+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Originally Posted by Super Trooper
    Would those against euthanasia be against terminally ill people comitting suicide?
    No, I'm not.
    So it is the act of one person taking anothers life which you dont agree with? But taking ones own life is ok? What if the person is so ill they can not function to take their own life, even though they wish to? Is any level of assistance ok in your books?

Sorry i sound like im interrogating with all the q's.. Genuine curiosity, i promise!!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    So it is the act of one person taking anothers life which you dont agree with? But taking ones own life is ok? What if the person is so ill they can not function to take their own life, even though they wish to? Is any level of assistance ok in your books?

Sorry i sound like im interrogating with all the q's.. Genuine curiosity, i promise!!

that's the bit I have an issue with. No I don't think any level of assistance is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For.

If euthanasia is not legalised by the time im an old lady, and im suffering a terrible illness, or even just really really old, i will organise with dh or kids to try help me out. Or i will do it myself but tell them so i can have a goodbye. My mum saw her grandma die a terrible death last year and said if she ever starts getting like that to just make sure one of dads insulin pens are loaded up and within arms reach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Personally, i def believe in it. If my mother ended up with a prolonged terminal illness, if there was the option of euthanasia and she wanted it (which she would) i'd organise it for her. I'd most definitely risk going to jail if it meant my mother or close family member could drift off to sleep rather than have a frightening and painful death. I'd do anything for her not to be frightened in the end. We currently have a good friend who's father has motor neurone disease. He will basically die by choking once his lungs and muscles finally give up, he's terrified and if his family had the option of euthanasia, i'm sure they would take it. Dreading a painful and frightening death does not make a person stronger. It's just an awful end to their life.

I love my pets, and i feel so very lucky that when they get to the end i can not prolong their suffering and send them off to sleep. I know animals are not the same as humans, but i feel people should have the same choice.

Guest Guest
    I struggle because I think fighting for survival is instinctual, we have all these treatments because we're trying to pro long life, ending it seems to go against that.
    I haven't been in the situation personally to know whether I could or couldn't. I'm not naive to the pain and suffering though, my sister watched her husband die of cancer, she vomited for 3 months after his death because of what she saw him go through, she still won't talk about what he went through and what she saw. So I know it's extreme suffering, extreme. My best friends dad recently passed away from ALS, horrible way to die and they all suffered. My mum also battled cancer and us in remission (but was never terminal)
    But look, if it was ME in that situation my instinct is to fight for their lives, to have them for as long as I can. When my bil was dying his mother fought hard for him, he didn't pass until she told him its ok to go. But I know as a mother now as well that would be my instinct.
    I know it's selfish but like brown sugar pointed out, we are all affected by it. If I help euthanise, how do I spend my life dealing with that? Especially if you are religious and feel guilt, sin, like you've fine something against God.
    Just not sure.
    Bringing up someones child. How does one euthanise their child? Wouldn't it be only for people who can make their own choice? Can a child make the choice, or a parent for them? How many people terminally ill does this really help then? For those who aren't well enough because they declined rapidly and now can't make the decision anymore, what about children, will they still suffer regardless?
    There are too many questions that need answering before I could commit to something that goes against my instincts of survival.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

brownsugar  (29-05-2012),mrsd  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I struggle because I think fighting for survival is instinctual, we have all these treatments because we're trying to pro long life, ending it seems to go against that.
    I haven't been in the situation personally to know whether I could or couldn't. I'm not naive to the pain and suffering though, my sister watched her husband die of cancer, she vomited for 3 months after his death because of what she saw him go through, she still won't talk about what he went through and what she saw. So I know it's extreme suffering, extreme. My best friends dad recently passed away from ALS, horrible way to die and they all suffered. My mum also battled cancer and us in remission (but was never terminal)
    But look, if it was ME in that situation my instinct is to fight for their lives, to have them for as long as I can. When my bil was dying his mother fought hard for him, he didn't pass until she told him its ok to go. But I know as a mother now as well that would be my instinct.
    I know it's selfish but like brown sugar pointed out, we are all affected by it. If I help euthanise, how do I spend my life dealing with that? Especially if you are religious and feel guilt, sin, like you've fine something against God.
    Just not sure.
    Bringing up someones child. How does one euthanise their child? Wouldn't it be only for people who can make their own choice? Can a child make the choice, or a parent for them? How many people terminally ill does this really help then? For those who aren't well enough because they declined rapidly and now can't make the decision anymore, what about children, will they still suffer regardless?
    There are too many questions that need answering before I could commit to something that goes against my instincts of survival.
    One of my family members got cancer in her 30s, anyhow - she survived anther 12 years and during that time she used to tell my mum how she wanted to be euthanised if ever she got really bad and there was no hope. She would talk about it all the time and my mother was her next of kin. Anyhow when the time came and she was in the hospice having her lungs drained of fluid every single day and fighting for a breath. She changed her mind, she wanted to fight to the end. None of us knows what we will think when until we are actually in that position. But the point is - that was her *choice* to fight to the end. You know??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (28-05-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    That's the thing... everyone is entitled to their own opinion insofar as it relates to their own choices. I'm not sure that I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion that thwarts and interferes with other people's choices.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (28-05-2012),halloweendee  (28-05-2012),Maybelline  (28-05-2012),wrena  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    100% for

My mum always talks about not wanting to be here anymore. She has a medical problem the no amount of doctors can diagnose. She has heart attacks all the time and is just so exhausted and sick of being sick. She will get worse and it's going to be heart breaking to see, knowing there is no way out for her. My mum is only 45 this year and the heart attacks have been happening for the past 10 or so years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    If god has given us the intelligence to delay death, then i think he has also given us the intelligence to hasten it?

As for not knowing where to draw the line, euthanasia is about the individuals choice to end their suffering, it is not for others to decide, so i dont really know why a line is needed? If an individual deems their condition to be intolerable, then let them make that decision... The only reason euthanasia is even a debate is because the sufferer isnt competent to end their own life. Would those against euthanasia be against terminally ill people comitting suicide?

Ok we're clearly different.
    For me -
    Life is precious and given to us by God and u need to do everything in your power to live a good and wholesome long life.

I don't believe suicide is a good choice for anyone either however I do understand why people opt for it out of desperation.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (28-05-2012)