+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    If homeopathy is the treatment of like with like by using highly diluted preparations, what would you give someone in labour? I would have assumed you could only treat "conditions" or diseases with homeopathy (and that's arguably as their is no scientific proof of effectiveness).
    Well there is nothing quite like labour, lol..but you can definitely treat individual symptoms....pain, anxiety, fear, bleeding, etc

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    Well there is nothing quite like labour, lol..but you can definitely treat individual symptoms....pain, anxiety, fear, bleeding, etc
    But what with? If homeopathy is treating like with like, what do you treat pain with? Don't get me wrong, I am totally for non-medicinal forms of pain relief (if they are effective and pose no threat to mother or baby) but I just don't understand how you can treat like with like when it comes to pain etc with labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    arnica is good after the birth to help reduce bruising.
    arnica is great for brusing ..I used it after geeting my boobs done..had little to no bruising..also may have been luck though!!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have used rescue remedy without knowing it was homeopathic and it had a placebo effect on me. I don't believe in homeopathy. I think the hyland teething tablets work the same way as if i gave my baby a spoonful of sugar. They taste like lollies, of course babies like them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (28-05-2012),Maybelline  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I have used rescue remedy without knowing it was homeopathic and it had a placebo effect on me. I don't believe in homeopathy. I think the hyland teething tablets work the same way as if i gave my baby a spoonful of sugar. They taste like lollies, of course babies like them.

But sugar doesn't usually help babies sleep Bec, I am not sure which rememdy they use for labour pain I feel that way about homeopathic vaccination though too...I am not sure how it fits with how homeopathy works....

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are interested in Homeopathy, go and talk to a Homeopath. It is more complex than treating like with like etc. You will be assessed and given the correct remedy for you.

Buying over the counter remedies that you know nothing about will not help. Although arnica does seem to work for everyone when it come to treating bruises.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought rescue remedy was flower essence therapy, not homeopathic?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peasmum View Post
    I thought rescue remedy was flower essence therapy, not homeopathic?
    According to Wikipedia, it isn't homeopathic, for a few different reasons, two stated that it's not treating like with like, and the manufacture process is different. Interesting. It works on very similar principles, though- taking the dew from flowers and then diluting it with water. Sorry but to me that's just water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    According to Wikipedia, it isn't homeopathic, for a few different reasons, two stated that it's not treating like with like, and the manufacture process is different. Interesting. It works on very similar principles, though- taking the dew from flowers and then diluting it with water. Sorry but to me that's just water.

It's also alcohol, added as preservative. Lol

I have used rescue remedy and also flower essences mixed by my naturopath. Seemed to work for me, not sure if it was placebo or not. They aren't diluted nearly as much as homeopathy, so no they're not just water. The active ingredients are the extracts from the flowers and i think the dilution is used to avoid toxic doses, and i imagine to dull the taste.

Flower essences and homeopathy are very different. I imagine a lot of conventional liquid medicines are diluted too. Look at the ingredients in a bottle of kids panadol... Not all active ingredients there.

From my limited understanding, Homeopathic remedies are extremely diluted, so much that the 'active' ingredient is not often able to be detected. The therapeutic benefit is meant to be from the 'life force' or something similar. I honestly can't get my head around it as to me it sounds a bit like 'the Vibe' (from the movie The Castle). But lots of ppl swear by it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies. I am a bit dubious. I suppose the worst case scenario is that I waste money on the remedies.

If anybody is interested, the recommended ones in the book (obviously, subject to a homeopath's advice) are:

- Arnica (pain)
    - Aconite (fear)
    - Bellis Perrenis (pain, if Arnica not working)
    - Caullophyllum (ineffectual contractions - to promote productive contractions)
    - Gelsemium (ineffectual contractions if Caullophyllum doesn't help)
    - Kali Carb (back pain)
    - Kali Phos (exhaustion)
    - Pulsatilla (weepiness)

(from pp 150-151 of the Water Birth Book by Janet Balaskas)