+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    [text deleted by moderator]

In regards to the OP - no. i do not agree with making the woman watch the anatomy scan prior to a medical abortion. I think counselling should be provided (primarily to ensure that the woman is there of her own free will). And while I'm not sure how it works in other places, at the clinics in my area, they do the scan (to ensure they know where the fetus is, gestation etc), and women are given the option to view if they want. And they are given good counseling + family planning help for afterwards. its not just 'walk off the street, and done 20min later'.

So have the scan, sure - but i don't agree with having to watch it. and i *definitely* do not EVER agree with it being mandatory internal u/s.
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 28-05-2012 at 23:21. Reason: response to deleted text

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

T 800  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    I totally agree. I think an ultrasound should be compulsory along with extensive counselling before a termination is performed. Many women emotionally detatch themselves before an abortion and it isn't until later that they realise an actual life was ended. Viewing an ultrasound and being presented with the facts of their pregnancy means that there will be pretty much no way a woman can avoid being fully informed.
    And just how do you propose the woman be forced to see the ultrasound? Or to hear the commentary of the sonographer? Eyelids forced open clockwork orange style?
    Women already have an uss. They are given the option of seeing the screen. To force them to look is nothing short of torture and a loss of basic human rights.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (28-05-2012),Gandalf  (28-05-2012),misskittyfantastico  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    And just how do you propose the woman be forced to see the ultrasound? Or to hear the commentary of the sonographer? Eyelids forced open clockwork orange style?
    Women already have an uss. They are given the option of seeing the screen. To force them to look is nothing short of torture and a loss of basic human rights.
    oh i know! we could go exactly the same way as america.

Regardless of whether women want to look at the screen or not, we could have the sonographer point out each and every little part of the scan as they do it. 40minutes of being told every.single.little.thing

would *that* be enough 'informed consent'.
    maybe we could also sit these women infront of a movie...like babies. so they understand *exactly* what it is they're doing.

[and then...when we've gone this far/made it illegal - that farmers gonna give us *ALL* his chickens. ALL his chickens ]
    Last edited by Gandalf; 28-05-2012 at 23:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No of course there is no way to make them look or listen. If a woman chooses to close her eyes or block out the sonographer, then she can't be forced. I still think it should be a compulsory requirement before an abortion though, which was the OPs original question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    No of course there is no way to make them look or listen. If a woman chooses to close her eyes or block out the sonographer, then she can't be forced. I still think it should be a compulsory requirement before an abortion though, which was the OPs original question.
    But do you really think that a woman should be reduced to having to close her eyes and block her ears?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and I believe I am responding to the original question. Some of you have said you agree with compulsory ultrasounds (and as they are already compulsory I think she was referring to forcing a woman to see it).
    If you agree, I would like to hear how it would be enforced in your world. Not an unreasonable question I think

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (28-05-2012),T 800  (29-05-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No. I'm 100% against, the idea is simply abhorrent.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    i have deleted a number of posts in this thread.

Please keep in mind that a number of bubhub members have had terminations (for a wide variety of reasons) and this is a VERY emotional and sensitive topic.

Therefore, please ensure that your opinion is very carefully worded to not cause unnecessary hardship to women who have already endured enough.

This is the first and only warning.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (28-05-2012),RainbowSky  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, not on your nelly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and I believe I am responding to the original question. Some of you have said you agree with compulsory ultrasounds (and as they are already compulsory I think she was referring to forcing a woman to see it).
    If you agree, I would like to hear how it would be enforced in your world. Not an unreasonable question I think
    It would be enforced before the abortion and performed like any other ultrasound. Obviously you cant force someone to watch or listen so *enforcing* that part is impoosible. But yes, i believe the screen should be turned in the normal position and not turned away and the sonographer should give a commentary. The women should be made aware of exactly what stage her baby is at.

How much she chooses to listen to is not something that can be measured or forced.

I have read many times that women who view an ultrasound of their baby are much less likely to follow through with an abortion. There are statistics but im on my phone and cant look up properly. The statistics alone make compulsory ultrasounds worthwhile imo. The more babies that escape abortion, the better in my eyes. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (29-05-2012)