+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know I said I don't go for this stuff but just in case it helps.. my neighbour had a completely drug free long long labour two years ago with a posterior baby. She didn't use homeopathy but she used some different essential oils.. some she inhaled and others for rubbing and she swears thats what got her through

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    I know I said I don't go for this stuff but just in case it helps.. my neighbour had a completely drug free long long labour two years ago with a posterior baby. She didn't use homeopathy but she used some different essential oils.. some she inhaled and others for rubbing and she swears thats what got her through

Thanks for that. They recommend some in the book, including clary sage (once labour has started).

As I won't have access to drugs at home, I think I'll probably just buy everything. I'm a dream client of these homeopathic (likely) charlatans, lol.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peasmum View Post
    It's also alcohol, added as preservative. Lol

I have used rescue remedy and also flower essences mixed by my naturopath. Seemed to work for me, not sure if it was placebo or not. They aren't diluted nearly as much as homeopathy, so no they're not just water. The active ingredients are the extracts from the flowers and i think the dilution is used to avoid toxic doses, and i imagine to dull the taste.

Flower essences and homeopathy are very different. I imagine a lot of conventional liquid medicines are diluted too. Look at the ingredients in a bottle of kids panadol... Not all active ingredients there.

From my limited understanding, Homeopathic remedies are extremely diluted, so much that the 'active' ingredient is not often able to be detected. The therapeutic benefit is meant to be from the 'life force' or something similar. I honestly can't get my head around it as to me it sounds a bit like 'the Vibe' (from the movie The Castle). But lots of ppl swear by it.
    According to Wikipedia, Bach flower remedies don't use flower extracts, they use the dew off flowers. As i said, I'm going by Wikipedia here so not pretending to be an expert, but that's a big difference. I don't have a problem with natural remedies so if I discovered Rescue Remedy was naturopathic i think I'd have a different opinion of it. But now I'm confused!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Bach flower remedies don't use flower extracts, they use the dew off flowers. As i said, I'm going by Wikipedia here so not pretending to be an expert, but that's a big difference. I don't have a problem with natural remedies so if I discovered Rescue Remedy was naturopathic i think I'd have a different opinion of it. But now I'm confused!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    I'm confused too :-)
    I never knew that about Bach remedies and i agree its a big difference! Sorry if i got it all wrong. I'll be learning about flower essences as part of my naturopathy degree but I'm not up to it yet.
    I don't have time to look into it today but I think I have a few textbooks on the garage that might help. Do you want me to let you know when I get around to checking it out?

OP sorry for derailing. When it comes to helping in labour, my theory is as long as you don't spend silly amounts of money, trust your instincts and give it a try. Also I agree with PP that essential oils can help. Even if all they do to help create a calm atmosphere, although some ppl might find they help with pain too. But start early, I can't imagine much would help when you're already in extreme pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Thanks for that. They recommend some in the book, including clary sage (once labour has started).

As I won't have access to drugs at home, I think I'll probably just buy everything. I'm a dream client of these homeopathic (likely) charlatans, lol.
    From my life experience seeing Homeopaths my entire life, they can work wonders. Please don't buy everything and then see how it goes. Homeopathics don't work like that! Please go to a health food shop and see if they have a Homeopath or someone to talk with? They will have more knowledge about which remedies are right for you. Not all remedies are suited to everyone. My remedy is pulsatilla, not Belladonna, for example. If you get that part right they can work wonders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    During my labour my doula gave me rescue remedy. It helped me relax. Burning lavender oil is fantastic as it really helped me relax and keep calm. She also burnt peppermint oil when I need the energy eg. When pushing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peasmum View Post
    From my limited understanding, Homeopathic remedies are extremely diluted, so much that the 'active' ingredient is not often able to be detected. The therapeutic benefit is meant to be from the 'life force' or something similar. I honestly can't get my head around it as to me it sounds a bit like 'the Vibe' (from the movie The Castle). But lots of ppl swear by it.
    Yes, homeopathic remedies are highly diluted, to the point that is is highly unlikely that there is even a single molecule of the original ingredient left. It works on the theory that the water used to dilute these ingredients retains some sort of 'memory' of what was once dissolved in it.
    Some remedies marketed as homeopathic actually are not, they contain larger amounts of 'active ingredients' than true homeopathic remedies. But they are usually still only trace amounts. The active ingredients used are often toxic in large amounts but within these remedies they are only very small amounts which are easily filtered out of your system. And since they are filtered out so easily I find it hard to believe they are actually having any effect on the body at all.
    As for studies on animals, many of them noted that placebo effects occurred in animals, and while you could argue that animals don't understand that they are being medicated and therefore wouldn't have a placebo effect, these studies tend to also show the same results in the control group (or simply don't use a control group at all) which basically invalidates the effects in the test group.
    I'm not going to pretend I've read every study ever conducted on the matter but I have yet to find one that I believe conclusively proves that homeopathy works. Most of the evidence suggests that it doesn't.

Sorry everyone for the long post.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (03-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Yes, homeopathic remedies are highly diluted, to the point that is is highly unlikely that there is even a single molecule of the original ingredient left. It works on the theory that the water used to dilute these ingredients retains some sort of 'memory' of what was once dissolved in it.
    Some remedies marketed as homeopathic actually are not, they contain larger amounts of 'active ingredients' than true homeopathic remedies. But they are usually still only trace amounts. The active ingredients used are often toxic in large amounts but within these remedies they are only very small amounts which are easily filtered out of your system. And since they are filtered out so easily I find it hard to believe they are actually having any effect on the body at all.
    As for studies on animals, many of them noted that placebo effects occurred in animals, and while you could argue that animals don't understand that they are being medicated and therefore wouldn't have a placebo effect, these studies tend to also show the same results in the control group (or simply don't use a control group at all) which basically invalidates the effects in the test group.
    I'm not going to pretend I've read every study ever conducted on the matter but I have yet to find one that I believe conclusively proves that homeopathy works. Most of the evidence suggests that it doesn't.

Sorry everyone for the long post.
    100% agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post

Aromatherapy works in a different way to homeopathy. There is the thought that inhaling works on certain parts of the brain to produce a specific response (though not a lot of research has been done in this area) and then there is topical and internal application. Internal application is not recommended in Australia. Externally, there are essential oils with known properties, like tea tree oil with it's strong anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. there isn't a lot of funding for research in this area and a lot of information about oils is based on old herbal remedies and the effects of an internal application of a tincture are ascribed to the external application of an oil- so not actually very accurate! For example, people rubbing peppermint oil on their abdomen to soothe an upset stomach will not see the results someone drinking a strong cup of peppermint tea might experience. peppermint oil rubbed on skin has no way to make it through layers of fat and muscle and lining into the stomach IYKWIM.
    If nothing else, aromatherapy "works" by smelling nice, which can be a diversion or something to focus on. In my book thats one up from homeopathy which does nothing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I view homeopathy as an energy based practice. Scientific study will therefore never prove or disprove its effectiveness. I always take a homeopathic kit to births, some women are open to it and others are not.