+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    1) The hospital I was in encourage skin to skin immediately, I had elective caesar, the minute they finish drying baby they hurled her up my bare breasts while I was being stitched up, I asked DH to take over baby as I started feeling nauseous from the drugs. Then in recovery the midwife helped me put her on the breast and we fed before going back up to the ward. Baby slept and fed intermittently for the first few days.

2) I had my shower the next morning after they removed the catheter. I was feeling sticky etc. and yuck and felt much better after a shower. I used a wet wipe the night before as I was sweaty. Just avoid using heavily perfumed products. Baby didn't bathe till day 3, the hospital also discouraged bathing baby in the first 24 hours as the vernix is beneficial to baby. We were going to do the baby bath on day 2 but just didn't get around to it.

3) I tried both however find my baby isn't attaching properly if I let her free reign, so I have to give her a bit of help. Make sure you summon the midwife to watch you put baby on the boobs the first few days, it's important to learn as much as you can while in hospital. Try different positions, hands, chairs, pillows, rolled up towels.

4) I'm in the BF'ing is hard group. Still trying to figure it out and baby is still having issues with latching and her tongue position, I'm hoping as she gets a bit bigger and more developed things will improve for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post

Our family is coming to stay from overseas so I can't limit their visiting hours unfortunately...
    thats great! you will have someone to do all the housework/cook/clean and when the baby is sleeping (and only wants to sleep in someones arms) you can hand bubbie over and go for a snooze yourself.

My MIL came and stayed for a week when DH went back to work and I loved every second of it.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    1) they have said that bubs first bf can take up to 8 hours to take place and ideally no interference should occur in terms of "assistance" with latching, hand expressing, etc. I am comfortable with this but no I will get resistance from the hospital as they reckon the first feed should happen within one hour! Does anyone have experience with handling this?
    Find out what your hospital policy is but in most cases you will/should find that bubs will be placed straight on your chest after birth (providing there have been no issues at birth) and if possible you may want to try the first bf then. Don't worry if he/she doesn't seem interested but they may want to try later. Don't get caught up in times etc and start to panic because it's nearly an hour and bubs hasn't had a feed yet. Remember that if you have any drugs during labour your baby may be more sleepy and not interested in feeding anyway.

2) they mentioned not showering and only washing from waist down for 2-3 days which does not sound appealing after labour! Has anyone done this? Same for not bathing bubs in this period too, and I imagine they would be covered in vernix, etc.
    As for washing yourself this is debatable. Just see how you feel. It can't hurt to not wash but I'm sure there are plenty of women on this forum who have washed and gone on to bf successfully. As for bubs, they usually just get wipped down and the smell of a newborn is just delicious. It's quite common to not bath them for a few days.

3) baby led attachment - they have said that the best way to do this is for you to have no top on at all and bub also to be naked so you have skin on skin, place the baby up by your heart and then let them find their own way to the breast. Again I am totally comfortable with this. My question is, I am obviously not going to be able to do this all the time as I will have visitors staying and don't want to be locked away in order to feed... I imagine I can pretty much do this exclusively for a week or so and then will have to alternate between that and mother led attachment. The ABA said this was of course fine as its important to get out and about but just keen to hear of others experience of this and alternating between the two.
    Some people do this with great success. I believe you tube has quite a few videos of baby led attachment. I preferred to help them though, they've had a big day and I just wanted to hold them and help them attach. A dressing gown is great for skin to skin. I also had lots of bf'ing tops that open up under the b00bs. I would suggest watching lots of you tube clips of both parent led and baby led attachment and then seeing how you feel when the time comes.

4) they said BF'ing should be pain free. How realistic is this??
    Pfft. The only absolute in breastfeeding that I am aware of is that in the absence of rare medical conditions, breastmilk is superior than formula. Some women have no pain, ever. They are the lucky ones. Some women when they first start bf'ing will have attachment pain. This is toe curling pain that in some instances can be as painful as pushing a baby out but lasts for about 30 seconds. It can vary immensely how long it will last (I think I experienced attachment pain for about 4 to 6 weeks but that's probably long). Pain can also be caused by infections, thrush, vasospasms, blebs and unknown reasons. It took me 5 months to get to pain free feeding but I think I'm an extreme case. My DD is 17 months now and since she had teeth the attachment is a lot sharper and even now I wince when she attaches.

Did they mention that bf bubs will often be fussier and not sleep as deeply as ff bubs? BF'ing can be really REALLY hard and I would suggest having a bf plan so that you've got some strategies if/when things get tough.

HTH

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had skin to skin immediately, but only for 30 mins. I didnt attempt a feed until nearly 24hrs after birth.
    I had to be sponge bathed after the birth, I didnt get to the ward until about 8 hours later (I was in ICU)
    At home I wore a loose top and would lounge on the couch with DD under my shirt or wear her in the sling. We spent many days nakey together to help feeding (turns out she couldnt latch and I have medical issues and less supply, so thing were bumpy)
    Good on you for doing the class, I found them a big help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the detailed responses.

Yes I'm aware they sleep lighter and for less time than FF babies but I'm ok with that (famous last words?!). I'm going to give BF a red hot go and will def do a BF plan. Will just see how it goes but I figure a lot of info will give me the best chance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in a lot of pain for the first couple of weeks and found getting a good latch a little tricky. A friend told me if I was thinking of giving up not to until at least 6 weeks as after that it all falls into place...almost 14 months later we are still going strong! Unfortunately I can't help with the straight after birth questions as I can't really remember what I did exactly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I may suffer some criticism for saying this......I did the ABA class too along with my best friend who was also pregnant. We caught up last night and we both said to each other that we wish we'd never done that class.

What they don't tell you is that breastfeeding doesn't work out for everyone. They also say that all breastfeeding problems can be solved with the right support etc which is wrong.

I almost killed myself trying to breastfeed my son who in the end was tongue tied and he just could not latch (even after getting his tongue clipped). I persisted for 4 months, and totally regret how hard I pushed myself. All I could think of was that class and I felt so guilty I couldn't do it.

My friend who did the class with me didn't get to have skin to skin contact with her son because he had to be resuscitated and she said she feels guilty because of that class.

I am very pro breastfeeding and hope I can feed my next child. I totally agree with the three points you have raised and I did all those things. However, just please don't beat yourself up if things don't go to plan and you can't do what they recommend. It doesn't mean your breastfeeding relationship with your baby will be ruined.

Try not to take things too seriously and cause yourself unnecessary anxiety. Try and relax and enjoy the time with your new baby without worrying if you're doing things right.

Best wishes, I hope everything goes well for you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hi all

I've just been to the ABA workshop (I'm due in 5 weeks) which I found very useful overall. I just wondered if some of you experienced BF'ers could give me your thoughts on a couple of things:

1) they have said that bubs first bf can take up to 8 hours and ideally no interference should occur in terms of "assistance" with latching, hand expressing, etc. I am comfortable with this but no I will get resistance from the hospital as they reckon the first feed should happen within one hour! Does anyone have experience with handling this?

2) they mentioned not showering and only washing from waist down for 2-3 days which does not sound appealing after labour! Has anyone done this? Same for not bathing bubs in this period too, and I imagine they would be covered in vernix, etc.

3) baby led attachment - they have said that the best way to do this is for you to have no top on at all and bub also to be naked so you have skin on skin, place the baby up by your heart and then let them find their own way to the breast. Again I am totally comfortable with this. My question is, I am obviously not going to be able to do this all the time as I will have visitors staying and don't want to be locked away in order to feed... I imagine I can pretty much do this exclusively for a week or so and then will have to alternate between that and mother led attachment. The ABA said this was of course fine as its important to get out and about but just keen to hear of others experience of this and alternating between the two.

4) they said BF'ing should be pain free. How realistic is this??

I think that was the main things... Thanks in advance!
    I think the class sounds a bit pie-in-the sky and misleading like the bf'ing class i went to...which is not good for new mums who need to be aware of the negatives so they can be prepared.

1) I have never heard the first feed will take 8 hours. Perhaps feeding on and off for a looongggg time, but not 8 hours all in one session. Sounds ridiculous to me. Bub has a small tummy and will fill up on colostrum way before then. Did the class actually don't say don't bf in the first hour? What is their reasoning, sounds funny to me. If bub is upset and crying then feed. If not go With the flow.

No assistance with latching... Huh? Do they mean no assistance with positioning/latching from the midwives? Midwives know how it's done, new mums dont (usually). Bf'ing is difficult, why would you make the situation worse by denying assistance? If you get the technique wrong at the start that can make pain worse and start the slippery slope towards failure.

2) has this got something to do with bub liking your body odor? I was never told this. I'm sure bub is going to smell your boobs anyway, if in doubt express a little colostrum
    And rub on your nipples. Giving birth is hard and you need to feel relaxed as possible afterwards. Having a brand new bubba is hard, stinking and feeling disgusting IMO isn't worth rumored benefits.

My hospital recommended not washing bub for about 3-4 days as the vernix is moisturizing for the skin.

3) another new age waffle term that describes something people have been doing already to some extent. Not wearing a top while feeding makes sense in the first few days/weeks when mum and bub are still trying to figure out how to feed. It's just easier. I don't see any reason you need to take your top off after that. After a few weeks you will probably be such a pro that you can breastfeed while wearing a good nursing top. Theres no need to go topless. Baby can still lead feeding .. Just watch bubs 'hungry' cues.

4). What a bleeping misleading statement. If you AND bub do things absolutely perfectly from day 1 then MAYBE (perhaps) it will be painfree. But how many new mums and bubs are experts from the get go? Every one of my friends has had some pain for at least a few weeks. My bf'ing class didn't mention anything at all about the problems and pain that could be experienced with bf'ing. Perhaps they deliberately mislead new mums to make it sound all rosy ... So they will try bf'ing?

IMO bf'ing advocates will do a much better service to new mums if they warn them about pain: cracked nipples, bleeding, at the start those first 10 seconds when bub strarts sucking are a killer. And don't get me started about the pain when your milk comes in!

Best of luck with bf'ing. Ask for and take assistance from whoever is there to help you. But trust your instincts and don't let anyone guilt or con you into doing something you're not comfortable with.

Best of luck

Ps. despite my post, after a few weeks I actually started enjoying bf'ing and now i think it is awesome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thanks so much for the detailed responses.

Yes I'm aware they sleep lighter and for less time than FF babies but I'm ok with that (famous last words?!). I'm going to give BF a red hot go and will def do a BF plan. Will just see how it goes but I figure a lot of info will give me the best chance.
    Some bf babies sleep well. My bf boy was sleeping 6-8 hours a night from about 4 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    VicPark - just letting you know I have now edited my post - I meant to say the first feed should happen within 8 hours not that it would last that long! Ouch!

I am aware that it may well be difficult and in some cases is just not possible. This is why I went to the class as I don't assume it will all come naturally. I'm just going to do my best and certainly wont be killing myself. Happy mum = happy bub! I also want to express after 10-12 weeks so DH can do so feeds which I know the ABA would not approve of!!