+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think so, I think it's pretty cruel thing to do.

But.... I do think the procedure needs to be fully explained in detail, what happens, why, etc. And that can be done without being forced to see an ultrasound. There should be no surprises, no unanswered questions, or unexplored options.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was going to agree with parts of regina phalange post, but it seems to be gone. [text was deleted by poster]

As much as compulsory viewing of the ultrasound irks me, i also dont understand the head in the sand mentality.

I believe women getting an abortion need to be better educated so as to make an INFORMED decision which is less likely to be regretted later in life. I too am constantly surprised at how many women think a foetus is just a bunch of cells up to 12 weeks gestation, and that women who have had the procedure done, have absolutely no idea what was done to them and their baby. But, i dont think that forcing them to watch an ultrasound will help at all, it will only lead to further distress.. unless the woman is already having doubts and then decides against the procedure. But the compulsory viewing can not be blanketly applied for this small nimber of women who may change their mind.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 29-05-2012 at 00:37.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Forcing is a 3 world/old world practice (I think forced abortions,adoptions and segregation) it should never happen in Australia for any reason.
    It's not a decision that's made lightly and TBH if it is maybe the mother is not ready to b a parent. Nothing wrong with that its better than creating a life that u don't want iykwim.
    I'm pretty sure they do a date scan before the termination takes place which is fine for medical purposes but to force a woman to look at the heartbeat and limbs is way too much. Her body, her choice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Oh, and I believe I am responding to the original question. Some of you have said you agree with compulsory ultrasounds (and as they are already compulsory I think she was referring to forcing a woman to see it).
    If you agree, I would like to hear how it would be enforced in your world. Not an unreasonable question I think
    I said i believe dating scans should be compulsory (which I believe they are). Whether a woman looks/listens is up to her, but if she's there, I think closing eyes/blocking ears would be the only option to avoid seeing/hearing it? I don't think it's unreasonable to turn the screen away and I don't think it's necessary for the sonographer to give a full on commentary, although I do think it's important a woman is aware of how pregnant she is. But the scan is necessary, and I do think it's in the womans best interests to be fully aware of exactly what it is she is doing- which I think should be covered in the counselling.

I know it's painful and confronting and do not in any way condone a full on scan forcing a woman to look at anatomy etc, but I believe a lot of women try to be detached and it catches up with them later when it's too late to change their mind.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    It would be enforced before the abortion and performed like any other ultrasound. Obviously you cant force someone to watch or listen so *enforcing* that part is impoosible. But yes, i believe the screen should be turned in the normal position and not turned away and the sonographer should give a commentary. The women should be made aware of exactly what stage her baby is at.

How much she chooses to listen to is not something that can be measured or forced.

I have read many times that women who view an ultrasound of their baby are much less likely to follow through with an abortion. There are statistics but im on my phone and cant look up properly. The statistics alone make compulsory ultrasounds worthwhile imo. The more babies that escape abortion, the better in my eyes. :-)

Totally agree..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many women emotionally detatch themselves before an abortion...
    I think you'll find that this is how most human beings cope when going through something traumatic, whether it be an abusive relationship, sexual abuse, whatever.

I looked at my ultrasound and still went through with the procedure. And it was the best option for me at the time.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to T 800 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (29-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (29-05-2012),halloweendee  (29-05-2012),SassyMummy  (29-05-2012),ThreePeasPlease  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have read many times that women who view an ultrasound of their baby are much less likely to follow through with an abortion. The more babies that escape abortion, the better in my eyes. :-)
    For some but not for others. Women should get to choose whether they want to see the ultrasound or not. I personally have always viewed the ultrasound before going through the procedure and asked for photos. But for some women it's just not necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Personally, I am pro-life but I accept that I can't change other people's choices. Those that make this decision usually aren't doing it on a whim and it's undoubtedly a difficult choice for them to make. To me, I don't think doing this would make them change their mind but I do think that it would almost certainly cause them a significant amount of extra emotional pain on top of what they would already experience.

It's almost as though in doing this the pro-lifers will get their "pound of flesh" and make women who get an abortion really pay for what they're doing.

To answer the original question, no I wouldn't go through with an abortion under those circumstances but I wouldn't have one anyway. I don't, however, see why legislation should be brought in to make a terribly difficult decision even worse for the women involved. Horrible.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (29-05-2012),halloweendee  (29-05-2012),T 800  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post

It's almost as though in doing this the pro-lifers will get their "pound of flesh" and make women who get an abortion really pay for what they're doing.

To answer the original question, no I wouldn't go through with an abortion under those circumstances but I wouldn't have one anyway. I don't, however, see why legislation should be brought in to make a terribly difficult decision even worse for the women involved. Horrible.
    i love that you are pro-life yet still have empathy to see it from another person's point of view.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To those who are arguing that a woman needs to be fully informed of what she's doing... I agree, but I think that motivation is key here.

Is your intent to educate her, purely so the decision she makes is an informed one? Or is it to dissuade her, with the hope that "surely if she understands what she's doing, she won't go ahead with it"? Because the former makes good sense. But the latter is agenda-laden, demeaning and cruel.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Benji  (29-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (29-05-2012),halloweendee  (29-05-2012),SassyMummy  (29-05-2012),T 800  (29-05-2012)