+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Buttoneska;6589080]

So what other tips /things shoudl I know
    -should I buy a breast pump - manual or electric
    -what do i need to go with the breast pump - bottles etc?
    -should I buy nipple shields
    -what creams/ointments are worth having around?
    -shoudl I by some thrush cream in advance in case I get nipple thrush?
    -I am using terry flats so was planning on getting some extra to help with al the mess
    -bf pillow? I am big and have big saggy sideays boobs with the nipples at the bottom of them (gross I know)

QUOTE]

I didnt buy a pump till I needed it for going back to work. and I bought it online and it arrived in 3 days.

I didnt need nipple shields but a friend of mine used the medela ones and loved them.

Lanisoh and paw paw ointment are lifesavers.

never had to use thrush ointment - but I did do a few things to reduce the chance of thrush. ie I did drink fennel/fenugreek tea daily to prevent mastitis and ensure good supply. used washable breast pads (avent) and changed them 2-3hrly to keep nipples clean and dry. used a terry flat to absorb milk from the non-feeding boob and changed that each feed. Placed a fresh towel under me (over a brolly sheet to save my mattress) and changed that each time it got too wet when I was sleeping and it saved me on washing sheets every day. Cabbage leaves on the boobs to help with engorgement (or wet face washers in the fridge).

I just used a normal pillow but make sure that wherever I was feeding - lying down/sitting up, I was well supported and food/drink plus had either reading material/tv to keep me amused. newborn feeds take FOREVER! oh and pee before you feed cos often you will need to pee mid feed or just as the baby is dozing. and the pelvic floor isnt so strong....

eat heaps of protein/carbs/fresh fruit and veges. Drink loads of water and avoid diuretics if possible. sleep when bub is sleeping as your body needs to recover.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    oh and has anyone used these? think they are worth investing in?
    http://thebabystoreplus.blogspot.com...aver-dont.html

never heard about them before. I'm not too fussed as I know from previous experience that I can get 150-200mL per boob at a time from expressing.

hey if you like it go for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    -should I buy a breast pump - manual or electric

If you are not planning to stay at home then yes I would suggest a pump, I have both avent manual and electric and wish id just brought the electric straight up, the thing I love about it is you push the button on the top, pump manually a hand full of times and press the button and it copies the rhythm, I used an expensive one when Ds was hospitalised and hated it, it damaged my nipples.

-what do i need to go with the breast pump - bottles etc?
    You will need bottles, I would suggest introducing a bottle early to ensure bub will take one once you return to work, I preferred the same brand bottle as my pump as it just screwed on and I didn't have to transfer anything

-should I buy nipple shields
    Not til you know if you need them, I got damaged nipples with mastics but found a nipple shield would not work for bub and I

-what creams/ointments are worth having around? For you at first lanisoh and paw paw

-shoudl I by some thrush cream in advance in case I get nipple thrush?
    Nope, if you do get thrush then buy it

-I am using terry flats so was planning on getting some extra to help with al the mess

Not sure what you mean? Terry flats for nappies?

-bf pillow? I am big and have big saggy sideays boobs with the nipples at the bottom of them (gross I know) I was 75 kilos after Ds was born and my nipples have always hung low but I didn't need a pillow, it varies woman to woman though alot of women swear by them

Oh and I was planning on feeding on demand rahter then a routine kinda of thing?

Perfectly fine as long as you and bub are happy, only thing you should watch out for is if bub doesn't feed very long they may miss the fatty end of feed milk

Other advice? Ignore everyones advice, it took me 3 days to get Ds to latch and I wasn't comfortable nursing until Ds and I had been at home away from everyone for a week.

It can hurt, let down is ouch for me let down was an intense throbbing in the nipple that wasn't being nursed on, I found gentle pressure eased the pain and had a bottle ready to catch the large amount of spray out

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a really big chest too and started feeding with football hold. However I was in too much pain and so changed back to a normal hold. I also found I had to BF with two hands. One would hold DD and the other would hold my boob out of her face otherwise she couldn't breathe I didn't have a BF pillow but did use a pillow sometimes two as I found DD to be really heavy and had really sore arms after the first day. ABA for me was the best place to get advise. They all seem to have the same advise so it's not so confusing. I found the midwives to all have different opinions and were very against me using nipple shields
    Thankfully I kept at it tho and after I got home it's so much easier as your less stressed in your own home.
    Oh also I had a really hard time BF in the nursing chairs in the hosp. I ended up putting a stool under my feet to lift my knees and it made it loads more comfortable too
    All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I reckon you're gonna be fine! Most people I know aren't so prepared. It's great you'll have you're sisters support.
    One thing to remember is relax. Once you've got bub latched on take a deep breath, relax your shoulders and that will help the milk let down, plus help you avoid muscle strain you can get if you have tension in your shoulders/arms/chest/back. If it hurts after a minute, unlatch and latch again It shouldn't be painful. Make sure you've got a comfortable feeding place. Don't necessarily need to buy a chair before the birth, but once you settle into feeding you'll know what position works for you, and if you can't get comfy in that position at home then go chair shopping. You're gonna spend a lot of time feeding so it's important to be comfortable.
    And learn to feed lying down. Great for evening and night feeds. Feed bub to sleep on the bed then either co-sleep or scoop sleeping bub up and gently pop into cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG I just deleted my reply by accident and now have to start again! Hope I dont leave anything out!

Being that you are not close to the shops plus they close early, I would suggest getting everything ready to go so you dont stress if something pops up.

I had a very rocky start to bfing so i dont want to scare you, but I want to help you be prepared just incase
    The things I used included-

*Lanisoh Nipple cream - fantastic for cracked nipples

*Thrush cream (cannot remember the name off the top of my head sorry) Bubs got thrush and gave it to me.... I passed it back to bub.... bub passed it back to me again... omg!

*Breast pads! Wish i had shares in these I was going through a set every feed

*I have a manual and an electric pump. I barely use the electric. I had a huge supply and bubs couldnt even latch on unless I expressed before each feed.

*Nipple sheilds - Saved my bfing life!

*Dont be afraid to call the ABA. I was and I suffered. You can also email them too. The thought of being on the phone for 10 mins while dp was out and I was trying to feed, cry, pee, cleanup, sleep etc was not an option so one day it took my a couple of hours to write an email but I got there haha

If you get pain/sore nipples - start using lanisoh straight away.... if it gets worse, keep using it and add nipple sheilds...

**************ABOVE ALL be PROUD that you are giving it a go!!! Its hard, but well worth the end result.

In the start I had engorement issues, 2 weeks of thrush, 6 weeks of mucking around with antibiotics (docs didnt know what was wrong. It ended up I was allergic to nipple shields but had to keep using them due to servere cracked nipples!) But now.......... NO ISSUES, IT DOESNT HURT, ITS EASY AND ITS SOOOOO NATURAL TO ME!

Good luck!!! Just ask for help if you need some x

Set yourself small goals too..... when I was having issues the thought of still breast feeding in a months time bought tears to my eyes. So in the early days my goal was to get through the next feed, and then the next. The it was to get through the afternoon... and then the night.... soon it turned into trying to feed until tomorrow. It was a good 3 months before I thought I could feed for the next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and if you have big boobs, the football hold and laying down are great positions to feed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry me again!! Haha

If you plan on freezing milk, don't waste money on milk bags... Use glad snap lock bags and write on them. It's heaps cheaper!

And drink LOTS of water x