+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Op, thanks for asking people to debate the topic not the poster.

I think anatomy scans should be compulsory (in conjunction with robust counsellIng) for non medical abortions. For a couple of reasons:

1) To ensure that the mother fully comprehends what she is about to do ....so that down the track there are no regrets that lead to severe distress for the mother.
    - I just spent last night comforting a good friend who like a previous poster became distressed after seeing the 60 minutes 'selective reduction' story. My friend had an abortion several years ago because she was in shock falling pregnant soon after the birth of another child. She thought her and hubby were not in a position to bring another child into the world. From what she's told me she blocked out
    Everything and went into robotic mode. I think she was stressed (ppd?) and made a decision without fully comprehending it. She totally regrets the abortion and can't believe she did it, or that the process was allowed to be so easy. If she would have had an anatomy scan she would have bonded with the bub and be happy with a toddler right now (her words).
    - I believe women should be in 100% sound mind and understand 100% what they are doing before an abortion is allowed

2) The baby is a living being .... To ensure that the mother comprehends 100% what they are about to do....It's the least that can be done before ending the bubba's life.

3) cost/benefit: i understand that the scans may cause additional stress to women who will go through with an abortion anyway. But it may also save some bubba's...and reduce heartache in the long run. To me, the benefits outweigh the cost.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

All smiles  (29-05-2012),austmum  (27-05-2012),mrsd  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes but what about rape victims or say 14 year olds? Is it fair they have to watch an ultrasound? That's why I'm not a fan of compulsory , optional yes

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-05-2012),Benji  (27-05-2012),Etienne  (28-05-2012),Gandalf  (28-05-2012),halloweendee  (27-05-2012),Liddybugs  (27-05-2012),trishalishous  (27-05-2012),twotrunks  (27-05-2012),Witwicky  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yes but what about rape victims or say 14 year olds? Is it fair they have to watch an ultrasound? That's why I'm not a fan of compulsory , optional yes
    I agree rape victims should be exempt. As for the 14 year old... If it was statutory rape then there should be an exemption. If the girl was pregnant to her 14 year old boyfriend then I don't think there should be an exemption. 14 year olds need to understand what they are doing as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The thing is though, IME most women that regret their abortions regret them not bc they didn't know it had a heartbeat, but bc in hindsight, with more support/a partner not forcing them etc, they would have kept the baby.

Not all women that regret their terminations do so bc they didn't know how developed it was. I don't agree with the procedure, but what this will do is actually create much more angst and guilt than if it wasn't done.

I'm very supportive of counselling as I said to make sure they are sure and aren't being coerced etc. But this just sticks out to me to be both a guilt trip and a manipulation of women into not aborting. I don't support that.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (28-05-2012),T 800  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    No. I can never agree with it being compulsory.

Some states in the US are proposing compulsory transvaginal ultrasounds which are incredibly invasive. Very glad I do not live there.
    this is horrific. yet another right wing, male dominated political party in america forcing control over women's bodies. horrendous.
    i can only hope that the law is not passed - what a disgusting invasion. particularly if the pregnancy is the result of incest or rape.

i believe a woman has the right to do what she wants with her body. politicians, doctors, other women - should not have the authority to subject women to procedures designed purely to make them feel guilty (as a dating scan without forcing the woman to watch gather the information required).

yes, i have had an abortion. it was not long after my husband (then boyfriend) got together but we were in no way ready to have a child.
    we now have 2 beautiful children and i don't regret it at all. neither does he.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Sparker  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    how about education at school re - developmental stages.

I have a book titled 'the human body' so even my 7 and 5 year olds have seen diagrams of development stages.

I agree with it being offered as an 'option', with the offer of counselling too.

...but NO WAY compulsory.

Edit to add >> when I terminated a pregnancy at 17 - the person doing the ultra sound offered a view of the screen. I accepted. My dates would have put me at 10weeks, but the sac showed that nothing had developed beyond a few weeks. Basically I would have miscarried. I highly doubt I would have changed my mind either way, but I am glad I atleast had the 'option' to view.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 27-05-2012 at 22:49.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I have a friend who watched the 60 minutes show the other night and has actually had a mental breakdown as a result, she had an abortion of convenience last year and thought she was okay with it, she said she never knew they injected the heart or that her baby was that developed at that gestation. It's obviously not something she can change, but she said she wishes she knew those things before going in and is now getting some pretty full on mental health treatment.

Can you make the right choice without knowing all the facts?

I still don't think it should be compulsory, but I do wonder if more information to make the choice is necessary.
    Yes, I had people on a friend's status tell me that "the baby is sedated so it doesn't feel any pain" umm no, sorry, its not. It gets an injection of potassium straight to the heart and goes into cardiac arrest- thats painful!

People make these decisions lightly, they aren't always thought out and people aren't always educated.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (28-05-2012),nicoletta  (28-05-2012),trishalishous  (27-05-2012),twotrunks  (27-05-2012),VicPark  (27-05-2012)

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely not. It is so, so wrong

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that a scan should be done to check dates, and to ensure where the foetus has implanted, but I believe it is unnecessary for the woman to HAVE to see it. She has made her decision, if she is uncertain she can decide if she would like to see, but to make it compulsory just seems unnecessary. And while I agree that alot of woman regret a termination, and may feel guilt and wonder about the future that may have been, I believe that there are also some woman, where the regret and guilt is more at the need to have a termination rather than the decision to have one and if they relived that time, they would still come to the same decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, who's going to pay for it? We can't force someone to pay out of pocket for a medical procedure they so not want and government $$ spent on it would be a big fast waste

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub