+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    10
    Reviews
    0

    Default Miscarriage

    I went for a dating scan the other day at what i thought should have been 6weeks and 3days or 8weeks and 2days since LMP, my cycles are quit irregular, they couldn't see anything in the sack and the sack was only measuring 6weeks, the doctor has given me a greater then 90% chance of miscarriage.

    Then she started discussing ways to end my pregnancy, I said i will do it naturally....she then started pushing me about a D&C, then said about the tablets i said again i want to do it naturally. Why is their first aproch to everything lets do surgery. (i told her i didn't want to do surgery she said its only a minor operation.) She said we will discuss it more on Wednesday and to think about which option over the weekend. I don't think i will see her again i don't like her lets cut it open aproch

    I am devostated all i have done for the last 3 days is cry. I got my BFP on the 26/4/12 so i know my dates couldn't be any earlier then that 6weeks and 3days at the time of scan? =(

    This i like going through it for the second time they dignosed me with a missed miscarriage last time. That child turned out fine.

    My question is how long does it normally take to start miscarrying if you do it naturally? And how does it start? What do i exspect? Will i be able to look after my children while i go through it?
    Last edited by Mum 2 Isabel; 26-05-2012 at 20:33.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    tasmaina
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked
    21
    Reviews
    0
    Hi i will first say iam so sorry that you even have to think about it doing it at home can go either way for me it was very painful lots and lots of bleeding my husband had to take me to hospital i lost that much blood i just had a d&c a couple weeks ago its simple your only under for an hour and i only had a small amount of bleeding and cramping lasted about a week its not a huge operation but as i said some women dont have any trouble at home it does depend on if you want tests done on the baby to my ob said its easier with a d & c cause they get the whole lot and can test the placenta as well it really is up to you i would never do it at home again not sure on how long it takes to get started sorry iam not much help

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Hi Mum 2 Isabel. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. I am having a miscarriage myself at the moment of a baby who would have been due mid January but this is my fifth miscarriage (unknown causes) so dare I say the pain of the loss has become a little dulled for me.

    For what it's worth I've had all my miscarriages at home by choice - though like you I was pressured to have a d&c at various times. As for how long it takes, that depends on how long it takes for your body to recognise the loss. They can sometimes tell you by the ultrasound that it won't be long but there are times when your body just hangs on for unknown reasons and that can ultimately make it necessary for you to have that d&c after all. If I were in your situation and there was still no bleeding after a week I would be going back to the doctor for a follow-up.

    As for whether you will be able to look after your children while it happens, unfortunately I think you will just have to wait and see. It probably depends a bit on how much the baby had already grown. It can just be like a bad period or it can be like the experience of 6yearstrying with lots of pain and terrible bleeding. I've had easier and harder miscarriages but only once was I unable to look after my children due to the severity.

    I hope all that helps you in some way. Again so sorry for your loss.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,110
    Thanks
    1,604
    Thanked
    2,087
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally I would wait until another scan in a week before making any decisions about tablets or D&C. It is unusual to not see anything in the sac at 6 weeks, but not unheard of, there is a whole website dedicated to missdiagnosed misscarriage - and you've got personal experience of that as well.

    If the next scan is showing the sac is continuing to grow but is still empty, then you might want to look into your options beyond waiting it out. But I'd want to be 200% certain there was no chance that there is a live baby hiding in there before taking any action. I'm a bit shocked that the doc is pushing you into a D&C when there is a 10% chance that you will not miscarry (based on them saying there is a 90% chance you will!).

    From what I have read (but please, also do your own research) at this early stage if it is a missed misscarriage then there is not significant risk to your health just waiting it out for another week or 2.

    I had a missed misscarriage where bub was found at 8.5wks scan to measure 7.5wks and no heartbeat. Again at 9.5 weeks a scan confirmed bub still measured 7.5wks and no HB (sac was still growing). So I opted for a D&C. My OB was happy for me to wait it out if I'd wanted to misscarry naturally but said it could take another couple of weeks for my body to 'realise' the baby was no longer alive.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

    Liddybugs  (27-05-2012)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Murrumbeena
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    30
    Reviews
    0
    Please don't make any rash decisions- I had the exact same thing happen- a sac but no yolk or fetal pole seen at 6w4d. Sonographer said I will likely miscarry, but I am a midwife, and was still having all my pregnancy symptoms, so I ignored him...I am currently 35w1d with a very active little boy

  7. #6
    StretchmarkBarbie's Avatar
    StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,977
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked
    208
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Take it one day at a time. Do not feel pressured in any direction. I would be asking for a follow up scan in a week or so and bloods to see if HCG is rising. We are in the process of miscarrying at the moment after 10 days of ultrasounds and blood tests. Rest up and I hope everything goes smoothly for you

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked
    102
    Reviews
    0
    I had my two miscarriages at home. The first one was a miscarriage very painful but if I had had children I could have looked after them. Second one was a missed miscarriage last year. It took about two weeks from when the baby died to when I passed any blood. Some I actually passed at work - I guess life goes on - but most in toilet at home.

    Im not sure if giving birth in between made the second one less painful or not.

    My friend who is a Dr told me a missed one is much more likely to be an abnormality with the baby rather than an issue with the mother but of course nothing is certain.

    I waited last time because I wanted to be sure. I'd wait a little if I was you and maybe get one more scan.


    The biggest difference between my two was support, even if you can look after you kids you need a supportive partner or friend who is just there if you need them.

    Take care xxx and best of luck. I hope all my advice is not needed.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Possible miscarriage??
    By Gemini79 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-07-2012, 14:15
  2. How do I know if I've had a miscarriage?
    By Feezy in forum Pregnancy Loss Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 22:09
  3. TTC after miscarriage
    By MummyLip in forum Pregnancy Loss Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17-02-2012, 18:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Tribalance
TriBalance is a physio, yoga & pilates studio in Brisbane's inner north, offering specialised women's health physiotherapy services. Weekly pregnancy yoga classes are scheduled at the studio on Thursdays 1- 2pm and Saturdays 1-2:15pm.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!