+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    At the end of the day, I don't think anyone should be forced to do what they don't want to do, I also don't think anyone should be able to choose or force someone to stay alive and suffer if that person don't want to stay alive and suffer. My body, my choice.
    I agree my body my choice but I don't think it's ok to help someone do it I think it's wrong not for the victim who is asking for it but for the perpetrator to do it.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    What an awful thing to ask me

They died at home being cared for by family surrounded by love. My step grandmother is in a nursing home which is what she chose to do before her dementia was too advanced she also chose to have a dnr order put in place.
    I'm sorry, I think you misread my tone. I was genuinely enquiring whether at any point they requested euthanasia. I didn't mean to offend .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (28-05-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Many, many terminally ill cancer patients at the end of their illness ask to die, so I think that is what lambjam was getting at.
    We're they like other terminally I'll cancer patients who asked to die? I don't know, not as far as I am aware I wasn't with them 24/7.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're they like other terminally I'll cancer patients who asked to die? I don't know, not as far as I am aware I wasn't with them 24/7.
    So, with all respect, if your loved ones didn't request euthanasia, you might not be able to directly relate to someone whose loved one has... Someone whose loved one has begged them for the dignity and mercy that only death can bring them, and someone who has been powerless to grant them that .

Because what we're talking about here is choice. And we need to respect that other people's choices may not be the same as our own without forcing our personal ideology upon them.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

delirium  (28-05-2012),Witwicky  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find it bizarre that it is perfectly legal and acceptable to cease treatment, cease feeding, etc a terminally ill person, if they so wish. Which results in a slowish death (over days to weeks) of starvation or dehydration, but a person can not choose to have a quick death by a drug or similar, over in seconds.

I think many of you would also find it interesting that it is legal to overdose somebody with morphine, as long as the intent is to relieve pain (not to kill), and the person/family is informed that increasing the morphine dose to relieve pain may suppress the respiratory system and death may occur. So euthanasia pretty much does already occur quite regularly, just not by that name.

And as a pp has already pointed out, do not resus (DNR) and ACD (advanced care directives) already exist, a euthanasia order could be implemented in a similar manner with little to no extra risk of a 'victim.'

Also, i find that a person will undergo a treatment they do not want (eg chemo) and fight even though they have no quality of life, because they do not want their family/children etc to suffer the loss of themselves. They may be coerced into fighting when they would rather pass peacefuly at home, by family members who dont want to let go. Rather than someone coercing a family member to die so they can collect inheritance.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Benji  (28-05-2012),trishalishous  (29-05-2012),Witwicky  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    So, with all respect, if your loved ones didn't request euthanasia, you might not be able to directly relate to someone whose loved one has... Someone whose loved one has begged them for the dignity and mercy that only death can bring them, and someone who has been powerless to grant them that .

Because what we're talking about here is choice. And we need to respect that other people's choices may not be the same as our own without forcing our personal ideology upon them.
    Can other people in this thread say the same thing- have they all faced a similar situation and wanted to say yes? I don't think they all have so you could ask how do they know they would want to say yes or be able to say yes?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    But with euthanasia, I don't need to say yes because the person has made that decision for themselves.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    But with euthanasia, I don't need to say yes because the person has made that decision for themselves.
    They have made the decision to ask someone to help them die, they can't do it themselves or they wouldn't ask. Your saying yes to helping them die.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your saying yes to helping them die.
    I guess that would be the same as not resuscitating, or stopping treatment at their request.

I think it's noble to assist people if they are suffering, although I see your point too. Just don't agree it's the kind thing to do but I do respect it

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (28-05-2012),Witwicky  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I guess that would be the same as not resuscitating, or stopping treatment at their request.

I think it's noble to assist people if they are suffering, although I see your point too. Just don't agree it's the kind thing to do but I do respect it
    Helping/letting different IMO. Thanks for being respectful Benji
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 28-05-2012 at 17:36. Reason: fixing smilie

16. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Benji  (28-05-2012)