+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default C-sec questions

Hi ladies, I'm booked in for a Caesar on Wednesday due to a few complications. I have a quite a few questions.I am going to a private hospital so hubby can stay in the room with me but not in the same bed (on the first night). Is it worth him staying the first night or is he better getting some rest at home?How long do you usually stay in recovery for? Can my family come and see us in recovery or do they wait until I'm back in my room?How do you generally feel on the first day? Should we tell visitors to hold off on coming in or do you feel up to visitors? I'm thinking maybe immediate family on the first day.How did breast feeding go for you after a c-sec? I'm nervous about attachment after a Caesar, I'm hoping that my body will know what to do especially as I'm past my due date. Any advise would be great! I'm feeling very nervous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd ask him to stay the first night. You won't be very mobile (especially if you have an afternoon c-section) and having hubby there will mean you don't have to buzz a nurse whenever you need to pick baby up or put baby down. My DD choked on spit up on her first night and I was hooked up to an IV and had a catheter in, I couldn't get to her and the lady in the next bed jumped up and grabbed her for me and we cleared her airway.

I said my mum and my MIL only were allowed to visit until I got my catheter out (day after with first and the night of with my second). So I had no other visitors on the first day, I was much more comfortable about seeing people once I had it out and was showered and dressed.

I was in recovery for about 30 minutes both times, DH and the baby were in there with me both times (it varies with different hospitals) and no one could visit us in there, Mum was waiting on the maternity ward for us to come back.

Good luck with your babies arrival! My csections were great, I hope yours is too!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

moosey  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Hi ladies, I'm booked in for a Caesar on Wednesday due to a few complications. I have a quite a few questions.I am going to a private hospital so hubby can stay in the room with me but not in the same bed (on the first night). Is it worth him staying the first night or is he better getting some rest at home?How long do you usually stay in recovery for? Can my family come and see us in recovery or do they wait until I'm back in my room?How do you generally feel on the first day? Should we tell visitors to hold off on coming in or do you feel up to visitors? I'm thinking maybe immediate family on the first day.How did breast feeding go for you after a c-sec? I'm nervous about attachment after a Caesar, I'm hoping that my body will know what to do especially as I'm past my due date. Any advise would be great! I'm feeling very nervous!
    I had my bub planned c-sec in a private QLD hospy

I didn't have husband stay, no point for me, the nurses are there to help and know you can't move and the midwives and nurses were amazing. My bub slept anyway.

I was in recovery for like maybe an hour. No family in recovery and my hospy told us not to pass the baby round to much for cuddles, they need skin to skin with mum in the first few days not to be passed around to catch germs from family who can have a hold later (midwives words not mine)

First day I felt like rubbish! Can't stand up, can't do much at all. I didn't have visitors until the Friday (bub born Wednesday) my girlfriends came up and we and the nurses all watched the royal wedding from my room because none of the other women were up to having people in their rooms. Lol. So maybe just depends?

Your body will know what to do, just do lots of skin to skin and limit visitors while in hospital. Bub needs to learn your smell and attach to you, not be confused and tired out by being passed around.

I hope that didn't come across mean :-S

I looooved my c-section!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

moosey  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How exciting! I was happy that FOB stayed with me, you can't do much for yourself so help is great. I was in recovery for almost an hour, they waited until I begun to get sensation back to move me to the ward. My son was taken up to NICU, and his father went with him. I'm not sure if FOB would have been allowed into recovery but bubs are, no other visitors.

I had visitors the following day, but only immediate family and my best friend. I was so overwhelmed I wasn't in the mood for crowds! I hope it all goes well on Wednesday!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

moosey  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to add, my milk didn't come in until day 6 so he had to have two formula feeds in the meantime as he was losing weight. We're still BFing at 16 months so no lasting issues and no trouble bonding whatsoever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

moosey  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DH was not allowed to stay first night which at first I was upset about but it was actually a good idea! That first night I was pretty out of it and they had to come in every hour or so to monitor you, plus catheter was still in so you can't really move! They brought DS to me no problems and DH actually did get to have a good sleep ( he was back at the hospital by 6am)

He stayed every other night and really it's the 2/3rd night you really need him!

I was in recovery for about an 3/4 hour and DH and my mum were with DS, as soon as I got back to the room I called everyone to come in ( as I was feeling so much better than I thought) so by 6pm I had about 12 people in the room! ( in laws, siblings, friends) so honestly it really depends how you feel if you want to see anyone or not
    My milk didn't come in until day 3, and I'll be honest it was tough but luckily the lactation consultants were really good and encouraging! My biggest tip is please try not to stress, it was so much easier and pain free than I had imagined!
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH could have stayed but I didn't need/want him to and so he was much better off going home and getting some sleep. The midwives helped me so really there was no actual 'need' for him to stay any of the nights that I was in hospital.

There was no recovery room after my c-section. DS. DH and I went straight up to the room and anyone was able to visit. We spent the first couple of hours alone and then some friends and family visited.

I was not in much pain at all and had to be reminded to take pain relief. The second day I actually forgot about the operation and jumped into bed. I laugh now but that actually did hurt and I had to ask the doctor if I had torn the stitches - I didn't but I was told off for not taking it easy enough heh. I am a pain wuss (or at least I thought that I was/am) so I really was surprised at how pain free I was.

One thing that did happen to me, and I do not know if it is common or not, is that I blew up like a puffer fish and could not even fold one leg under the other my fluid retention was that bad. I was on blood thinning injections after the op due to be overweight so I am not sure if that caused the retention or not. It went away after a few days.

I do not know if it is c-section related or not because I actually went into labour before the op (2 days before the elective c-section was scheduled) but my milk never really came in. I gave DS what I could but by day 2 nothing was happening except the odd few drops so I asked for formula.

DS and I bonded immediately. I have never had a vaginal birth but I personally do not see why a c-section would effect the bonding process. Maybe if my c-section had been unplanned or traumatic I may have felt different but my experience was a breeze and I can honestly say that I loved every minute and next pregnancy I will not hestiate to have another c-section.

Congrats on your pending birth - try and relax and enjoy the process as much as possible. Speak up if you want something or are not happy with something as a c-section should be as much about what you want as a vaginal birth should be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH didn't stay overnight at all, he could've though. I figured it was better that one of us was fresh. I napped a lot during the day cuddling DD while DH was in the room without having to stress about anything.

I only had my mum and dad visit me the first day. I'd reacted badly to the meds (I react to bloody all drugs it seems) so I was pretty wiped. Don't have visitors until you're ready.

I had no issues BF, I think my milk came in on day 4. Still going good 4 months in

All the best for Wednesday!
    Last edited by Mrs E; 31-05-2012 at 16:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was in a private QLD hospital too, and DH could have stayed but we agreed that he wouldn't. You get woken up a LOT to feed the baby and for blood pressure checks throughout the night (very annoying when you have just dropped off to sleep and someone wants to take your blood pressure), and we decided that it was better for him to get some rest at home.

I was in recovery for about an hour. No one was allowed to visit in recovery, but DH got to cuddle DD for that whole time in my room.

I felt pretty good on the first day. My CS was at 2pm, and I felt okay afterwards - just a bit tired. Not much pain. No side effects.

We agreed beforehand that we would have no visitors until day 2, and we told everyone that in advance. We wanted that first day to bond with DD and to just be the 3 of us. I'm glad we did, as I got a bit overwhelmed with the visitors in the following days. I felt physically up to it, but was very emotional/ hormonal, and remember crying one day as I couldn't face another visitor.

BF didn't go well for me, but I don't think it was to do with the CS. My milk came in on day 5, which was the day I was home. I BF colostrum until then. It went okay at first, although I did get engorgement (ginormous, rock hard, painful b00bs). But then after a few days my milk all disappeared. I never got it back, despite many interventions. We switched to FF after a few weeks, and while I was very upset about it at the time, I am now okay with that. DD is happy, healthy, intelligent, and developmentally ahead. She's nearly 2, and the feeding no longer feels like the big important thing it did at the time.

Good luck! Hope all goes well. The best advice I can give is to stay on top of your meds, and keep taking the painkillers even if you don't feel like you need them. Someone gave me that advice too, and I was glad of it, as I didn't feel like I needed them, but I was told that if you stop taking them then you very often DO need them not long afterwards, and it can be hard to get back on top of the pain management.

Also, you may be given Tramadol as a painkiller, and it can make you feel a bit emotional - as can giving birth!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a pretty traumatic emergency CS and still bonded with baby and had enormous amount of milk! (milk came in on day 3-4)

I would definitely have your hubby stay, I couldn't move after my CS so having him there with me for a few days/night straight was great. Even just changing nappy or getting baby up to feed. I found it easier than to get a nurse to my room. Sometimes you have to wait for a nurse as they are often busy.