+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jayde25 and anyone else reading this,

Jayde - thanks for the pillowsonline link. I see they have a range of "Bambi" pillows made from plant fibres, and these are certainly well-priced. Do you know if they make any claims for the pillows in relation to flat head syndrome / plagiocephaly? I couldn't see any information as to pillow shape or therapeutic value on the website - the pics didn't give anything away. Is anything written in the printed material that comes with the pillow?

In relation to the very important point about whether or not one can safely use a Baby pillow, I was interested to read this on MumsNet.com (original source ascribed to http://lillakuddisbabypillows.co.uk)

"Sweden, one of the leading countries in Paediatric and baby care research, acknowledged Plagiocephaly in 2000 and introduced baby pillows as a preventative measure. Since 2000 the Swedish Department of Health’s guideline is for all newborn and infants to sleep on their backs and to use a soft baby pillow positioned under the head and shoulders. (See recommendations from the Swedish Dept of Health).

"During this time there have never been any adverse affects. Sweden has the third lowest rate of cot death or Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) in the world, nearly half that of the UK. As part of the Swedish ante natal classes, Paediatricians and Health Visitors recommend using baby pillows for all newborn and young babies. New parents are informed about the importance of newborn babies using baby pillows at home when sleeping and playing on their backs. This message is given along side guidance on repositioning of the baby’s head left and right, a method used to prevent pressure against one particular area of the head, combined with practising supervised tummy time at playtime (without the pillow). (See Information to all new parents by the leading Queen Silvia’s Children & Youth Hospital in Sweden)." From the Lilla Kudis website. (They were formerly Goi Goi pillows).

As the contributor on Mumsnet.com wrote, "I think it's important to go with what you are comfortable with". Yep, it's certainly hard to disagree with that!

For those interested, I have also looked at several other baby pillows since my last post -
    * Jojo Maman Bebe pillow (suggested by someone on Mumsnet.com)
    * Lilla Kuddis Swedish baby pillows (http://lillakuddisbabypillows.co.uk)
    * Theraline Baby pillow (http://www.theraline.co.uk/babypillow.htm).

The Jojo Maman pillow seems suffer from exactly the same fault as the Mija - it is memory foam. It's site claims "The foam reacts by softening and moulding itself to the exact contours of the head" and yet also says, "First pillow that helps prevent flat head syndrome". I thought about this and it suddenly hit me, if the foam softens and moulds to the head shape of your DC - which seems a fair claim for this material - how on earth is it going to help correct a flat head?! It can't because it is simply mirroring the shape that is already there !! Am I missing something? (Besides, it's not breathable material).

The Lilla Kuddis - the website shows pictures but I've not yet seen an actual pillow. It appears to be very well supported by the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (http://lillakuddisbabypillows.co.uk/...-medical-info/) as well as medics and paediatric osteopaths in the UK. It's also a very good price so I have written to them to obtain a sample.

Theraline - link given above. Again a good price. I am yet to see one to get a sense of how effective they might be. The site talks of a "pre-shaped indent" but I notice that one size seems to fit all ..... Hmmm, well that will depend on how they have designed the indent of course. I guess they have thought of that, though the picture didn't make it obvious. Like Lilla Kuddis the Theraline looks like it it could be a useful asset with a baby with a flat head.

I continue to sell the Mimos, and continue to get great feedback, but I see no harm at all in researching other options and so being able to offer a properly balanced viewpoint on this important subject.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Joyaa, where do you sell these mimo pillows? Kind regards, Vital Mum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My older 2 were not given a pillow until they were around 2yrs old and they never had flat heads and I will be sticking to that with DS2 no matter what it just isn't worth the risk IMO. Plus all the babies I know that have ever had flat spots usually correct themselves when they start rolling over.
    Last edited by loodle; 25-05-2013 at 15:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by vitalmum View Post
    Joyaa, where do you sell these mimo pillows? Kind regards, Vital Mum
    Vital Mum - we are on the Gold Coast, Qld. Google 'gold coast osteopathy mimos' (without the quotes) and you will find us. You can drop us an email there and if I know of a supplier closer to you I can let you know. That said, I am in Sydney on a training course this week so my correspondence is patchier than usual but I'll do my best.

Pillows can be useful - sometimes very useful. Positioning advice is essential - and complying with that advice just as essential! Response to therapy is also dependent on other factors - like general muscle tone, other problems (e.g. CDH [hip dysplasia], torticollis [wry neck]). I will comment on loodle's comment separately. Cheers, Joyaa

Thanks
    Reviews
    The last little one I cared for was in the NICU and they had her on a gel pillow. If it was a SIDS risk they wouldn't be using it in the NICU. I have the Mije Baby Head Rest. It is not a "pillow" as such and does not pose any SIDS risk. Works really well to prevent flat head, and helps to correct an already flat head.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Joyaa  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    My older 2 were not given a pillow until they were around 2yrs old and they never had flat heads and I will be sticking to that with DS2 no matter what it just isn't worth the risk IMO. Plus all the babies I know that have ever had flat spots usually correct themselves when they start rolling over.
    Hi loodle,

Generally if your baby doesn't have a flat head there's likely no need to buy a special pillow. However, one obvious exception would be a baby with low muscle tone - doesn't move much, doesn't roll, lies in the same position a lot AND has a habit of turning head to just one side. In this case positioning advice and a pillow can be helpful.

In relation to risks - specifically SIDS - I haven't heard of any problems with either the Mimos or Lilla Kuddis pillows. If I am wrong about this, please (someone) let me know. It doesn't mean that I can "guarantee" either - they may be found to be risk-free for 50 years and then there is a single instance of a problem ... all I know is that they appear to have been problem-free to date and are recommended by therapists, paediatricians etc in various parts of the world - and of course there certainly haven't been any problems amongst my clients.

In relation to "all the babies you know", if you are a therapist on the Gold Coast I can possibly direct you to counter-examples I know of - children aged 4.. 6.. with flat heads. Much more rarely I have come across adults with flat heads: given that our understandable back-to-sleep practices are relatively recent it will be interesting to see whether more adults with flat heads come into our clinics in future years. Of course better have a flat head than the tragedy of SIDS!!

Your last sentence almost seemed to suggest that no treatment for flat head syndrome is necessary other than learn to roll in due course. I appreciate that you did say "usually"(!) but I'd like to add that I think it is important not to suggest that no advice work to reposition the baby is necessary, no manual therapy for neck or upper back strains, no therapy to release base of skull compressions or strains, no helmeting ever required etc. Each individual bub is a different case.

Finally - sometimes a DS/DD is brought to the clinic with parents worried about a possible flat head and my job is to reassure them that bub's head really is fine. (You don't fix what isn't there).

Warm regards, J.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see why out of all the other posts mine was the one singled out, I was just stating my opinion on the subject and what I know from what I had been told. The good thing about living in this time is that everyone is entitled to their opinion and the great thing about public forums on the internet is that everyone can voice their opinion, and not using a pillow is mine however if a Dr suggested it then I would probably use one but using one just to prevent a flat head then no sorry I feel it isn't worth the risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi loodle,

Nothing personal - my computer went straight to "page 2" of the thread and I responded to what I saw there - that's all.

Joyaa

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the input....i sourced a mimos pillow in melbourne. Acutally my family chiropractor, Dr Gillian Nixon, sourced one and is now going to stock them. Vital Spines in East Ivanhoe 94997005 www.vitalspines.com.au if anyone else in melbourne wants one.
    WE have already had great changes with DD with her chiropractic care but want to do more while she is sleeping etc. Thanks for all the input bub hubbers! xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks vitalmum!
    I don't know Melbourne geography, but for those closer to Fairfield, this lady also stocks the pillows - http://www.osteo4kidsfairfield.com/O...steopaths.html - and possibly she may know of other stockists in Melbourne.