+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Selling a car??

DF's Dad gave us a car that is unroadworthy and unregistered so we could fix it up for ourselves to save us having to buy a new car.
    Anyway we took it to a mechanic and it really needs too much done to it so I'd rather put that money towards a new car, so we were thinking of just chucking it on our lawn/gumtree with a couple of hundred dollars on it to sell it for parts!
    My question is that it isn't in either of our names, it's still in DP's Dads name so can we actually sell it? Do we need any transfer papers or not because it isn't registered?? Also we will be selling "as is" so no roadworthy/not registered, is there any papers we need for that or as long as we tell them it isn't roadworthy is that okay?? Neither of us have sold a car before so have no idea what we are supposed to do haha!!
    DP's Dad lives a few hours away (and is away on holidays at the moment) so hence why we haven't asked him yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If its not registered it's in no ones name is it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Legally the car is still in his name so even if unregistered Dp's dad need to do a notice of disposal, it needs to technically belong to you to sell it, so original rego papers are needed talk to your local road and traffic authorization if you don't have rego papers sometimes a receipt is good enough just saying "I mr .... Sell my (type of car, rego and vin number ) to (your name) for the value of ($50 they need some kinda price anything will do)
    But it needs to be in your or your partners name before selling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    If its not registered it's in no ones name is it?
    Well thats what I thought but wasn't sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Koberose View Post
    Legally the car is still in his name so even if unregistered Dp's dad need to do a notice of disposal, it needs to technically belong to you to sell it, so original rego papers are needed talk to your local road and traffic authorization if you don't have rego papers sometimes a receipt is good enough just saying "I mr .... Sell my (type of car, rego and vin number ) to (your name) for the value of ($50 they need some kinda price anything will do)
    But it needs to be in your or your partners name before selling
    Ah okay, well he did write a note when we had to drive it home saying that he is transferring it to us and he signed it, but as it wasn't a proper document I didn't think it really counted. Do you think that would be enough??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganMum View Post
    Ah okay, well he did write a note when we had to drive it home saying that he is transferring it to us and he signed it, but as it wasn't a proper document I didn't think it really counted. Do you think that would be enough??
    Did he end up transferring it?
    What state are you in? In nsw you can go onto the rta website and do a notice of disposal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does it still have plates on it? If not who has them or have they gone back to VicRoads/RTA etc? If the registration has lapsed but it still have plates the person who had the plates registered in their names needs to take them back to VicRoads (clearly I'm in Vic). So yes you can sell it but he will need to authorise the handing back of the plates.

If you sell without a RWC the plates obviously have to be taken off before they can drive off and technically the buyer needs to get a permit to drive the car from your place to theirs or they have to put it on the back of a tow truck.

Hope that makes some sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Shouldn't you be able to sell it regardless if its just for scrap? My ex bought an unregistered car and was using it for parts. One day some guy drove past and said he wanted to buy it. The ex sold it to him. There was never any transfer of ownership between anyone... so i don't know? Might depend on where you live? This was QLD so laws and what not tend to be more laid back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Koberose View Post
    Did he end up transferring it?
    What state are you in? In nsw you can go onto the rta website and do a notice of disposal
    We're in Vic, all we have is that bit of paper though he hasn't officially transferred it though Vic roads or anything.
    He took the plates off and got a 7 day pass so we could drive it home but that has expired now. We took it to the mechanic and he said a lot needs to be done to it so it wouldn't be worth anyone buying it to register. So if they're not registering it and just buying it for parts or a paddock basher (or whatever they're called haha!) does it need to be in our name?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they don't plan to register it I doubt they need to, but I don't know Vic roads but other wise it's basically it's scrap metal so shouldn't need authority's shouldn't need to involved