+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Another of the very few strongly AGAINST people here.

Even though euthanasia seems like the kind thing to do I think there are two reasons for the suffering that some of us will go through at the time of our death.

1. I believe that the suffering of another person makes their carer a stronger/better person, in my case spiritually stronger and it gives you the opportunity to reach out to a person in need (or NoT to if you decide to walk away!)

I have witnessed 2 painful deaths of very, very close family members (one for 19 months and the other 8!) recently and they both taught me so much and have made me into a stronger, deeper person IMO.

2. I believe that the suffering we have here on earth is possibly a preparation for the next world (afterlife). So there is a place for it. Euthanising someone who's terminally ill would take that away.

Besides thinking its the kinder thing to do, is it easier for those who don't believe in an afterlife to feel that euthanising is ok? There is no consequence in a way. I feel it's messing with God's plan. He created us and should be the one who decides when we are to move on.

Btw, don't jump at me for bringing God into this. I can't help but not talk about it as He's relevant to death for me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (28-05-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    NO......my point is it's not murder!! I was mainly saying this due to Therms view on subject
    Yeah I knew your POV was the same as mine, I agree that this IMO can hardly be considered murder though. Yet that's what they decided it was.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Yes, that is how I read it too. A mental illness does not always equal a terminal illness. There is still a possibility of treatment for a mental illness. A terminal illness means that there isn't really much more they can do. I think there is a big difference there.
    Sorry I read it as both people having a terminal illness, one just has mild normal terminal illness depression but the other is suffering a major depression and is suicidal. It just seems sort of ironic..you can only choose to die if your sane even if you have a terminal illness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For but with conditions. I don't believe it's right for anyone to expect a member of the family to help them against their will. It's something that they should sort out while they are of sound mind and between them and their doctor...no one else should have to make this decision for them.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That sounds so intense RR I'm sorry your friends mother was so ill can I ask, if it was too much why did they continue treatment why not just let nature take its course?

Just for the record I want to say that yes I do see it as murder, I realise that might sound harsh though and I'm sorry if that hurts anyone.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    That sounds so intense RR I'm sorry your friends mother was so ill can I ask, if it was too much why did they continue treatment why not just let nature take its course?

Just for the record I want to say that yes I do see it as murder, I realise that might sound harsh though and I'm sorry if that hurts anyone.
    She had been off treatment and on morphine for 6 months when it happened, she just wanted it over..

Guest Guest
    I'm wondering if anyone could be the one to euthanise their loved one? Are there any dr's here? Do dr's support euthanasia if they would be the ones performing it?
    I've been thinking all day if I could actually euthanise my dh and help him organise his death???? Not sure.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Another of the very few strongly AGAINST people here.

Even though euthanasia seems like the kind thing to do I think there are two reasons for the suffering that some of us will go through at the time of our death.

1. I believe that the suffering of another person makes their carer a stronger/better person, in my case spiritually stronger and it gives you the opportunity to reach out to a person in need (or NoT to if you decide to walk away!)

I have witnessed 2 painful deaths of very, very close family members (one for 19 months and the other 8!) recently and they both taught me so much and have made me into a stronger, deeper person IMO.

2. I believe that the suffering we have here on earth is possibly a preparation for the next world (afterlife). So there is a place for it. Euthanising someone who's terminally ill would take that away.

Besides thinking its the kinder thing to do, is it easier for those who don't believe in an afterlife to feel that euthanising is ok? There is no consequence in a way. I feel it's messing with God's plan. He created us and should be the one who decides when we are to move on.

Btw, don't jump at me for bringing God into this. I can't help but not talk about it as He's relevant to death for me.
    Ok, so that is fine for you with a belief in a god. I don't have a belief in god so your ideas wouldn't apply to me or others who don't believe in a god. So why should we be made to suffer?

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-05-2012),Benji  (28-05-2012),halloweendee  (28-05-2012),lambjam  (28-05-2012),Maybelline  (28-05-2012),SassyMummy  (28-05-2012),T 800  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone could be the one to euthanise their loved one? Are there any dr's here? Do dr's support euthanasia if they would be the ones performing it?
    I've been thinking all day if I could actually euthanise my dh and help him organise his death???? Not sure.
    I know a doc..he euthanised his wife..they organised the death..they chose the coffin..organised funeral/wake everything TOGETHER..she had to take the barbiturates alone (no finger prints of other parties)..then he and other family sat with her..she went into deep sleep..for about an hour..then coma for a few hours..then breathed her last breath out with loved ones holding her hand...to me a perfect death (if there is such a thing)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post

I would argue that the degree of medical intervention we have available is messing with god's plan/nature....

If we didnt have the technology to keep people alive well beyond their 'natural' lifespan (ie if someone with cancer was left to die in peace instead of being subjected to chemo, etc) then i would agree with your post and agree there is no place for euthanasia. Ie their suffering wouldnt be unneccesarily prolonged anyway, and we would learn whatever we are supposed to in this life.

BUT since we do keep people alive in their suffering, who would have passed a long time ago if left as nature intended, then i think euthanasia becomes relevant as we (by we i mean society and medical and technologixal advances) have created this state of torment, we should also have the means to end it.

FTR im not religious, i dont believe in god as such, but i am somewhat agnostic and believe in 'something,' spirituality?, and im not completely convinced an afterlife doesnt exist.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (28-05-2012),Gothel  (28-05-2012),halloweendee  (28-05-2012),MissMuppet  (29-05-2012),onionskin  (28-05-2012)