+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default My 2 year old son is partially deaf. Half rant/Half cry for help.

Back in March I posted that my son was undergoing some hearing tests. He failed the first and then weeks later failed the second. After the second test, I was convinced that he simply wouldn't tolerate the testing and that's why he failed - both audiologists said this was definitely a possibility and that he'd need further and final testing under sedation to get any sort of accurate result.

So we finally had those done on Thursday. He was admitted to hospital for the day, then sedated, then the tests began. The testing took probably around 1.5 hours...about 40 minutes before it ended it started to rain, I could see it out of the small window in the room and I'm not sure why I felt everything would change from that moment on, but it did. And I was right. He's partially deaf. He can't hear anything under 45 dcp and what he can hear is very muffled, which explains why he isn't talking yet. This isn't a fluid issue - we're passed grommets. From memory sign language and cochlear implants were mentioned...and I know everything was explained to us but to be honest at that moment everything was kind of fuzzy for both my husband and I, quite naturally. The report will be posted to us this week and he's on an urgent referral list to an ENT. Until then we've told just to read to him as much as possible and have him very close to us and speak loudly/clearly to his face - obviously we've informed daycare and family/friends to do the same.

Since Thursday I've been working non stop and only now have I actually had time to just "sit" with this. I know this is news for us, and not for our son - he's still the same happy, lovely little boy he always has been. His hearing was fine at birth, so I know I didn't cause this by doing anything wrong during my pregnancy. He's never been around loud noises...however I did (now, regrettably) take him to the doctors just before his 1st birthday as he was just so sick...terrible chest infection and cough, we had to postpone his party. Anyway he was put on anti-biotics and of course I've just been researching how anti-biotics can cause hearing loss in children. I am trying really hard not to blame myself or try and find a definitive answer (I was told we'll likely never have one) - I don't know. I know "it could be worse" and "at least we have answers" but to be honest I will scream at the next person who says it. Yeah, I know it's well meaning but just stop?! It's not your child - you're not the one..ugh enough of that, if I keep going on this tangent then I won't stop writing lol.

We'll make decisions when the time comes, and follow the advice in the meantime, and of course not treat him any differently than normal apart from trying to communicate with him more effectively...but if there is anyone here who has a child with hearing problems I would love to hear from you. I would just really love to chat or talk to someone who understands this - not just what it means for the child but how it feels for the mother in the immediate stage after diagnosis. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Huge hugs.

A friends son was fitted with cochlear implants as a baby. He has done remarkably well since then and is now talking very very clearly.

I will pm you the link to her blog/website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no advice but couldn't read and not comment. Your an amazing person and you will come through this stronger with that gorgeous boy of yours!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Hun sending you and your family loads of hugs

I personally don't know how you are feeling but I can be a friendly ear if you need, I have worked in the disability field for many years and have worked with some beautiful people who have different severities of hearing loss. I would also like to point you in the direction of the special needs section, I know there are a couple of people in there who have children with hearing loss.
    If I can help in anyway please let me know

Thanks
    Reviews
    ((( HUGS)))) it may seem so.dark and cloudy now but I'm sure you will soon find your way through the fog.
    It's a lot of new information, life changes and understanding for you all but you will succeed through your love for your little one.
    I too can somewhat understand where you are coming from, our DS is 15mths corrected and failed all his hearing tests yet we still don't have final diagnosis, we usually get the " he's a prem it could be that", I'm asked all the time about his development however he is 1 what the hell do people want you to say?
    I believe our paths are chosen for one way or another and our babies choose us before arrival in knowing who can handle or cope better with different scenarios.
    Good luck hun, I look forward too seeing some fabulous updates!

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

The thought of one's child suffering or being disadvantaged in any way is devasting, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You sound like you're handling it very well though, given the situation.

I can't share the experience from your perspective, but this is something I care about a lot - my DP has a significant hearing impairment, and has since early childhood (he wasn't born with it either). And he did experience some social and cognitive delays in development as a result, but more than caught up by the end of primary school. He taught himself to lip read, and is very successful - with his career, socially and emotionally. I didn't even know about his hearing until he told me, weeks after I met him!
    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, even though there'll be whole new challenges to face, and there will be difficulties and stress and all that stuff, there'll also be determination, resilience, strength, compassion and support. And this definitely isn't a reason for him to not have an awesomely happy and successful life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    huge hugs. I can't imagine how I'd feel if that were DD. I'd have a go at whoever says "it could be worse" that's for sure! Although my sister is best friends with a girl who up until just recently I had NO idea she was totally deaf in one ear and partially in another, only if you know can you really tell in her voice, she's got a cochlear device.

I hope you manage to get everything sorted as quickly as possible and with as little stress as possible too xx

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sending you (hugs) and strength for your journey with your little man.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hope everything from now on goes relatively smooth for you and your son x

Can I add that at my kids' school they are very proactive in teaching the kids how to sign, they accomodate the young girl in DS1s class through the entire school - it is just lovely.