+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 393
  1. #161
    GluttonForPunishment's Avatar
    GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,209
    Thanks
    466
    Thanked
    1,796
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Whoa, was that a respectful difference of opinion there?

    I'm going to print this off and frame it. lol

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

    Benji  (28-05-2012),delirium  (28-05-2012),halloweendee  (28-05-2012),headoverfeet  (28-05-2012)

  3. #162
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Can other people in this thread say the same thing- have they all faced a similar situation and wanted to say yes? I don't think they all have so you could ask how do they know they would want to say yes or be able to say yes?
    I'm not really sure what you're asking me. I would ask the same question of anybody who sought to enforce how another person should or should not die.

    Put it this way, I think be both agree it would be ridiculous to enforce euthanasia on someone who did not want it, yes? Well, I think it's equally ridiculous to enforce the opposite. Again, it's about choice, a choice that nobody should be allowed to make for someone else.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (28-05-2012),Witwicky  (28-05-2012)

  5. #163
    Ana Gram's Avatar
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    18,597
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked
    3,125
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    They have made the decision to ask someone to help them die, they can't do it themselves or they wouldn't ask. Your saying yes to helping them die.
    I disagree with you there. It is only medical practitioners who would be assisting and they aren't always incapable of doing it themselves. In my view, regular family members like you and me wouldn't be put in that position at all, because I don't feel it is our decision to make.

  6. #164
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,037
    Thanks
    1,498
    Thanked
    730
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    They have made the decision to ask someone to help them die, they can't do it themselves or they wouldn't ask. Your saying yes to helping them die.
    they can do most of it themselves..but help can often mean they want the support around them..

    and yes my other questions are mostly directed at you..

  7. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes.

    The only exception, IMO, is when the person is proven to be mentally unstable. I don't mean just depressed - I think most people with a terminal condition or who are facing all the problems associated with old age would suffer some sort of depression... I guess I mean something more "severe" than standard depression. The kind of severe depression that leads to suicide, for example. Those people, IMO, are not in the right frame of mind to really be choosing whether life is worth living or not.

    For people who are going to die soon enough anyway, thanks to terminal conditions (cancer, for example), who are just waiting out their days, etc... they deserve to be able to say, "You know what? If a dog is living in pain and its quality of life is rubbish, we all say it's cruel NOT to put it down... so now I think that time has come for ME."

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    Gothel  (28-05-2012),Maybelline  (28-05-2012)

  9. #166
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I'm not really sure what you're asking me. I would ask the same question of anybody who sought to enforce how another person should or should not die.

    Put it this way, I think be both agree it would be ridiculous to enforce euthanasia on someone who did not want it, yes? Well, I think it's equally ridiculous to enforce the opposite. Again, it's about choice, a choice that nobody should be allowed to make for someone else.
    Sorry I wasn't very clear! Obviously the family wouldn't be the ones carrying it out (well I would hope not!) but they may have to facilitate it, even if they were not involved I think I am just as capable of having an opinion on the subject as other people in this thread who have not been in the situation themselves. I hope that's a bit more clear.

  10. #167
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I disagree with you there. It is only medical practitioners who would be assisting and they aren't always incapable of doing it themselves. In my view, regular family members like you and me wouldn't be put in that position at all, because I don't feel it is our decision to make.
    Sorry yes I realise this I dont think I have necessarily said 'family members' (have I? sorry if I have) my opinion stands with anyone who does it, medical staff...

  11. #168
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,406
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,045
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My friend's mum went to jail for helping her mum die. She was 70, had cancer everywhere - a massive tumour on her brain, was in so much pain. Was originally diagnosed with leukemia at 27 and had been battling cancer since then in one way or the other. Had a hysterectomy, bone marrow transplant, lost her bowel, was blind from the tumor pressing on her optic nerve... She spent more than half her life in and out of hospital, missing her kid's lives because she was too ill to go to soccer on saturday, couldn't go to the shops as it was compromising to her immune system. She asked her daughter to help her die and she did. She She even wrote and signed a letter stating she'd asked her daughter to help her end her life, but she was charged with murder nonetheless.

    And yet, I don't see that as murder? I'd do the same if my mum asked me in a similar circumstance to that.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

    halloweendee  (28-05-2012),Maybelline  (28-05-2012)

  13. #169
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Sorry I wasn't very clear! Obviously the family wouldn't be the ones carrying it out (well I would hope not!) but they may have to facilitate it, even if they were not involved I think I am just as capable of having an opinion on the subject as other people in this thread who have not been in the situation themselves. I hope that's a bit more clear.
    Of course you are, I'm sorry if I implied that you weren't . I was just encouraging you to look beyond your own experience of death, and consider that some people's views are formed by very different experiences.

  14. #170
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Yes.

    The only exception, IMO, is when the person is proven to be mentally unstable. I don't mean just depressed - I think most people with a terminal condition or who are facing all the problems associated with old age would suffer some sort of depression... I guess I mean something more "severe" than standard depression. The kind of severe depression that leads to suicide, for example. Those people, IMO, are not in the right frame of mind to really be choosing whether life is worth living or not.

    For people who are going to die soon enough anyway, thanks to terminal conditions (cancer, for example), who are just waiting out their days, etc... they deserve to be able to say, "You know what? If a dog is living in pain and its quality of life is rubbish, we all say it's cruel NOT to put it down... so now I think that time has come for ME."
    That seems kind of hypocritical doesn't it? You can choose euthanasia if you have a terminal illness and are depressed but if you have a terminal illness and are so depressed you want to commit suicide its not on..

    I don't get it


 

Similar Threads

  1. Will Tasmania become a euthanasia tourism destination?
    By Maybelline in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-06-2012, 17:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Einsteinz Music
Fun & interactive music classes!
Classes are taught by professional musicians! Children are taught the fundamentals of music: beat, pitch, rhythm and tempo through hands-on experience. Click for more details!!!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!