+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Job Interview - To button up, or not?

Hello there, ladies and gents.

I am after some advice regarding dress code for a job interview I have on Monday. It's been so long since I took off a spew-stained top and wore professional attire, that I feel completely clueless.

I am going for a job in the human welfare sector. It is a non-government agency and I will be an "employment and training officer" supporting youth at risk of disengaging from high school. I want to look professional of course, but also approachable. I don't want to alienate families by looking too corporate, if that makes sense.

I was originally wearing dark suit pants, black shoes and bought a black & creamed patterned blouse/top with cap-sleeves for my interview. It has a modest neckline and no buttons. I just did a bit of a catwalk show in front of my DP, and he thinks I should wear a buttoned up shirt to look more formal. Now I am totally in two minds about what I am wearing.

I live in North QLD and the weather is quite hot and I don't want to feel sweaty and uncomfortable when I get nervous during my interview. And as I have mentioned before, I don't want to look too corporate.

What should I wear? What would you wear? And could someone attend my interview for me? I am so nervous I could
    Last edited by MuminMind; 26-05-2012 at 22:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd go a short sleeved button up shirt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-05-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, I wouldn't wear a buttoned shirt for a job interview in the NGO sector. I work in local govt and I've never worn a full on suit in my whole career, not even for interviews.
    What you've chosen sounds perfect. Good luck!

ETA especially working with at risk youth, I think you're right on the money- you want to look professional but completely approachable.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 26-05-2012 at 22:35.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-05-2012),Shoopuf  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the shirt you bought sounds great to me. To me, I think a nice shirt can look just as formal as a button up shirt. JMO.

You'll be great! for you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree what you have originally selected sounds fine.

I have hired many people in the NGO sector that I work in and whenever I saw someone overdressed for an interview with us (eg business suit and tie) I would immediately know that they would either not be suitable for our workplace or would not last long.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-05-2012)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, you are fabulous!!! And kind of confirming what I am thinking. I know that it is often better to be over-dressed than under-dressed for an interview, but I feel that I need to look approachable, and that they need to see my personality through what I am wearing. (I'm not talking see-through garments, let's just be clear on that!)

(FL, I was really hoping you would reply!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    *blushes* why me?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-05-2012)

BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    *blushes* why me?
    Because you are really stylish and sensible. And you are a sexy librarian, are you not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL yes to all of the above. I work with young people, too, if you get the job you should look into the Finding myplace program, it's local library based program for kids at risk of dropping out of school, all about giving them a 'third space' ie the library to use as a point of info seeking and community engagement. It's a fantastic program but not one I can run here as the schools are pretty hoity toity and couldn't care less about their at risk kids, they'd rather they just buggered off to TAFE. It was piloted in WA but has been done all over the country.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-05-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your outfit sounds perfect and I would be just as nervous but you have 'the gift of the gab' and a massive heart which will shine through (but fwiw I think you're right about not being too formal)

Sooo looking forward to hearing how it goes, have everything crossed for you

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-05-2012)