+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's wrong. If a scan is needed for whatever reason (perhaps to establish gestation? I dunno), there's no reason the woman should have to look at any of it.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's wrong. Why have freedom of anything if people are just going to continue to try and take basic human rights away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Personally, I am pro-life but I accept that I can't change other people's choices. Those that make this decision usually aren't doing it on a whim and it's undoubtedly a difficult choice for them to make. To me, I don't think doing this would make them change their mind but I do think that it would almost certainly cause them a significant amount of extra emotional pain on top of what they would already experience.

It's almost as though in doing this the pro-lifers will get their "pound of flesh" and make women who get an abortion really pay for what they're doing.

To answer the original question, no I wouldn't go through with an abortion under those circumstances but I wouldn't have one anyway. I don't, however, see why legislation should be brought in to make a terribly difficult decision even worse for the women involved. Horrible.
    Totally agree with everything you've said. It's not an path I would ever take under any circumstance, but my personal choices shouldn't mean other women are punished... and yes it is like a pound of flesh. I'm all for informing them of the procedure, making 100% sure they are sure. But this can't just be a pro life agenda to either guilt women into not aborting or scarring them as some kind of punishment. I know people will say it isn't... but really, let's be real... it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post

Is your intent to educate her, purely so the decision she makes is an informed one? Or is it to dissuade her, with the hope that "surely if she understands what she's doing, she won't go ahead with it"? Because the former makes good sense. But the latter is agenda-laden, demeaning and cruel.
    This too you worded better than me... what is the true motivation here??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To those who are arguing that a woman needs to be fully informed of what she's doing... I agree, but I think that motivation is key here.

Is your intent to educate her, purely so the decision she makes is an informed one? Or is it to dissuade her, with the hope that "surely if she understands what she's doing, she won't go ahead with it"? Because the former makes good sense. But the latter is agenda-laden, demeaning and cruel.
    I would hope the aim would be for a well rounded decision to be made (as lets face it, it isn't an easy one to make), the mother fully informed and educated with fact. Though given it is a government initiative who knows the real motivation.

For some women who are victims of abuse etc, the image would have little impact on an already concreted decision (as a PP mentioned). Who knows, for those women who have been coerced or pressured to have the procedure by (as are some of the stories here on the hub), the image may just give them strength to continue on.

It really is a tricky topic... But I can definitely see validity in the argument that it could be considered a tool for emotional blackmail. I should hope that wasn't the case

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    To those who are arguing that a woman needs to be fully informed of what she's doing... I agree, but I think that motivation is key here.

My intent would be to stop situations where I had my best friend crying on my shoulder because she regretted the abortion she had while suffering ppd and not comprehending what she was doing.

I'm anti abortion, but it wouldn't be my aim to play the guilt trip.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

katezane  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See, if I were to have an abortion it wouldn't be because I loathe the thought of my uterus being inhabited, or I hate babies, or just love the idea of termination. It would be because I, and my partner, had together decided that *now* was not a good time for us. That we had thought over all the consequences of continuing the pregnancy and decided it was a good idea not to do it.

It would still be an effing hard decision, but it would be one that I would feel was a good decision because we would not be ready for another child in our care at that point in time.

To parade an U/S image of a baby would make my heart ache. Because honestly, my heart is a fool and wants stuff that is stupid. My heart is an idiot. My heart would be happy if I was on drugs, or if all I did was sleep all day, or whatever. It does not have the ability to make rational decisions, but pop that little baby on screen and it would dominate my head. My head, and my partner's head, that had decided that a baby was a bad idea for us at that point in time.

It might actually convince me to have a baby that I actually do not want to have, and that I would probably regret having (but of course, never admit that, because who wants to be the mother who says, "Yeah, I really wish I had have terminated after all"?).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (29-05-2012)