+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    my mother and i have this discussion each time i'm cramming to finish an assignment. "in my day..."

well i'dl ike it to be cheaper to find articles sometimes
    Five years after sending my resignation to the university I worked at before going on maternity leave with DS2, and I still have withdrawal symptoms from all the information I had access to. If only it was all free!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    *sudden pangs of guilt*

Speaking of last minute crams - i should be writing my 3000 word essay due on fri, not debating social issues on bubhub :P

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

But if we want to hand control over to god...well then why are we attempting to treat people at all? Obviously if god wants them to survive liver cancer, they will. Without us giving them chemo/surgery/radiation.

(honestly curious-cause that argument can't just be limited to death if you're going to follow it, right? )
    I spoke of this earlier a few pages back that I think God gave us the intelligence do find treatments etc that may relieve pain/kill off some cancer cells and I believe we need to do everything in our power to preserve the life we're given.
    I don't think that extends to using our intelligence to euthanise a person which is what someone threw at me after that comment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    *sudden pangs of guilt*

Speaking of last minute crams - i should be writing my 3000 word essay due on fri, not debating social issues on bubhub :P

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    me too. (except that i'm not actually sure when within the next two-three weeks my two essays are due SLACK!!!)
    this is far more entertaining tbh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Brown sugar I know what you mean now thanks for that. Sorry about your family member.
    Thanx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    I spoke of this earlier a few pages back that I think God gave us the intelligence do find treatments etc that may relieve pain/kill off some cancer cells and I believe we need to do everything in our power to preserve the life we're given.
    I don't think that extends to using our intelligence to euthanise a person which is what someone threw at me after that comment.
    but why would god be ok with us using our intelligence to find cures, but not to end suffering?

[and by now, i'm pretty sure i'm asking a rhetorical question - i've read the bible often enough to know the christian gods opinion on suffering.]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

Benji  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    I think when she said 'born' she was referring to 'conceived' as this is what most people believe.

mummy to gods gift to us
    Yea my bad. Thanx for that knomie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    From Christian standpoint I think that a lot of Christians have missed one very important element here. God gave us free will!

Therefore, as a christian, I feel uncomfortable taking that will away. What right do I have to take away free will that God has given them?

I hate euthanasia and abortion with a passion! I could never do it or agree with it but I do not have the right to take the choice away from others. They can choose to do what they will to their own bodies - end of story!

There shouldn't be any argument. No one is asking YOU to do it...only to allow others to keep their own free will as God has given them.
    That's silly! God has given us free will but yet we get fined for driving at 100 km/hr on a 60 zone. lol

There are consequences to all we do... Humanly and Godly..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    What do people think about this?
    Ehm, having lived in the Netherlands for 20 years, I do believe they are a very free and tolerant country. Most people are not afraid to speak their mind (which is what gets me into trouble at times here in Australia), because they exercise the freedom of speech act, very thoroughly.
    This means any nutter can set up an "initiative" and can knock on people door to get a signature from people. This is what's happened in this case. Now someone trying to force others (doctors) to kill people even though it goes against everything they stand for.

How can they try to force doctors (who swear the hippocratic oath) to end someone's life who is physically in tip top shape??? These people do not need to be euthanized, they need to see a psychologist and try to improve the quality of their life instead!
    Imagine you 70yo husband saying one day "Hun, I am going to the doctor to get euthanized, dont count on dinner for me". Ofcourse this is overexagerated, but it would be a very selfish thing to do when you're in a long marriage and do not think about the other persons feelings.

Even so, ff someone wants to kill themselves at the age of 70, what's stopping them from taking a handful of pills?

Yes I am for euthanasia of terminally ill patients who are suffering from chronic pain each and every day with no hope of things improving and knowing it will only get worse. What a lovely thing to look forward to
    For perfectly healthy over 70yo people, I say a big fat no. It is selfish towards your loved ones to just decide "you're over it" and get yourself knocked over legally, without providing any proper reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Absolutely agree! Most family members left behind would want their loved one's death to be as painless as possible!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (29-05-2012)