+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Halloweendee:
    Perhaps it's individual. I can't speak for you and didn't attempt to do so. I am speaking of my experiences and how they impacted ME. Perhaps you need to be in a certain spiritual place in order to feel the way I do.

As for the world... a greater percentage of the world believes in an afterlife whether it be a heaven or nirvana or something similar than a nothingness as perhaps you do.... but that's another thread
    so, just because you believe in heaven and you have had beneficial experiences in caring the choice for others should not be granted?

and for the record, i am very spiritual. i also have very strong beliefs about the afterlife. just because they don't match yours doesn't mean i am somehow lesser which is what you imply.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    From Christian standpoint I think that a lot of Christians have missed one very important element here. God gave us free will!

Therefore, as a christian, I feel uncomfortable taking that will away. What right do I have to take away free will that God has given them?

I hate euthanasia and abortion with a passion! I could never do it or agree with it but I do not have the right to take the choice away from others. They can choose to do what they will to their own bodies - end of story!

There shouldn't be any argument. No one is asking YOU to do it...only to allow others to keep their own free will as God has given them.
    I think this goes back to my original question. If someone asked YOU can you help them die? Does it not affect the people around that person since they don't act alone in this? As a christian can you help someone use their free will to die?
    Is then suicide for the mentally ill who are suffering and spending their lives in hospital having several attempts at suicide not acceptable? Or is it just for the people suffering certain illnesses we can see?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We were discussing terminal illnesses lily of the nile.

And if somebody doesn't want to partake in the administration of euthanasia, then that's their choice. Nobody is saying that people should be forced to eutanise others or themselves.

I'm sure there's plenty of compassionate medical staff who would be willing to help if it means an end to one's suffering.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-05-2012),Deserama  (29-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Like I said before, I'm fairly certain more than one doctor administers the euthanasia tablets/injection etc. so no one actually knows who did it. As part of the Hippocratic Oath. Like with a lethal injection or a firing squad etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (29-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    We were discussing terminal illnesses lily of the nile.

And if somebody doesn't want to partake in the administration of euthanasia, then that's their choice. Nobody is saying that people should be forced to eutanise others or themselves.

I'm sure there's plenty of compassionate medical staff who would be willing to help if it means an end to one's suffering.
    We're talking about a persons choice, rights to their body and free will. I think mental illness is relevant since the person usually suffers for years and makes several attempts at suicide before they succeed. Mental illness can severly affect the persons qaulity of life and in some countries dementia is seen as a mental illness and treated that way. My grandmother died of dementia in a mental hospital, if mental illness wasn't relevant, euthanasia for her in her country wouldn't have been an option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think people should have rights to their own body, I think it's ridiculous that suicide is unlawful.

I'm not sure on mental illness, I would say that wouldn't pass as people will argue that they can be cured and can live a normal life.

What's not really debatable is terminal illnesses. If somone is suffering pain and agony and will be passing away soon anyway, if they want to die in peace earlier I don't see the problem. I don't see why they don't have that right actually.

I don't know enough about dementia to comment on that one.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (29-05-2012),halloweendee  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Regarding the compassion and empathy thing, there will always be human suffering, regardless of if there is euthanasia or not. I personally feel pain and suffering regardless of how someone dies. Even if its quick and painless. Loss will always be there, its a part of being human, its a part of life.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I also don't believe euthanasia being legalised will lead to a flood of people who want to be euthanised. The people who will choose it will be the people who've been asking for a while. It won't be granted after an off the cuff "I want to die now", it will need to have been something they've requested multiple times.

Same as if suicide wasn't illegal I doubt it'd mean everyone would start jumping off tall buildings just for sh!ts and giggles.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Regarding the compassion and empathy thing, there will always be human suffering, regardless of if there is euthanasia or not. I personally feel pain and suffering regardless of how someone dies. Even if its quick and painless. Loss will always be there, its a part of being human, its a part of life.
    I agree. I find it sad that some people feel empathy only comes from people dying excruciatingly painful deaths. Most people have far broader minds than this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Even with the best of Palliative Care, drugs and the most compassionate nurses some people end their lives in agony. Let's rephrase the question to even with the best possible medical care you knew you would have to endure 3-6 months of torturous pain and the last memories your family would have of you would be those months of agony would you want to live out those 3-6 months. As a nurse I have seen wonderful palliative deaths but I have also seen ones that we could do nothing for- no amount of morphine, ketamine, midazolam provided comfort. As health professional I entered the profession to ease suffering not prolong it with the inevitable will occur anyway. Allow patients who are making an informed choice make it- if there is no hope give them some control- if you don't believe in it- don't do it but allow others that freedom.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (29-05-2012),Gothel  (29-05-2012),halloweendee  (29-05-2012),lones  (29-05-2012),Sariele  (29-05-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (29-05-2012)