+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I know! only reason i'm dreading the end of the year. I'll have to go study again in a few years, just so i can access databases without paying :P
    Lol... Oh but we do pay for access to journals, its part of your subject fees! :P

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    Lol... Oh but we do pay for access to journals, its part of your subject fees! :P
    yes but i get access to ALL the journals. not just one or two that i can afford. its important :P

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I'm just googling. How do you find out if it's true?
    You sort of have to determine what sort of thing you are reading. For example, the last one from Hermina Dykxhoorn is an opinion piece with no citations confirming the validity of his/her claims. So that one I would take with a gain of salt.

The link from Wiki actually has citations to peer reviewed journals so there is a greater chance these claims have some evidence to back them up.

Love when they do that! Journal databases are such a PITA! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I know! only reason i'm dreading the end of the year. I'll have to go study again in a few years, just so i can access databases without paying :P

OMG, 'read free full text', I'm dreaming!!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I got to the bottom and saw it's a christian paper, so I'd now like to know if its actually true or propaganda? It seems far fetched that they are allowing assisted to suicide to mentally ill and even those who can't give consent?? Seems outrageous

Edit: mentally not terminally
    Yeah... Pretty much anything anyone ever says is based on their own beliefs and experiences, religious or otherwise.

I think that is another major reason behind euthanasia being illegal/people are opposed to euthanasia, the scare factor of the 'slippery slope' as to who qualifies... This process would be so tightly regulated i dont see the slippery slope happening, but then it would also be hard to avoid discrimination with such strict regulations... Food for thought!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post

OMG, 'read free full text', I'm dreaming!!!
    Hahahaha.. Nothing worse than just getting a link to the abstract, then being told to pay to access the full article!

How is one supposed to evaluate how robust the methodology and evidence in the article is from the abstract! Gosh!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (29-05-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hahahaha.. Nothing worse than just getting a link to the abstract, then being told to pay to access the full article!
    *Puts librarian hat on*

You do know that the primary purpose of these databases is to direct you to the article, rather than provide it in full? Imagine stepping back 15 years in time, and having to scroll through the enormous tomes just to find a promising article, then dashing up four flights of stairs to find the print article, sometimes to find it was entirely irrelevant! A cross-referenced search function and an abstract would have sent students gaga

*Takes librarian hat off*

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    *Puts librarian hat on*

You do know that the primary purpose of these databases is to direct you to the article, rather than provide it in full? Imagine stepping back 15 years in time, and having to scroll through the enormous tomes just to find a promising article, then dashing up four flights of stairs to find the print article, sometimes to find it was entirely irrelevant! A cross-referenced search function and an abstract would have sent students gaga

Ahh but at least one would have got some exercise after dashing up those four flights of stairs *says she who has been sitting on her butt writing an essay for the last week*

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Ahh but at least one would have got some exercise after dashing up those four flights of stairs *says she who has been sitting on her butt writing an essay for the last week*
    Yes, and the fourth floor always smells extra booky .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    *Puts librarian hat on*

my mother and i have this discussion each time i'm cramming to finish an assignment. "in my day..."

well i'dl ike it to be cheaper to find articles sometimes

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For. I rather see a persons wishes to die granted then see them living every last day they have in pain and suffering. It's cruel!