+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    No I'm not basically saying I'm against it. I'm asking questions and seeing both sides of the argument here. I have a right to question something like this don't I? How could I make such a stance on a subject that I don't even know much about, I didn't know that countries guidelines to euthanasia before Finb posted it just now.
    How does anyone make a stance like this based purely on their emotion and not knowing how it actually works?
    Why so grouchy? I wasn't having a go, I was asking a question???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oi! Topic - not poster....

This is an extremely emotional topic for ALL involved. I imagine hearts are aching on both sides.

Debate the topic - not the poster please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    After a quick Google, Craig Ewert?

Link would be distressing to some I imagine.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...own-on-TV.html
    Yup that's the one - I was planning to elaborate in my original post, but kids needed tending.

I remember seeing this on the news ABC or SBS. I found it so confronting and so sad, but it cemented my belief that we should have the right to choose.

I don't for one instance believe this would be an easy decision to make, in fact I think it would be horrific, but I believe in the choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    No I'm not basically saying I'm against it. I'm asking questions and seeing both sides of the argument here. I have a right to question something like this don't I? How could I make such a stance on a subject that I don't even know much about, I didn't know that countries guidelines to euthanasia before Finb posted it just now.
    How does anyone make a stance like this based purely on their emotion and not knowing how it actually works?
    And this is the great thing about debate (when kept respectful) - learning more about a topic and seeing it from many perspectives

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Why so grouchy? I wasn't having a go, I was asking a question???
    I wasn't grouchy. Don't make it personal, it now sounds like you are having a go for no reason.
    I'm asking questions to get my head around people's reasons on both sides. I need to do that before I can sit on one side of the fence without a doubt. I can't argue something when I'm not clear on questions that pop in my head. Not trying to debate or sound argumentative, but if you collectively have no doubts I'd like to know how you reason with those questions so that maybe I can see it clearer as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    for - in very strict circumstances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I understand the concept of euthanasia, I can't say im for it.

As a christian I dont believe that anyone should take a life, even though its their own.

I watched my nanna go through a painful end to her life, and while I would have done anything to take her pain away, i dont think I could have let her take her own life.

I do understand but I dont think I could agree with it being legslised here

mummy to gods gift to us

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knomie For This Useful Post:

brownsugar  (29-05-2012),mrsd  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lily - I askd I question re one of your points a few posts back.

Do you see a comparison? re - prioritising individuals beliefs and wishes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Another of the very few strongly AGAINST people here.

Even though euthanasia seems like the kind thing to do I think there are two reasons for the suffering that some of us will go through at the time of our death.

1. I believe that the suffering of another person makes their carer a stronger/better person, in my case spiritually stronger and it gives you the opportunity to reach out to a person in need (or NoT to if you decide to walk away!)

I have witnessed 2 painful deaths of very, very close family members (one for 19 months and the other 8!) recently and they both taught me so much and have made me into a stronger, deeper person IMO.

2. I believe that the suffering we have here on earth is possibly a preparation for the next world (afterlife). So there is a place for it. Euthanising someone who's terminally ill would take that away.

Besides thinking its the kinder thing to do, is it easier for those who don't believe in an afterlife to feel that euthanising is ok? There is no consequence in a way. I feel it's messing with God's plan. He created us and should be the one who decides when we are to move on.

Btw, don't jump at me for bringing God into this. I can't help but not talk about it as He's relevant to death for me.
    i'm glad 'witnessing 2 painful deaths' made you a stronger/better person.
    as a 17 year old girl, watching my mother battle cancer for 2 years has not 'bettered' me in any way.
    similarly when my 98 year old grandmother begged me to help her die in 2010 has not made me 'stronger' in any way.

for those of us also who do not believe in heaven (and a very large percentage of the world's population don't) why should their choice be taken away on religious grounds?

for me it all comes down to one word and one word only...

dignity

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Benji  (28-05-2012),delirium  (28-05-2012),Gandalf  (28-05-2012),Gothel  (29-05-2012),Maybelline  (29-05-2012),T 800  (29-05-2012),trishalishous  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am for it, but I would like to think that it would only be used for those in palliative care with zero quality of life or the final stages of dementia.