+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katezane View Post
    I think abortion should not rushed into quickly. I also think people should have to see s councillor do they can talk openly to someone and hopefully work out what they really think is best. Ultrasounds should be a must have as I have heard women of over 3 months going in to have a termination and just lying about how far along they are.

A session with a gynecologist should also be arranged for after the procedure where the work out some sort of birth control.
    From what I have heard a termination is as easy as making an appointment going in and getting put to sleep then waking up to tea and bickies then you pay you $300.00 and off you go!
    I'd say you are hearing rumours and lies.

it doesn't work that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I'd say you are hearing rumours and lies.

it doesn't work that way.
    Hope not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think there is some value in showing the anatomy as I believe it should be part of making a well informed decision. In other areas of medical practice, the absence of information before undergoing any procedure is unheard of. Perhaps showing the mother the screen may be considered emotionally manipulative, but delivering information about the stage of the foetus isn't something I would consider outlandish

4. The Following User Says Thank You to squirrelex For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As far as I am aware singleton terminations are not performed by injecting anything into the fetus' heart? I imagine in the case of the 60 minutes story they would need to do this as a traditional termination would be dangerous to any remaining fetus. To answer the OP, absolutely not, a woman's reasons for wanting a termination could be easily skewed by seeing little arms and legs. I do believe counseling services need to be better, especially follow up appointments
    IF women need them.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (28-05-2012),katezane  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katezane View Post
    I think abortion should not rushed into quickly. I also think people should have to see s councillor do they can talk openly to someone and hopefully work out what they really think is best. Ultrasounds should be a must have as I have heard women of over 3 months going in to have a termination and just lying about how far along they are.

A session with a gynecologist should also be arranged for after the procedure where the work out some sort of birth control.
    From what I have heard a termination is as easy as making an appointment going in and getting put to sleep then waking up to tea and bickies then you pay you $300.00 and off you go!
    Sorry but no, there is NO truth to this at all, ultrasound (not anatomy) is a standard procedure before termination as is seeing a doctor to discuss contraception, many women have contraceptives (implanon/mirena) inserted during the procedure, you see a counselor before.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

T 800  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do not like the choice of aborting but I do support a woman's right to choose this option and so I am appalled by the suggestion that a woman should be forced to see an ultrasound and be told about the legs, arms etc.

This is simply a pro life, dare I say anti female, poorly veiled attempt by conservative governments to guilt women into continuing with a pregnancy and it is wrong on so many levels.

I do not know all the steps entailed in a termination but from the little I do know I do think that more counseling needs to be provided to ensure that a woman truly is making the decision of her choosing.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

delirium  (28-05-2012),halloweendee  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
    Sorry but no, there is NO truth to this at all, ultrasound (not anatomy) is a standard procedure before termination as is seeing a doctor to discuss contraception, many women have contraceptives (implanon/mirena) inserted during the procedure, you see a counselor before.
    You know what, that isn't necessarily the case... i attended a fairly large clinic in melb, and aside from the protestors at the door it was pretty much what the pp said. pay your money, brief chat with a counsellor, ultrasound (screen facing away), get put to sleep, wake up, cup of tea and out the door. of course emotionally it wasn't that cut and dried, but i didn't really know how big the baby was or anything and hadn't let myself get too emotional about it all. the counseling and discussion of contraception was cursory at best, the after care was basic, and there was certainly no follow up of any kind. They really seemed to want to get the most women through the door in the shortest amount of time... not a nice place at all.

oh and my gp had no way of knowing how far i was, only my word, so i have no doubt that there are many women who go with little idea of how far they are - the ultrasound is a necessity imo, just maybe not forcing women to see it.
    Last edited by twotrunks; 28-05-2012 at 22:49.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

katezane  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    No, it's manipulation.

It's designed to make you want to keep the foetus by forcing you into an emotional and instinctive bond. Emotion cannot care for or pay for a baby.
    It is dangerous to both mother and potential child to force the woman into an emotional attachment that may not last after the birth.
    This (kind of) is why an ultrasound is so necessary IMO.

I think every woman has the right to bond with her baby. And we, as a society, should be ensuring that there is sufficient physical and emotional support for all children to be born and cared for.

Also in the States (Texas?) they brought in a 24hr wait rule where you stayed without your partner etc so you couldn't be coerced. Apparently the no. of abortions dropped dramatically. I think this is a good idea, too.

FTR I think the "my body, my choice" concept is not true. We shouldn't be self-harming or suiciding (there's a lot of funding going towards the prevention of these) - why should we abort, just cos its "my body"? What about the baby's body?

Abortion hurts women, physically and emotionally. And we're the most aborted gender!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelex View Post
    I think there is some value in showing the anatomy as I believe it should be part of making a well informed decision. In other areas of medical practice, the absence of information before undergoing any procedure is unheard of. Perhaps showing the mother the screen may be considered emotionally manipulative, but delivering information about the stage of the foetus isn't something I would consider outlandish
    I totally agree. I think an ultrasound should be compulsory along with extensive counselling before a termination is performed. Many women emotionally detatch themselves before an abortion and it isn't until later that they realise an actual life was ended. Viewing an ultrasound and being presented with the facts of their pregnancy means that there will be pretty much no way a woman can avoid being fully informed.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (28-05-2012),VicPark  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    It is dangerous to both mother and potential child to force the woman into an emotional attachment that may not last after the birth.
    More dangerous to the child than death by abortion???

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (28-05-2012),VicPark  (29-05-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast