+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think it's a little hypocritical to state this given your posts above.

I do believe some of our laws are historically based on religious morals (equal marriage for example). I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me.
    Yes the equal marraige debate, it will trump anything. Look, I posted 2 examples of what's happening in the Netherlands above and only 1 person answered. Instead, people are choosing to pounce on anyone who mentions God. It's still illegal in this country for alot of reasons, I'd prefer not to waste my time reading about who hates God and why does God do this or that blah blah blah.... Lets actually discuss the issue and it's future implications to society by looking at the one example we have. I wouldn't support a law change unless all areas were covered and answered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Yes the equal marraige debate, it will trump anything. Look, I posted 2 examples of what's happening in the Netherlands above and only 1 person answered. Instead, people are choosing to pounce on anyone who mentions God. It's still illegal in this country for alot of reasons, I'd prefer not to waste my time reading about who hates God and why does God do this or that blah blah blah.... Lets actually discuss the issue and it's future implications to society by looking at the one example we have. I wouldn't support a law change unless all areas were covered and answered.
    I do agree. Although I'd like to extend the who hates god and blah blah blah to include those who love god. We're discussing whether or not it should be legal. Laws here have nothing to do with god.

If you don't want to be euthanised because of your relationship with god, fine, don't

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Re: gay marriage - religion has such a strong historical foothold, that even athiests have been raised in a society with pseudo-christian beliefs....

Religion is not completely removed from laws or society, and therefore not from many individuals beliefs. Even athiests still have a degree of religious influence. Athiests still mostly believe a relationship should be between 2 people, if we didnt have religion in modern society i dont think there would be such a thing as monogamy, for example. So religion is very relevent to this discussion..

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Benji  (29-05-2012),Etienne  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (29-05-2012),katezane  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had already posted about my experience with a family member in Holland many pages back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do think it's relevant too super trooper, although some in here argue that only one side of the religious argument is allowed. No mentioning of god unless that is for the case against euthanasia.

I think if we're talking about legal rights, which is what I assume the OP is about since she mentioned rights, religion isn't really related although for personal reasons people may be uncomfortable with it. But I don't think that should infringe on the rights of others.

I think it's pretty offensive that people can say that people should suffer for the sake of the afterlife but then if people pick them up on that and say this is cruel, I don't believe in a god if this is what it's about THAT is what's offensive and god shouldn't be mentioned???

Holy moly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post for some reason
    Last edited by knomie; 29-05-2012 at 13:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are we really going to discuss God? What God is responsible for, what kind of God will allow suffering, why God does this or that...... The never ending theological debate
    I don't think you should be getting offended by people questioning what god is responsible for. People are just asking knomie about her god, and from what I have read, her god is a lot different to your god, so don't take it as an attack on you or your god. It's knomie's god people are questioning, not yours.

Guest Guest
    So we're blaming religion and we're going to discuss religion for the reason euthanasia is illegal in this country? Just ignore everything else.
    Another thread of who's who in the sport of 'I hate religion' cbf.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think you should be getting offended by people questioning what god is responsible for. People are just asking knomie about her god, and from what I have read, her god is a lot different to your god, so don't take it as an attack on you or your god. It's knomie's god people are questioning, not yours.
    Ahh.... here we go again....
    Its the same god! We have different beliefs of the bibles interpretation!

in the same tone, like I said in my original answer, I completely understand the reasons behind euthanasia and while personally I can't support it, I totally understand the people who do!

Should it become legal, I will have no protest.

God gave us free will and at the end of the day, it is the patient who will have the Right to end their own life and that is that.

mummy to gods gift to us

13. The Following User Says Thank You to knomie For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh for goodness sake. It wasn't even an athiest who brought up religion in the first place!!!

I'm fairly sure I haven't seen "I'm an athiest, therefore it should be legal because there is no afterlife".

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012),halloweendee  (29-05-2012),WorkingClassMum  (29-05-2012)