+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    But legalising it to allow me to have a choice doesn't mean that you are bound to follow suit, you get to exercise your choice not to be a party to it.

I believe that family is a huge factor in making our decisions, but family wanting to have a family member linger because they are not ready to say goodbye is not a great reason. My dad died from cancer, he suffered terribly but thatnkfully his suffering was comparatively brief, but I would never have been ready to let him go, but I couldn't have sat by and seen him suffer, vomiting faecal matter, in terrible pain. He died naturally, but I am still left behind with all the sadness of having seen him suffer, and it would have been selfish of me to ask him to suffer any longer just because I wasn't ready.
    Everyone is talking about religion having no part in it and the persons right to choice. What I'm saying is it does matter, the people left behind do matter. Everyones opinion on the subject matters, no one is superior, not even the person wanting that choice because it affects everyone and that person will be a party to it without choice.
    IF I'm not religious but my mother and my husband is and I want to be euthanised, how does that not affect them? I'm their daughter and wife, they are against euthanasia and whether you like it or not, a belief in God will weigh heavely on that persons mind and heart for the rest of their lives, it will affect them psychologically and spiritually in a big way. Who makes that decision? Who matters more? Ofcourse no one wants to see someone suffer, but then being for euthanasia are you ok with the people left behind suffering emotional torment and guilt? The person ill is making that choice, but the family member isn't given a choice? How is that explained?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You are basically saying that you can't agree with it because of the psychological suffering of the people left behind. But what about the emotional and physical suffering of the one who is dying. Doesn't everyone deserve a last wish and if it is that then who are we to say no?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (28-05-2012),delirium  (28-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm for it in the right circumstances. I think if you have a terminal illness it is fine. Why delay the inevitable.Suicide is a horrible alternative. I think it could be misused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I think people ARE making the choice for themselves though? The issue affects everyone and since it's still illegal we can discuss collectively our opinions and they all matter. I'm talking for myself, for my family and whether I can or can't do something like that. I asked many questions that I think need to be answered before I can commit to a for or against.
    This is not a decision between the person and their dr. It's just not. The family/spouse/parent need to live with this well after the person is gone. There isn't anything to say this will affect someone emotionally/psychologically for a long time after. So if someone makes the choice to die, the person who was against this is left behind to deal with it. So it's not just up to the individual. I'd like to think my dh or my children's spouses take me into consideration in this, I know I would if I was looking at euthanasia for myself.
    So whether you think strangers are stopping you from euthanising a loved one, they are considering their own lives and family and it's not a topic that's taken lightly. Like I'm against it but your body your choice. No, it doesn't work like that when it affects everyone around that person.
    Helping someone die is a big deal that requires a lot of discussion.
    Should these 'considerations for others' be taken into account if, say, a woman chose to terminate a pregnancy?

I personally don't put euthanasia and abortion in the same basket - but some people do.

just curious, trying to see where you are coming from.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    You are basically saying that you can't agree with it because of the psychological suffering of the people left behind. But what about the emotional and physical suffering of the one who is dying. Doesn't everyone deserve a last wish and if it is that then who are we to say no?
    No I'm not basically saying I'm against it. I'm asking questions and seeing both sides of the argument here. I have a right to question something like this don't I? How could I make such a stance on a subject that I don't even know much about, I didn't know that countries guidelines to euthanasia before Finb posted it just now.
    How does anyone make a stance like this based purely on their emotion and not knowing how it actually works?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think religious views should form your view on this subject.

My mum is deteriorating daily before our eyes. She has MS. It's a horrible disease. I can see my mum is in pain. She is a mere shadow of her former self and she hates it. She hates not being able to walk unaided, get dressed by herself, make dinner, carry a cup of tea to the table. I would have no problem ending her pain if she ever asked. My dad is religious, he would do it in an instant as well.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (28-05-2012),Maybelline  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Does anyone remember the man ( I think he was living in the UK) who went to a Swiss clinic had his euthanasia/assisted suicide filmed?
    After a quick Google, Craig Ewert?

Link would be distressing to some I imagine.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...own-on-TV.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    The question of who's too ill to be given the ok? Incidentally there are Terminally ill people who do miraculously recover from these illnesses at times too. So who decides? And when do they decide? And the corruption of greedy beneficiaries of estates etc?
    what about those who are so sick the doctors have stopped treating? Do you think that cancers are going to shrink themselves?

We're not discussing the elderly here, we're discussing the terminally sick.

I feel sick at this thread, i'm so sorry for all of those out there who are suffering through things we can't imagine. I hope the laws change for you sooner than later. My goodness, that poor woman dying while throwing up her own fecal matter Truly horrifying

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone is talking about religion having no part in it and the persons right to choice. What I'm saying is it does matter, the people left behind do matter. Everyones opinion on the subject matters, no one is superior, not even the person wanting that choice because it affects everyone and that person will be a party to it without choice.
    IF I'm not religious but my mother and my husband is and I want to be euthanised, how does that not affect them? I'm their daughter and wife, they are against euthanasia and whether you like it or not, a belief in God will weigh heavely on that persons mind and heart for the rest of their lives, it will affect them psychologically and spiritually in a big way. Who makes that decision? Who matters more? Ofcourse no one wants to see someone suffer, but then being for euthanasia are you ok with the people left behind suffering emotional torment and guilt? The person ill is making that choice, but the family member isn't given a choice? How is that explained?
    But why should a person be left to suffer a horrible, painful, undignified death just so that you (the collective you, not targeting you LOTN) can be spiritually at peace. In this life, we are affected by others all the time. My BFF thinks that I am going to go to hell because I haven't accepted God into my life, but her spirituality can't guide my life and my decisions, no matter how much I love her. (BTW, she hasn't said that I am going to hell, but just from discussions that we have had, I know this is how she feels about us non-believers).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would imagine the decision to euthanase would be made in much the same way as a do not resus order is made - through family.conference and mediation, involving healthcare providers and counsellors.

Everybody is heard, and the family have the chance to get their head around their loved ones decision to refuse treatment and accept imminent death. I imagine the same would be the case for euthanasia, only they are accepting that the person will die at a particular time by their own will.

If the person wants to die, but the family want the person to live, one party is going to have to compromise at some point. For DNR orders and euthanasia alike. Communication and empathy are key to this issue.

Also, for the termibally ill, death is imminent anyway. The family are facing emotional distress either way.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub