+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    with all due respect, a lot of posters have mentioned God as being their reason for not wanting euthanasia to be legal.

If he's not to be mentioned at all, perhaps he also shouldn't be used as a reason to keep euthanasia illegal.

I don't like having laws and human rights based on religious connotations. I'm an athiest, religious views shouldn't impact my rights. Just as I would never advocate that a religious person who is suffering SHOULD have to undergo euthanasia.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (29-05-2012),halloweendee  (29-05-2012),Sariele  (29-05-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (29-05-2012),WorkingClassMum  (29-05-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    what benji said!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    with all due respect, a lot of posters have mentioned God as being their reason for not wanting euthanasia to be legal.

If he's not to be mentioned at all, perhaps he also shouldn't be used as a reason to keep euthanasia illegal.

I don't like having laws and human rights based on religious connotations. I'm an athiest, religious views shouldn't impact my rights. Just as I would never advocate that a religious person who is suffering SHOULD have to undergo euthanasia.
    I'm not stopping people from using or not using God to base their decision making in this. But what I cbf doing is discussing whether God is responsible for ivf, whether God is responsible for suffering, whether God exists. You don't believe in God and no post that involves God as their reasoninig for their opinion will be agreed with. We get it. The actual law makers don't just base it on religion so I don't see how it does 'actually' impact your rights. If that was the case abortion wouldn't legal, neither would contraception. You don't have to be religious to disagree with euthanasia either, so now blaming religion as the reason for it still being illegal in this country is ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Completely agree benji - laws and religion should be seperate.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (29-05-2012),WorkingClassMum  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    You don't have to be religious to disagree with euthanasia either, so now blaming religion as the reason for it still being illegal in this country is ridiculous.
    People mentioned that they don't want it to be legal because they should suffer in case there is an afterlife

I didn't say it's illegal for any religious reasons, I said I don't want laws based around religion. Those who say it should be illegal because god says or wants this their point is moot. That's a choice for THEM to make for themselves.

Guest Guest
    People mentioned that they don't want it to be legal because they should suffer in case there is an afterlife

I didn't say it's illegal for any religious reasons, I said I don't want laws based around religion. Those who say it should be illegal because god says or wants this their point is moot. That's a choice for THEM to make for themselves.
    No it's not moot. People have every right to voice their opinions on this subject exactly as you are based on their personal beliefs. Your opinion doesn't trump anyone elses. People keep saying this country is secular. That means laws aren't based on religion doesn't it? So then how does a persons personal feelings based on their own religion impact you and your right to euthanasia? They're not changing a law based on their religion therefore it doesn't impact you at all. If someone is against it based on their own feelings towards God then they have every right to voice that.
    What makes people feel they have the right to change a law but someone else doesn't?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If someone is against it based on their own feelings towards God then they have every right to voice that.
    I think it's a little hypocritical to state this given your posts above.

I do believe some of our laws are historically based on religious morals (equal marriage for example). I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No it's not moot. People have every right to voice their opinions on this subject exactly as you are based on their personal beliefs. Your opinion doesn't trump anyone elses.
    I agree with this. Everyone has their own personal beliefs, which are based on a multitude of things - if religion is one of those influences then so be it. That is the individuals right - to have an opinion based on whatever they feel is right. As long as it isnt impacting on the person next to thems choice then what is the harm?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Benji  (29-05-2012),Deserama  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a little hypocritical to state this given your posts above.

I do believe some of our laws are historically based on religious morals (equal marriage for example). I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me.
    Isn't Julia Gillard an atheist?
    She doesn't agree to alot of things, such as equal marriage. But that's all im gonna say

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    Isn't Julia Gillard an atheist?
    She doesn't agree to alot of things, such as equal marriage. But that's all im gonna say

mummy to gods gift to us
    Yes, she is. I still think that the fact we have no equal marriage rights has a religious history.