+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Few questions after ABA class

Hi all

I've just been to the ABA workshop (I'm due in 5 weeks) which I found very useful overall. I just wondered if some of you experienced BF'ers could give me your thoughts on a couple of things:

1) they have said that bubs first bf can take up to 8 hours to take place and ideally no interference should occur in terms of "assistance" with latching, hand expressing, etc. I am comfortable with this but no I will get resistance from the hospital as they reckon the first feed should happen within one hour! Does anyone have experience with handling this?

2) they mentioned not showering and only washing from waist down for 2-3 days which does not sound appealing after labour! Has anyone done this? Same for not bathing bubs in this period too, and I imagine they would be covered in vernix, etc.

3) baby led attachment - they have said that the best way to do this is for you to have no top on at all and bub also to be naked so you have skin on skin, place the baby up by your heart and then let them find their own way to the breast. Again I am totally comfortable with this. My question is, I am obviously not going to be able to do this all the time as I will have visitors staying and don't want to be locked away in order to feed... I imagine I can pretty much do this exclusively for a week or so and then will have to alternate between that and mother led attachment. The ABA said this was of course fine as its important to get out and about but just keen to hear of others experience of this and alternating between the two.

4) they said BF'ing should be pain free. How realistic is this??

I think that was the main things... Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by kw123; 27-05-2012 at 18:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing :-) I was also at an aba class today (maybe the same one??) and wondered about these things :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds very extreme to me, I think breastfeeding is a really natural thing to some an very difficult for others.
    You really should do the same with this advice as any other an do what works for you an bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeweller View Post
    Subscribing :-) I was also at an aba class today (maybe the same one??) and wondered about these things :-)
    Carnegie in VIC?

Thanks
    Reviews
    1) they have said that bubs first bf can take up to 8 hours and ideally no interference should occur in terms of "assistance" with latching, hand expressing, etc. I am comfortable with this but no I will get resistance from the hospital as they reckon the first feed should happen within one hour! Does anyone have experience with handling this?

Ideally yes - but if you have a difficult birth or baby is taken away for resus or whatever you may not get skin-skin immediately. If you are taken away make sure you DH insists on skin-skin. I had severe post birth bleeding and they gave DH the baby to do skin/skin for the first hour or so till I got stabilized.

I have not heard about the first feed being 8hrs but DD did feed on/off for 10hrs that first day.

2) they mentioned not showering and only washing from waist down for 2-3 days which does not sound appealing after labour! Has anyone done this? Same for not bathing bubs in this period too, and I imagine they would be covered in vernix, etc.

DD wasnt bathed till day 3 for this reason. they just wiped her face and mouth with a facewasher. I did shower but didnt use any soaps/cream/lotions for the first month. just lots of hot hot water. the point is to not lose or overwhelme your natural body odour.

3) baby led attachment - they have said that the best way to do this is for you to have no top on at all and bub also to be naked so you have skin on skin, place the baby up by your heart and then let them find their own way to the breast. Again I am totally comfortable with this. My question is, I am obviously not going to be able to do this all the time as I will have visitors staying and don't want to be locked away in order to feed... I imagine I can pretty much do this exclusively for a week or so and then will have to alternate between that and mother led attachment. The ABA said this was of course fine as its important to get out and about but just keen to hear of others experience of this and alternating between the two.

Have specific visiting times ie 5-6pm in the hospy and thats it! I had all my family visit at the one time in the one evening and the rest of hte time I lay in bed/sat on a chair with DD on my chest whenever she was awake. the minute she went to sleep I put her down and walked around/toilet/shower/food etc.

Same thing at home. babies are only awake for 30m-1hr and then go to sleep so use the awake time for boobs and sleep time (palm baby to visitors and you go to sleep)

4) they said BF'ing should be pain free. How realistic is this?
    If you are crying then you are not doing it right. Yes its uncomfortable, grazing and your nipples have never been used like this before! but with a correct latch it should only sting when bub gets on and then once feeding it should be fine.
    My nipples only hurt for about a week. I layered on lanisoh between feeds, walked around topless (to my DH's joy) and got sun on them 3-4 times a day for 5-10mins.
    It took a while for DD to work on her latch automatically (4mths!!!) and I kept having to take her off and put her back on properly. But I was pain free from 6days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Carnegie in VIC?
    Yes!!! How funny! We had to leave at the break because I was having horrible pains and was VERY uncomfortable. I hope we didn't miss out on too much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hello. I can't answer all your questions, but here goes:
    1) Our first bf was within the hour after she was born. I don't think there's any issue with at least allowing bub to attach within the first hour?
    2) I washed within the first couple of hours because I was covered in blood from the skin to skin contact. DD wasn't washed at all while in hospital, just a little bit of wiping down.
    3) I didn't do baby led attachment, so can't really help there. But skin-to-skin is great. I did that for most of my feeds in hospital and in my first week.
    4) Theoretically it should be pain free if you have the correct attachment. At least that's what I'm told. Though IME there is pain experienced with other aspects such as engorgement (which HURTS!).

Good luck!!
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 27-05-2012 at 18:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jeweller View Post
    Yes!!! How funny! We had to leave at the break because I was having horrible pains and was VERY uncomfortable. I hope we didn't miss out on too much!
    Oh no! No the main part was def the first half. One lady did talk a bit about different hold positions and there was a bit more on hunger cues. DH said the dads chat was not exactly ground breaking so your partner didn't miss much either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Oh no! No the main part was def the first half. One lady did talk a bit about different hold positions and there was a bit more on hunger cues. DH said the dads chat was not exactly ground breaking so your partner didn't miss much either.
    Thats good to know. I was worried we'd missed out on heaps of important info.

Good luck with your baby :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all! And I should have clarified that I meant the first feed would take place within the first 8 hours, whereas my hospital insists it needs to take place within the first hour. How long the feed is actually for doesn't seem to be a concern. I just don't want them to start manhandling me or bub if it doesn't happen within exactly an hour.

Our family is coming to stay from overseas so I can't limit their visiting hours unfortunately...