+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    What is wrong with you!?
    This is a really lively debate, a tough topic but enjoyable debate, so can we please remember to attack the topic, not the person.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Benji  (29-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012),halloweendee  (29-05-2012),WorkingClassMum  (29-05-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Believe it or not, religion is the reason a lot of laws exist or don't exist. It's not being said to personally insult someone's spirituality - I see religion and faith as completely separate for many people.

- Euthanasia: because a lot of our law is modelled on systems that were religious, not secular
    - Marriage: the definition of marriage in the Marriage Act, is derived from traditional religious marriage ceremonies (man and woman only)
    - Abortion: I know it's legal now, but religious weight was the reason it remained illegal for as long as it did

Why?

Because unfortunately, a lot of the big politicians are religious and cannot separate religion from state. Or do not accept that we live in a SECULAR country. And these politicians by far outweigh the ones who are prepared to advocate for the opposite side so either end up leading (Tony Abbott) or backing down so they don't get squeezed out (like Gillard). The ridiculous thing is they are pandering to a very vocal but very small minority, and it sickens me that that's how it is in our supposedly democratic country.

However - just because you believe in God does not mean you are immediately against euthanasia or equal marriage: but you can't honestly argue that religion has nothing to do with the laws as they stand because there is a precedent. It has happened before and it'll happen again with another issue down the track, I can guarantee it.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (29-05-2012),halloweendee  (29-05-2012),Maybelline  (29-05-2012),Sariele  (29-05-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (29-05-2012),WorkingClassMum  (29-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    well when you are able to conceive and give birth on the same day - then i'll agree with the wording. until then, NO - born does not mean conceived.

And yeah, while i'm not going to jump into the fray - you're on a very very ugly-slippery slope there regarding ivf et al. :-/

Do you honestly believe that women at 35weeks gestation are going to be considered candidates for abortion in this country? yes i'm aware that some countries like china may allow it - but we're a pretty far stretch from china although imo, she should be given the option of giving the baby up for adoption and having an early induction after steroid admin at 36-37weeks. (that said - i'd love to debate what should happen for women who want to 'abort' between 24-36 weeks. not that i think its a common occurance, but it'd be an interesting topic )

I actually think its a legitimate offer. I think someone who is over 70, but not terminally ill, is probably less likely to be forced into the decision by greedy family, than someone who is ill, in pain and possibly more easily swayed.
    I can't imagine most people would go for it. But for some, it may be a good option.
    If they're developing alzheimers or MS, or if they have chronic pain issues (that aren't terminal).

Honestly, i'd probably prefer euthenasia to a nursing home once i'm no longer able to take proper care of myself. and i'd rather be able to hold my families hands, and tell them i love them, than sneaking away in the night without telling them because i don't want them to get in trouble for it.

I don't know why the numbers are increasing though. i assume its because initially people didn't really know the laws, whether it was what they wanted etc. Most new things take a few years to reach their peak. And all things considered, the numbers still aren't outrageously high. But obviously they need to ensure that the protocols are followed closely, and consider actions when they're not (9 in 3K is quite a high rate of not following protocol - but i'd be interested to know how they weren't following protocol).
    My parents and inlaws are in their 70's. I can't imagine them wanting to check out at this age because they're sick of it all, if they did and we couldn't stop them I'd be devasted. I'd probably hate any dr who helped one of my parents do this when they weren't even sick. I'd question anyone wanting to commit suicide but 70+ yrs old doesn't seem like a reason does it? Surely they'd need to be depressed or something like that to make such a decision? I just wonder where the reasoning comes from to support a law like that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    My parents and inlaws are in their 70's. I can't imagine them wanting to check out at this age because they're sick of it all, if they did and we couldn't stop them I'd be devasted. I'd probably hate any dr who helped one of my parents do this when they weren't even sick. I'd question anyone wanting to commit suicide but 70+ yrs old doesn't seem like a reason does it? Surely they'd need to be depressed or something like that to make such a decision? I just wonder where the reasoning comes from to support a law like that?
    what?

the law would be in place for termimally ill people..people who are dying..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think they're saying 'lets heard people to the abortoir at 70', they're saying that at 70, that's the 'minimum age' so to speak, where they should be allowed to consider it (for non-terminally ill people).

And that is, i think, a very personal decision for each person to make individually (and with their family) - but i'm just trying to explain why *i* think the law may have been worded that way.

[and i'm not sure i could imagine it at 70 either - most of my family live till their mid 90s with most mental faculties intact. but i think i'd like knowing the option was there if i wanted/needed it]

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    You dont make sense?

I was saying that she meant to use the word conceive.
    As in christians I know believe god chooses when babies are conceived
    Hmm, yes, I did make sense. Unfortunately your post didn't which is why it was questioned by more than just me.

Lily, do you have a link to the whole article? I like to read it from the source. When you spend as long as I do studying, you like to see the whole thing before commenting on it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh for crying out loud! Wasn't the OP asking if WE were for or against?? Why does it matter why? Are you for it or against it? Pretty simple question really. Don't have to have a b!tch fight about it like school children

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

knomie  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Oh for crying out loud! Wasn't the OP asking if WE were for or against?? Why does it matter why? Are you for it or against it? Pretty simple question really. Don't have to have a b!tch fight about it like school children
    other than one or two members, i'd say most of us are being quite nice.

but, there's always the option to report people who are fighting :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And yes I realised I was telling people what to discuss and I can't do that. But I was just trying to push the conversation forward and past that so it doesn't become a slinging match. I don't want to be defending God or religion and that's where these discussions end up. I'd prefer to discuss it deeper and further then on this surface level of religion, its a social issue that deserves more investigating.
    Thanks Gandalf for that post.
    I think we need to remember religion and god are two seperate ideas - religion is the social and cultural practices based on a belief system, which is much more relevent to this thread than discussing if god exists/what god thinks or wants/what god is responsible for.

I think it is possible to discuss the social implications of religion without calling for christians to feel the need to defend the existance of their god? Surely this discussion doesnt need to be reduced to that

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (29-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Hmm, yes, I did make sense. Unfortunately your post didn't which is why it was questioned by more than just me.

Lily, do you have a link to the whole article? I like to read it from the source. When you spend as long as I do studying, you like to see the whole thing before commenting on it.
    I just read it on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthana...he_Netherlands