Back in March I posted that my son was undergoing some hearing tests. He failed the first and then weeks later failed the second. After the second test, I was convinced that he simply wouldn't tolerate the testing and that's why he failed - both audiologists said this was definitely a possibility and that he'd need further and final testing under sedation to get any sort of accurate result.
So we finally had those done on Thursday. He was admitted to hospital for the day, then sedated, then the tests began. The testing took probably around 1.5 hours...about 40 minutes before it ended it started to rain, I could see it out of the small window in the room and I'm not sure why I felt everything would change from that moment on, but it did. And I was right. He's partially deaf. He can't hear anything under 45 dcp and what he can hear is very muffled, which explains why he isn't talking yet. This isn't a fluid issue - we're passed grommets. From memory sign language and cochlear implants were mentioned...and I know everything was explained to us but to be honest at that moment everything was kind of fuzzy for both my husband and I, quite naturally. The report will be posted to us this week and he's on an urgent referral list to an ENT. Until then we've told just to read to him as much as possible and have him very close to us and speak loudly/clearly to his face - obviously we've informed daycare and family/friends to do the same.
Since Thursday I've been working non stop and only now have I actually had time to just "sit" with this. I know this is news for us, and not for our son - he's still the same happy, lovely little boy he always has been. His hearing was fine at birth, so I know I didn't cause this by doing anything wrong during my pregnancy. He's never been around loud noises...however I did (now, regrettably) take him to the doctors just before his 1st birthday as he was just so sick...terrible chest infection and cough, we had to postpone his party. Anyway he was put on anti-biotics and of course I've just been researching how anti-biotics can cause hearing loss in children. I am trying really hard not to blame myself or try and find a definitive answer (I was told we'll likely never have one) - I don't know. I know "it could be worse" and "at least we have answers" but to be honest I will scream at the next person who says it. Yeah, I know it's well meaning but just stop?! It's not your child - you're not the one..ugh enough of that, if I keep going on this tangent then I won't stop writing lol.
We'll make decisions when the time comes, and follow the advice in the meantime, and of course not treat him any differently than normal apart from trying to communicate with him more effectively...but if there is anyone here who has a child with hearing problems I would love to hear from you. I would just really love to chat or talk to someone who understands this - not just what it means for the child but how it feels for the mother in the immediate stage after diagnosis. Thanks.