+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Im still not comfortable with this justification of suggesting someone should go through physical torment for the sake of other peoples feelings.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub
    That wasn't the ONLY thing I mentioned in MY justification of it.
    Don't take me out of context. I didn't say people SHOULD go through it for my benefit but if destiny/life choices/whatever has caused the person to be in this position then by caring for them I learnt a lot about empathy and humility. Yes - I would rather my family died in their sleep and not suffering for months/years but I don't believe it's our place to take our own lives.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    you asked about harm minimisation.
    assisted sucide is that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    The family will suffer a loss regardless. Does the family also need to watch their loved one suffer? Or can the family find peace in the knowledge that their loved one died on their own terms with minimal suffering?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Different families, different emotions depending on soooo many factors.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    you asked about harm minimisation.
    assisted sucide is that
    I can't multi quote but I actually asked how it's the same as abortion where backyard abortions kill otherwise healthy women when their intent was not to die? Committing suicide (and there are non violent ways btw) the result is their intent?
    Euthanasia is suicide, it's just assisted and legal so the person assisting isnt prosecuted. Being unassisted doesn't mean it needs to be violent or worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I can't multi quote but I actually asked how it's the same as abortion where backyard abortions kill otherwise healthy women when their intent was not to die? Committing suicide (and there are non violent ways btw) the result is their intent?
    Euthanasia is suicide, it's just assisted and legal so the person assisting isnt prosecuted. Being unassisted doesn't mean it needs to be violent or worse.
    I think what she meant was that attempts at suicide often go wrong. A lot people who attempt suicide by jumping off a building for example may just end up paralyzed. Hanging for example is usually a pretty sure way but if you get halfway and someone finds you it could just end in brain damage. I could list other examples for each method but won't.
    Correct me if I'm wrong pp.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (29-05-2012),halloweendee  (29-05-2012),trishalishous  (29-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    I think what she meant was that attempts at suicide often go wrong. A lot people who attempt suicide by jumping off a building for example may just end up paralyzed. Hanging for example is usually a pretty sure way but if you get halfway and someone finds you it could just end in brain damage. I could list other examples for each method but won't.
    Correct me if I'm wrong pp.
    It's still not answering my question but I'll move on.
    Is that what's happening now? Are there reports of botched suicide attempts of terminally ill patients?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    I inderstand that this doesnt sit with your values, but respect that you wouldnt impose your feelings on someone elses situation

Would you begrudge a loved one who chose euthanasia (pretending it is legal for discussions sake)? Ie say your mother was terminally ill, in immense pain, with no hope for improvement. She chose euthanasia. Would this make you more upset, less upset or the same amount of grief compared to if she went on to deteriorate over another 6 months before dying?

I would like to say no, but to be honest I dont know if that would happen if I were in that situation
    I mean, religion aside, I think im too selfish to let my mum go earlier then she has to if that makes sense.

She is my mum and I love her and would want to spend every last possible minute with her.

I think to answer your question I would be more upset that I didn't get to spend more time with her....

Will I hold a grudge? Definitely not

mummy to gods gift to us

9. The Following User Says Thank You to knomie For This Useful Post:

Super Trooper  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    such an emotive subject like this is bound to get tangled in with religion, personal beliefs etc.

but the core is really about choice - do you agree to let people 'choose'.
    i think the same can be said about abortion where the discussion is not about 'would you' but 'should you deny others the choice'

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (29-05-2012),Maybelline  (30-05-2012),Super Trooper  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    DISTRESSING!!!

because an assisted suicide via lethal injection is much more 'pleasant' than a botched attempt via violent means (ie firearms, overdose, hanging, bleeding out etc)
    This is what i meant by harm minimisation exactly.

Also if it were legal professionals can be involved to assist, rather than asking family to do something they find morally questionable/will put them in gaol.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (29-05-2012),trishalishous  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eta: Minimising emotional distress for family