+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    I am very curious about this!

So from my understanding is that the beads release oils into the skin to help with teething, etc so surely over time wouldnt the beads shrink? I mean if its releasing all this stuff the beads would have to get smaller as I cant imagine that the beads regenerate.

There have been a few pp here say that they have had these necklaces for years so have the beads shrunk at all?

Just curious....not trying to stir the pot at all!
    That's how they market it but it's not true- amber needs to be heated to well over 100 degrees to release anything at all. I guess the fact that they don't shrink backs this up
    The truth is, some say they work, others say they don't, some say it's coincidence, some say it works in a way as yet unmeasurable or unknown to science. What we know for sure is:
    - they are very pretty
    - they don't work how manufacturers claim they do
    - they only happen to "work" for some and no one can explain how or why
    - they cost about $30
    - they are considered a choking hazard by the manufacturers and govt health bodies so should only be worn under supervision
    Last edited by Atropos; 05-08-2012 at 21:20.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (06-08-2012),halloweendee  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This topic was raised with Dr Karl on Triple J the other day and he said there has been no real evidence they work. In saying that though I have friends who swear by them but we personally aren't going to waste our money

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyWirly View Post
    I will take it off at bed time to help minimise the safety hazards.
    For my dd (when she was small) I took it off her neck and wrapped it around her ankle for the first two nights she wore it ... After that I left it on and buttoned it in the top button of her grow suit.

Dd is 2 1/2 not worried at all about the choking hazard thing now ... She currently isn't wearing it her fave stuffed toy is ... We had to take it off for her X-ray in hospital when she swallowed a tiny button battery!!!!!! A bead is about 1/4 of size of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heaps of people I know swear by these so I thought I'd give it a go. No luck so far. I'm wondering if I have a genuine one after this thread though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://www.ambergallery.com/Is_it_re...al_amber_.html

If you want to find out if your amber is real or not.

I will state my personal experience like I did in the "other" thread I unsubbed from as it was going around in circles.
    I am a biochemist. A scientist at heart. My motto is and always has been, "seeing is believing".
    DS had a few teeth popping up with only about 2 weeks between them. Every time he was cranky, drooling, off his food, sooking, wanted boob boob boob and more boob. It was driving me nuts.
    I tried SM33 gel, Bauers teething relief, panadol, nurofen, painstop, you name it, I tried it.
    After ending up with very sore and raw nipples from the constant comfort feeding, I had enough. My best friend insisted on me trying a necklace. All this time I was laughing at her, telling her I don't believe on all the new age cr@p.
    Though, she kept telling me over and over and I told her that if she wanted to be proven wrong so badly, I was happy to oblige.
    I bought a necklace from Mumma Rocks on Facebook.
    He looked so very cute with that necklace, that I decided to keep it, regardless if it worked or not.
    A few hours after I put it on him, he woke from a 3 hour nap with a big smile. He hasn't had a 3 hour nap nor a smile for the last few weeks of teething, so this was unexpected.
    I never took it off as he was pretty young when I put it on him, he seemed to be oblivious to it. Amber also weighs hardly anything. I guess after all that time he got used to it too.
    After being used for 2,5 years, it is still going strong and he has since been teething without me even realizing. He would give me a big grin and I would suddenly notice he had his molars come through.

So I had to admit to my friend that she was right. I tried, saw and now believe. She was pretty smug, so I stopped talking to her for a week.

If you're worried about kids chewing on the necklace when in bed, put it around their ankle.

In cases like this, I always say "What's the harm in trying? If nothing else comes from it, it makes bubs look very cute".
    DS looked that cute, that I now got him a hazelwood necklace from Mumma Rocks. It makes him look like a real boy in a cute way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (06-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    http://www.ambergallery.com/Is_it_re...al_amber_.html

If you want to find out if your amber is real or not
    I'm so trying this tomorrow. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, GirlX. For looking up the succinate thing and posting a ref, and for correcting me re the crystal thing. It is indeed a fossilized resin. It is included in healing lore, and is most generally referenced under the title 'Crystals' because I suppose less people would see it's beauty if it was called a fossilised resin! But yes, technically it's not a crystal.

I suppose my main point was that there is more to these types of items than what they are made of, and one of the most important parts of amber healing lore is the potency of it's effects upon energy, and this is more likely the effect than the chemicals it's made from. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that's the theory. It is also considered a protective amulet, especially for children and those who look before they leap, as it fosters understanding and harmony with one's surrounds. I also think it's sad someone would serve to put people off with the succinate-release theory, if they had never heard of or considered the main reason why many use amber ~ it's energetic regulating abilities!

Thanks
    Reviews
    when Amber is worn next to the skin it is warm and it is reputed to release natural oils that can care for the skin
    Well that sounds nice but it's not true. The amber used in these necklaces is Baltic amber which is (as a PP said) not a crystal. It is a fossilised resin...which is completely different from the original amber oil used in Europe which was ambergris, a product from the Sperm Whale and obviously not used anymore....and totally different to Baltic Amber.

Baltic amber also does not naturally exude an oil. It can't due to its makeup. The ''oil'' is made through a process called destructive distillation and yields a substance that contains succinic acid but it does not have a pleasant aroma. It is for this reason it is not used in aromatherapy or perfumery.

Amber teething necklaces, like ear candling and the like are simply a con.

For safety reasons (apart from anything else) I would not use a teething necklace of any kind on my child.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (06-08-2012),SecretMumma  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the 'Crystal' designation for amber, DP tells me that during the fossilisation process, the original tree sap is replaced, or transformed, into a crystal structure. Therefore it is called a crystal for that reason! This is what DP says; if anyone wants to correct me here, please do!

Atropos ~ I suppose the makers of these necklaces have to come up with some justifications for their use, and maybe they think 'succinate release' sounds more appealing to the average punter than mentioning the rather flakey sounding energetic and magickal qualities! I agree that any chemicals released would be so miniscule as to be almost insignificant (hence why they don't 'shrink' while in use!), but this in no way detracts from the very significant energy-regulating capabilities amber possesses, that are very useful and powerful for individuals sensitive to these properties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ear candling is a con??
    Then whats all that wax doing there when i cut it open afterwards????