+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    LOL yes to all of the above. I work with young people, too, if you get the job you should look into the Finding myplace program, it's local library based program for kids at risk of dropping out of school, all about giving them a 'third space' ie the library to use as a point of info seeking and community engagement. It's a fantastic program but not one I can run here as the schools are pretty hoity toity and couldn't care less about their at risk kids, they'd rather they just buggered off to TAFE. It was piloted in WA but has been done all over the country.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-05-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with your original instinct. I work in the non-profit, human services sector too and the very corporate look is not the best fit in that field. When I worked as a youth worker (for a very short time) I got to wear jeans and docs and my fav tops - I loved it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What you picked sounds great. I work in community services also, but I dress even more low key than that and so do all of the women I work with. However that may be because we are a close knit community already and its so casual.. I think you are right in wanting to strike a balance between approachable and professional.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-05-2012)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    LOL yes to all of the above. I work with young people, too, if you get the job you should look into the Finding myplace program, it's local library based program for kids at risk of dropping out of school, all about giving them a 'third space' ie the library to use as a point of info seeking and community engagement. It's a fantastic program but not one I can run here as the schools are pretty hoity toity and couldn't care less about their at risk kids, they'd rather they just buggered off to TAFE. It was piloted in WA but has been done all over the country.
    Thanks for that info, I will check it out now. This service I am applying for seems to be really well connected to the community, so I wouldn't be surprised if the local library is involved.

Thanks to everyone, it has been really helpful to hear from those of you who have worked/are working in the human services sector!

The dress code for the interview is a bit confusing though, because the job is in an office environment rather than for example in a youth service, so I suppose a certain "office" look is expected. But thanks to all of your input, I think I will go for the blouse I bought!

Yay, I am so excited!

And nervous...
    Last edited by MuminMind; 26-05-2012 at 23:31.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope you went well!

I think what you explained sounds great

I am a bigger lady so I find it hard to wear button up blouses. I often choose nice black business pants, a nice sleeveless top (my arms don't fit anything) and then a Jacket or a nice cardi depending on who the interview is with.

I feel I look nice in that style and I think that is fine for office based work interviews. I used to wear suttoned up blouses and suit jackets when I was thinner but was often told I was over dressing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (31-05-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah hope it went well Mim
    I dread the day I have to dress up for interviews. I'm past the spewey stage mostly lol but geez I can barely remember the last time I left the house in something other than Jeans!