User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 1st timer - what do I need to know about BF?

Due in November and really want to BF. I have great support from my sister who will be staying with me for a month (she a mid/mchn) but Im wondering what real experience/tips from actual mums I should take on board.

I live in the country - about 30min from the shop/chemist and everything closes at 5pm, 12noon sat and noone open Sunday so I sort of need to be organised.

I will be returning to work at around 5mths and planning on expressing then so I can continue to BF bubs.

I also have vasospasm (where my nipples lose blood flow and go white and painful). From what I have read this can make BF a challenge. I already have self warming breastpads that you wear inside your bra and a wheat pack (warmth helps) and have been taking magnesium which also helps apparently.

So what other tips /things shoudl I know
    -should I buy a breast pump - manual or electric
    -what do i need to go with the breast pump - bottles etc?
    -should I buy nipple shields
    -what creams/ointments are worth having around?
    -shoudl I by some thrush cream in advance in case I get nipple thrush?
    -I am using terry flats so was planning on getting some extra to help with al the mess
    -bf pillow? I am big and have big saggy sideays boobs with the nipples at the bottom of them (gross I know)

Oh and I was planning on feeding on demand rahter then a routine kinda of thing?

Anything else I shoudl know??

mr&mrs button & 2 baby boy buttons

baby button #1 - 23 long mths ttc - Finn Benjamin - 05.11.12
    baby button #2 - our delighful surprise - Jackson Theodore - 15.11.13

headoverfeet is online now You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Subbing for when I am home

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    thanks thermy - I will take all your advice!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm interested in others reply also. I'm bf'ing for first time, due in August.

My question to add (if U don't mind me adding) is: I've had a breast reduction and wondering if BF is going to be possible? I'm desperate to BF!!
    Me 35 & DH 36 (Failed Vas reversal)
    1DD, 2DSD, 1DSS, 1DS
    IVF #1- BFN IVF# 2 -BFP =1 handsome and stong Son

6. The Following User Says Thank You to angenrod For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a 1st time mum and I found lansinoh helpful and also hydrogel breast discs were a lifesaver.

I had a manual breastpump which I used when my nipples were just too sore. I also used shields but after. 4.5 months of pain I finally figured out that it was the shields causing the pain (friction etc) so since I lost the shields things have been great

But my nipples r quite sensitive do I had a fair bit of trouble but persisted. Bubs is now 13 months and now and I'm only just weaning now

Hope some of that helps

Oh and make sure u eat and drink enough. It helps with your supply

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Babeeboy For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Due in November and really want to BF. I have great support from my sister who will be staying with me for a month (she a mid/mchn) but Im wondering what real experience/tips from actual mums I should take on board.

I live in the country - about 30min from the shop/chemist and everything closes at 5pm, 12noon sat and noone open Sunday so I sort of need to be organised.

I will be returning to work at around 5mths and planning on expressing then so I can continue to BF bubs.

I also have vasospasm (where my nipples lose blood flow and go white and painful). From what I have read this can make BF a challenge. I already have self warming breastpads that you wear inside your bra and a wheat pack (warmth helps) and have been taking magnesium which also helps apparently.

So what other tips /things shoudl I know
    -should I buy a breast pump - manual or electric
    -what do i need to go with the breast pump - bottles etc?
    -should I buy nipple shields
    -what creams/ointments are worth having around?
    -shoudl I by some thrush cream in advance in case I get nipple thrush?
    -I am using terry flats so was planning on getting some extra to help with al the mess
    -bf pillow? I am big and have big saggy sideays boobs with the nipples at the bottom of them (gross I know)

Oh and I was planning on feeding on demand rahter then a routine kinda of thing?

Anything else I shoudl know??
    If you want to express enough for feeds once you are at work then definitely a good electric pump. May seem like alot of money but you save money on formula.
    Breastmilk storage bags are great to store the milk, they fit easily in the freezer and tell you how many ml's.

Then you would need bottles as well, and maybe a sterilizer, or you could possibly just use boiled water that's what I use for my breast pump.

Since you live in the country I would buy some shields just in case, better to be prepared. They were an absolute lifesaver for me, I wouldn't have been able to continue BFing without them.

I recommend lansinoh for chapped/blistered nipples. I've never had nipple thrush but again, since it would be harder for you to get easily then maybe get a tube to be prepared.

Terry flats are great for spit ups, I would often shove 1 on the breast she wasn't feeding on to catch the let down leaking on that side.

I never used BFing pillow but some people swear by them. They are quite expensive you could probably get away with a normal banana pillow or a firm normal pillow.

And feeding on demand is definitely the way to go to help supply. It will be hard, tiring, exhausting especially around growth spurts but it will be worth it. My biggest advice would be not to doubt yourself. Trust that your body will make the right amount of milk for your baby. Its great that you have already done alot of research and it seems like you will have alot of support which will help so much! I went through hell to get BFing going, my DD lost weight and there was pressure from Dr's to bottle feed her but thanks my IRL support and BH support I'm still feeding my 22 month old every time I had doubts/issues I would post a thread and get heaps of positive supportive replies. You will get the same too!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angenrod View Post
    I'm interested in others reply also. I'm bf'ing for first time, due in August.

My question to add (if U don't mind me adding) is: I've had a breast reduction and wondering if BF is going to be possible? I'm desperate to BF!!
    From everything I've read it should be possible for you! You should definitely contact ABA they are so helpful with this sort of thing!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    oh and has anyone used these? think they are worth investing in?
    http://thebabystoreplus.blogspot.com...aver-dont.html

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just had my 2nd bub and b/f again. IMO all mummies can b/f so stick to it. In the 1st few days before your milk comes in, really consult the nurses or hospitals lactation consultant for good education and training on how to latch bubs on your breast properly. Once youcan master this, any pain, cracked nipples, etc will be minimal. If bubs isn't latched on properly then b/f will literally make you cry in pain everytime you feed until your nipples have 'hardened up'.
    I used marcalan cream. Bubs can also feed from you even when you've got it on. Apply it a few wks before bubs is born too.
    In the 1st few wks of feeding, stick to it even if your sore. Once you get passed the soreness (if you even get it), the b/f'ing experience is a wonderful bonding experience.
    I used an electric breast pump for 1st bub. It was great, saved time. 2nd bub I've got a hand pump and I must admit I do prefer it. Less hassell.
    I also get white nipples. I dont think it's what you have though but it's never been a problem. A little tender at times but it's mostly been from letting bub suck to sleep and for too long.
    I have a d cup and I use a normal pillow. Don't waste your money on a b/f'ing pillow.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jazzybaby For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately I didnt get to breastfeed long term (only 4 months) due to my baby being premmie, low supply and some bad advice given to me But the best things I can suggest and that I will definitely take into consideration next time is to get in touch with the ABA, they have heaps of useful advice! In fact the ABA gave me more useful advice when I finally contacted them than the midwives did - I had a few midwives try to talk me out of BF simply because I'd started with so much trouble. I wish I had contacted the ABA earlier in our journey.

I found a nipple shield useful, and also invest in an breastpump in case you need it or to keep supply up. Definately use an electric one if you will be using it quite a bit. I had the medela swing and it was great - just like the hospital hire ones and portable, so easy to take anywhere you need to be. And there are other holds you can use other than the standard like the football hold - this turned out to be the only way I could feed my daughter and I'd never even heard of it before. Also sometimes you just have to persevere a little bit - out of my Mothers Group I think only 4 breastfed past the 6-8 week mark, and down the track a lot of these mums I spoke to said they stopped because it was such a struggle but the girls that kept going found the first few weeks were the hardest but once they got through that phase it became much more natural.

This is part of an email of suggestions the ABA sent me - you might some of the tips useful.
    " The following are strategies that other mothers have found successful to increase and maintain their supply:
    · Offer both breasts at each feed. You may find it is also helpful to change sides several times during a feed. Change at the times when sucking becomes less vigorous.
    · Ensure positioning and attachment is correct at every feed.
    · Breastfeed more frequently during the day..
    · When awake, offer a ‘top-up’ without waiting for baby to cry for a feed.
    REST, as much as possible, even just sitting with your feet up will help. These are just a starting point; there are many other things you can try if you think this could be possible.

No doubt you are being encouraged to feed ‘skin to skin’ with your top removed and baby as bare as possible. This contact stimulates the hormones that will release your milk and build the supply. Kangaroo care and baby wearing are wonderful ways for the baby to access your breast anytime she wishes. It is a good way for any support person or partner to carry on your special care with warm cuddles and give you a rest.

Here are some ABA tips that some mothers find useful to help achieve a let-down;
    Sit comfortably with your body well-supported in a quit warm area away from distractions.
    Relax your shoulders and chest muscles, using deep breathing and other relaxation exercises you may have learnt in antenatal classes. Someone massaging your shoulders or neck area may help too.
    Cuddle your baby or think about her. Skin to skin contact can really help.
    Have a drink of water handy.
    Put something warm on your breast such as a warm face-washer or warm heat pack just before the feed.
    Read, listen to your favourite music or watch TV to help you relax. Sometimes a distraction does the trick.
    Close you eyes and think about pleasant experiences, imagine your milk flowing.
    Gently massage your breasts. Gently stroke with the flat of your hand towards the nipple. While expressing gently roll the nipple of the other breast between your fingers.
    Having a support person who can encourage you, give you a massage etc.
    You mentioned feeding on demand and we fully support this. Bub's tummy is so small and breast milk is so easily digested that she will need frequent top-ups, no doubt more often than every three hours. Most mothers’ find that their babies want to feed between 8 – 12 times a days, as a baby’s stomach is only very small so they feed more often than adults. Mums find that they need to feed at least 6 times in 24 hours, but preferably at least eight times, just to maintain their supply."

Not sure if any of that is helpful to you but hopefully
    Last edited by erinn; 27-05-2012 at 16:02.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erinn For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (28-05-2012),Buttoneska  (27-05-2012)