+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    oooh, actual studies linked in the references (without needing to dig through my uni library to figure out how to get them ).

Interesting read.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Anyone can write or edit anything on wiki.. Not exactly a reliable source of information for debate! Id be looking for the evidence behind what has been written on wiki

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Guest Guest
    I'm not sure if this true but there is also this:

In 30 y
    ears Holland has moved from assisted suicide to euthanasia, from euthanasia of people who are terminally ill to euthanasia of those who are chronically ill, from euthanasia for physical illness to euthanasia for mental illness, from euthanasia for mental illness to euthanasia for psychological distress or mental suffering, and from voluntary euthanasia to involuntary euthanasia or as the Dutch prefer to call it "termination of the patient without explicit request". It is now considered a form of discrimination against the chronically ill to deny them assisted death because they will be forced to suffer longer than those who are terminally ill and it is considered bias to force endurance of psychological pain when it is not associated with physical illness. The next step, non-voluntary euthanasia, is then justified by appealing to our social duty to care for patients who are not competent to choose for themselves.
    http://www.euthanasia.com/netherlands.html

Guest Guest
    I'm just googling. How do you find out if it's true?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    oooh, actual studies linked in the references (without needing to dig through my uni library to figure out how to get them ).

Interesting read.
    Love when they do that! Journal databases are such a PITA! :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    Love when they do that! Journal databases are such a PITA! :P
    I know! only reason i'm dreading the end of the year. I'll have to go study again in a few years, just so i can access databases without paying :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Whoah!

I've just returned from a lovely day out with my 60 yo MIL and her terminally ill brother and his wife -

<< that info wasn't needed - but you know, sometimes it's fun to throw some irrelevant stuff into the middle of a debate!

The OP was a spin off from a thread talking about 'debatable topics' -- it's intention WAS to 'debate the topic' ..usually in debates, people state a reason why they would support the affirmative and then someone states why they would support the negative...and then a rebuttal is given from either side...

It's only an 'argument' if you make it one

So... how about everyone has a cuppa - make it an Irish coffee if you have to and a deep breath to go with it.

I think there a few topics here which would be better discussed at length (will go look and see if any one has spun off yet) in another thread. ie suicide, laws and how they are made etc etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I'm just googling. How do you find out if it's true?
    I never take anything as 'true'... Always read with a critical eye

But as a general rule of thumb, a peer reviewed paper is likely to contain best knowledge for the time and based on some facts, always have some personal bias though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've already got my rooibos tea 5itb

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    I never take anything as 'true'... Always read with a critical eye

But as a general rule of thumb, a peer reviewed paper is likely to contain best knowledge for the time and based on some facts, always have some personal bias though

I got to the bottom and saw it's a christian paper, so I'd now like to know if its actually true or propaganda? It seems far fetched that they are allowing assisted to suicide to mentally ill and even those who can't give consent?? Seems outrageous

Edit: mentally not terminally