA on 1800 686 2 686 too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you hear him swallowing? Does the gulping seem to stop for a while before he does the "clampy" thing? Perhaps he isn't quite getting enough (which likely just means you need to cluster feed for a while to bump up your supply). I agree he may also be slipping off so I'd check that too. Has he regained his birthweight?

Is he having both sides? Perhaps when he slows down on the one side, don't give him a chance to get frustrated and "clamp down" but pop him off onto the other breast?

Just some thoughts, it's difficult to know without seeing/feeling what's going on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    P.S. Your nipples shouldn't be sore no matter how long you pump for - your pressure must be too high.

Also I think 70mLs is a fantastic amount to get out at only 2 weeks into breastfeeding!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    Congrats on your baby boy! "Content and alert" is awesome!

45 minutes is a long time to pump, no wonder you were sore. Do you need to pump at the moment? It is usually easier to just work on breastfeeding for the first few weeks, and add in pumping later if necessary. If you do need to pump, just do 10 mins on each side - you can also watch when the milk stops coming flowing.

He is not being naughty at this stage, he might be trying to get another let down or it could be he is not quite feeling supported enough. Have a look at your attachment and how you hold baby, supporting babies back is important, is his chest to your chest, and his chin in to the breast? does he take the breast in and not just the nipple?

If he is slipping off, take him off and reattach before it gets to him only having a little bit in his mouth. Even if you have to reattach 20 times it is better than hurting your nipples. And it will get easier as you both get more experience at feeding.

Watch him when he feeds, and see if you can see signs before he pulls at the breast. Have your finger ready so you can break the seal before he pulls away.

Letting milk dry on your nipples can help with any sore bits. Lansinoh (from the chemist in a purple tube) is good too.

You can always ring the ABA on 1800 686 2 686 too!
    Thank you
    I have Lansinoh Its been great but I think the bloody sore came as a result of last nights feed.

I've been closely watching how he's been latching n not letting him just attach to the nipple...n when it's hurting I always check he's got as much in his mouth as he can n not just the nipple. I guess I'm just not understanding why it's starting to hurt so much when we'd been doing it so well.

I pumped coz I'm still struggling feeding in public...I get a lil anxious if ppl r around n I have to feed...n now we r off to Sydney for 5days so he can meet my DFs grandparents (one is pretty sick so we want Jaxon to meet his great gran ASAP). N I was thinking that expressing for wen we were out would b easier on him and me.

For support I have a big boomerang pillow he lays on for feeding n then I also have my arms behind him with my hand under his neck n head...ive found it's much more cumfy this way without killing my arm muscle after a 40-60min feed.

Everyone tells me I'm doing well n I'm doing all the right things...but I can't help but doubt that...it just feels its getting harder n not easier :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Can you hear him swallowing? Does the gulping seem to stop for a while before he does the "clampy" thing? Perhaps he isn't quite getting enough (which likely just means you need to cluster feed for a while to bump up your supply). I agree he may also be slipping off so I'd check that too. Has he regained his birthweight?

Is he having both sides? Perhaps when he slows down on the one side, don't give him a chance to get frustrated and "clamp down" but pop him off onto the other breast?

Just some thoughts, it's difficult to know without seeing/feeling what's going on!
    Yeh it's easy to hear him swallowing...and it's a definite stop when he clamps down n moves...he's been a very wriggly baby even while I was preg everyone laughed he couldn't stay still... But while feeding it's painful

He hasn't regained birthweight yet...he lost 600g initially n at a weigh in on wed last week he still needed 200g to get back. What is cluster feeding?
    And how do u feed thru excruciating pain? Do u just grind ur teeth n deal with it? I've tried switching sides but that only works for a lil while. (oh n yes he feeds from both)

I know it's hard wen u cant see but I appreciate the advice
    Thank u

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have a lactation consultant in your area that you can go to and she can see you feed.

Breastfeeding was going great with my DS but then something just changed to i went to an LC to get a 'refresher' and we were on our way again.

I would keep and eye on him and break the seal with your finger just before the does the pull back action so its not hurting you.

Also.... i would forget to relax while feeding. My mum kept reminding me to relax and i found when i took deep breaths and wasnt tense, he fed a lot better. Breathing through the moments it hurt (like when we were establishing attachment) helped a lot for me also.

You're doing awesome!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennos Mummy View Post
    Do you have a lactation consultant in your area that you can go to and she can see you feed.

Breastfeeding was going great with my DS but then something just changed to i went to an LC to get a 'refresher' and we were on our way again.

I would keep and eye on him and break the seal with your finger just before the does the pull back action so its not hurting you.

Also.... i would forget to relax while feeding. My mum kept reminding me to relax and i found when i took deep breaths and wasnt tense, he fed a lot better. Breathing through the moments it hurt (like when we were establishing attachment) helped a lot for me also.

You're doing awesome!!
    Yeh I'm going to see a LC after we r back...we leave tomorrow at 6am so seeking any advice I can now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congrats on your new baby

firstly - you will need to feed 1-2hrly if you want bub to gain weight well. And since you are visitng rellies I suggest that you go into a private space and tell them you have baby duties. If that means you are locked away for an hour or so then its fine!!! your baby is more important.

keep bub as much as possible on your chest. skin/skin contact is great for the hormone boost.

are you eating/drinking enough water? bf uses up heaps of water so please drink 1 big glass for every feed that you do.

cluster feeding - offer 1 side till bub pulls off themselves. If the latch is uncomfortable (or you are in pain) then detach bub using your little finger to break the seal and reattach. When bub pulls off one boob - offer the other. Wait till bub either pulls of it or goes to sleep. If your son pulls off it - switch back to the other side till your baby decides it has enough. and keep going with switching sides. It could be 3-4hrs but this is how babies build up supply in mummies and helps them sleep better at night. also boobs refill in 20min. so whilst feeding from the left the right is filling up again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take your pillow with you. I used a similar pillow at the start too. i found it better to support bub with my hand in the middle of his back at the top, rather than his head, if i tried to push his head towards me he would pull back - but not if i was pushing him towards me from his back.

Feeding directly from the breast will be easier for both of you, if you can. i was so nervous about feeding in public at the start but then baby was hungry at the shops and it was so much easier and 'discreet' to sit and feed than to have a screaming baby or try to work a bottle when baby just wanted boob.

i was also really surprised at how comfortable my grandparents were with me feeding. i moved into a different room to feed, but my Nan followed and then sat right next to me chatting. You can always say you need a bit of space too, people understand you are both still learning.

The ABA can be really good if you want to talk to someone, put the number in your phone in case you want to chat while you are away.

take care