+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone could be the one to euthanise their loved one? Are there any dr's here? Do dr's support euthanasia if they would be the ones performing it?
    I've been thinking all day if I could actually euthanise my dh and help him organise his death???? Not sure.
    No I couldn't and wouldn't. But I have no qualms about people making that decision themselves and organising that....I will support it, but not be a part of it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Ok, so that is fine for you with a belief in a god. I don't have a belief in god so your ideas wouldn't apply to me or others who don't believe in a god. So why should we be made to suffer?
    My spin was slightly different but thermolicious, mrsd and hulahoop gave you other reasons why it shouldn't be so for all.
    I believe it makes you a better person and that that's important in your growth and development, God aside.

The question of who's too ill to be given the ok? Incidentally there are Terminally ill people who do miraculously recover from these illnesses at times too. So who decides? And when do they decide? And the corruption of greedy beneficiaries of estates etc?

For all those reasons it's best not an option for non-believers I think. Care for the sick and dying and you will show great example to your children who will in turn be happy to show that to you. The lack of respect and love for the elderly in western societies is sad.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-05-2012),mrsd  (28-05-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know I'm not religious but I kind of get what BS is saying, I think we do live in a bit of a culture that leans towards trying to rescue or save people who are experiencing life processes when those processes could teach us so much. Why do we feel the need to rescue and save people from these processes is it because we find them to hard to deal with ourselves do we lack the ability, time and compassion to love and support these people? Much the same way society deals with birth?

I feel the need to add here that I know people suffering terminal illnesses are in a great deal of pain and are suffering, I do believe it's within their rights to end their own lives I just don't think it's right to push the button/pull the plug/leave some pills within arms reach.
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 28-05-2012 at 18:38.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-05-2012),mrsd  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    I would argue that the degree of medical intervention we have available is messing with god's plan/nature....

If we didnt have the technology to keep people alive well beyond their 'natural' lifespan (ie if someone with cancer was left to die in peace instead of being subjected to chemo, etc) then i would agree with your post and agree there is no place for euthanasia. Ie their suffering wouldnt be unneccesarily prolonged anyway, and we would learn whatever we are supposed to in this life.

BUT since we do keep people alive in their suffering, who would have passed a long time ago if left as nature intended, then i think euthanasia becomes relevant as we (by we i mean society and medical and technologixal advances) have created this state of torment, we should also have the means to end it.

FTR im not religious, i dont believe in god as such, but i am somewhat agnostic and believe in 'something,' spirituality?, and im not completely convinced an afterlife doesnt exist.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    God gave us the intelligence to delve onto science and learn more about our bodies so I think chemo and life support are not messing with God's plan for us if one chooses to have treatments etc.. I think euthanasia is on a different scale as all of that. Stop the meds and die a natural death...if that's what u want to do but u cant decide to end it with a pill or whatever. It's wrong coz your life influences all those around you and has a purpose.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone could be the one to euthanise their loved one? Are there any dr's here? Do dr's support euthanasia if they would be the ones performing it?
    I've been thinking all day if I could actually euthanise my dh and help him organise his death???? Not sure.
    If my child was in constant, agonising pain and vomiting faeces? Yes. It would probably be the end of me, and I would be unspeakably angry that my medical system put me in that position, but I would end my child's misery and pain.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

austmum  (28-05-2012),Maybelline  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Originally Posted by Super Trooper
    I would argue that the degree of medical intervention we have available is messing with god's plan/nature....

If we didnt have the technology to keep people alive well beyond their 'natural' lifespan (ie if someone with cancer was left to die in peace instead of being subjected to chemo, etc) then i would agree with your post and agree there is no place for euthanasia. Ie their suffering wouldnt be unneccesarily prolonged anyway, and we would learn whatever we are supposed to in this life.

BUT since we do keep people alive in their suffering, who would have passed a long time ago if left as nature intended, then i think euthanasia becomes relevant as we (by we i mean society and medical and technologixal advances) have created this state of torment, we should also have the means to end it.

FTR im not religious, i dont believe in god as such, but i am somewhat agnostic and believe in 'something,' spirituality?, and im not completely convinced an afterlife doesnt exist.

God gave us the intelligence to delve onto science and learn more about our bodies so I think chemo and life support are not messing with God's plan for us if one chooses to have treatments etc.. I think euthanasia is on a different scale as all of that. Stop the meds and die a natural death...if that's what u want to do but u cant decide to end it with a pill or whatever. It's wrong coz your life influences all those around you and has a purpose.
    If god has given us the intelligence to delay death, then i think he has also given us the intelligence to hasten it?

As for not knowing where to draw the line, euthanasia is about the individuals choice to end their suffering, it is not for others to decide, so i dont really know why a line is needed? If an individual deems their condition to be intolerable, then let them make that decision... The only reason euthanasia is even a debate is because the sufferer isnt competent to end their own life. Would those against euthanasia be against terminally ill people comitting suicide?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    Would those against euthanasia be against terminally ill people comitting suicide?
    No, I'm not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    how horrible for the person already suffering to have to commit suicide alone..no help..no re assurance..

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (28-05-2012),halloweendee  (28-05-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    If my child was in constant, agonising pain and vomiting faeces? Yes. It would probably be the end of me, and I would be unspeakably angry that my medical system put me in that position, but I would end my child's misery and pain.
    100% this. a friend was in a similar situation, and she has said she would have ended the pain when her child begged her to make it stop. as it was they removed care and he passed away at home, relatively 'pain free'

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    how horrible for the person already suffering to have to commit suicide alone..no help..no re assurance..
    Not to mention the incredibly high risk of bungling the whole thing and leaving themselves even worse off.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (28-05-2012),Maybelline  (28-05-2012)