+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My friend uses one, and she said it made a difference. It bothers her greatly that she can't scientifically explain it, as she is a marine biologist.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Atropos ~ in the other Amber necklace thread you say anecdotal evidence is not real evidence, but then say you base your thoughts on these necklaces from not only studies you've looked up, but your 3 friends' experiences ~ is that not anecdotal evidence?

My partner is a crystal healer and says all sorts of tosh go around about crystals, and the succinate-release theory is possibly one of them. If you've seriously never heard of energetic theories to do with crystals, google crystal healing ~ there's some good and some really dodgy info out there, but good info and new ideas on this can be found on the net. The most prevalent use of crystals for healing is definitely NOT the release of contained chemicals into the skin by crystals worn, but the changing of one's energy field (Morphic Field Theory) by crystals introduced to the body's energy field. Hence the very scientifically-proven use of quartz regulating clocks as a metaphor for amber's regulation of the perception of teething pain.

A poster on the other thread mentioned that some drugs work for some and not others (in fact some medications have absolutely no effect on some genotypes at all ~ black african peoples have 40% less response to medications for caucasians), and the same goes for crystals. Some are extremely potent for some, the same crystal may do not a jot for others.

I don't want to see people ripped off over crystals, either. My partner has a policy of providing them at the cheapest possible price, and getting them to people who need them with good info on their uses without charging a fortune, as many crystal shops are want to do. I think Amber BeBe have a money back guarantee if you are unhappy with the necklace or the results of use.

I don't think it was in that thread you called me unscientific, I think it was this one! By the way, you are welcome to call me unscientific if you wish!
    I mentioned my friends opinions because it was implied that anecdotes were more favourable than evidence and I wanted to show there are anecdotes to the contrary.
    To clarify, I have heard of crystal healing just not in conjunction with amber teething necklaces. Also as a PP said amber isn't s crystal- its a resin. And all the explanations I've seen claim they work via the apparent release of succinic acid, which science has shown would not happen in this way. None of the manufacturers sites I've seen reference magickal energy or any of the things you've mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Earlier there was the same topic, I think it got a little heated and disappeared. My DS wears one, I'm still skeptical, although it seems to work I think it could be coincidence. We r living in Europe atm, and here they have been around for ages, and just about every baby I see is wearing one.
    I was scared about choking, but they are small so they can't really reach them, and they should be knotted each bead separately, so only one bead should fall off if they managed to break it.(which I must say i have not heard anyone say that they have had one break....yet!)
    Here they are purchased in chemists I had asked what would happen if a bead was swallowed and was told they are non toxic and no harm could be done( it would just be pooed out )
    They are super light and the beads are never cold so I don't think DS is aware that he is wearing it.
    Also you are supposed to take them off about once a month wash in soapy water and leave in the morning/evening sun for a couple hrs. They should come with an authenticity certificate that it is Baltic amber.
    A friends DD has stopped drooling completely since wearing the necklace, they are convinced that it is bc of the amber? Who knows!? Amber is just tree resin so I don't think it can do any harm!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    There's a difference between wrapping your kid in cotton wool and totally ignoring a government safety warning.
    - it only takes one shattered bead to create a dangerous situation.
    -
    The government give a lot of safety/health advice I'm sure you don't follow every single guideline either.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (05-08-2012),Elijahs Mum  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, did I miss something in my other thread? Bit dissapointed it got binned!

I understand that they haven't been scientifically proven to work and I am slightly sceptical but I am open minded and willing to try it. I bought one online and I will see how my 4mo DD2 goes with it, I'll then decide if they worked or not. I will take it off at bed time to help minimise the safety hazards.

My DD1 had no issues with teething aside from rosy cheeks and lotsa dribble. DD2 seems to be much more bothered by it. Can anyone scientifically explain that?

It's a bit of a shame that we all can't reply to the original question with our own experiences without other people trying to shoot it down. Especially the PP who mentioned that her young daughter felt that the necklace was helping her growing pains. Bottom line is she believes it did help her daughter, who cares how. She answered the question. She didn't post asking for others to dispute her experience.

I didn't realise this would be such a touchy topic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyWirly View Post
    Wow, did I miss something in my other thread? Bit dissapointed it got binned!

I understand that they haven't been scientifically proven to work and I am slightly sceptical but I am open minded and willing to try it. I bought one online and I will see how my 4mo DD2 goes with it, I'll then decide if they worked or not. I will take it off at bed time to help minimise the safety hazards.

My DD1 had no issues with teething aside from rosy cheeks and lotsa dribble. DD2 seems to be much more bothered by it. Can anyone scientifically explain that?

It's a bit of a shame that we all can't reply to the original question with our own experiences without other people trying to shoot it down. Especially the PP who mentioned that her young daughter felt that the necklace was helping her growing pains. Bottom line is she believes it did help her daughter, who cares how. She answered the question. She didn't post asking for others to dispute her experience.

I didn't realise this would be such a touchy topic!
    That's the nature of discussion- you'll always have opposing views expressed. I think it's a good thing- it shows various aspects of a topic that may help future readers to do their own research.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i am very open minded but also a scientist at heart.
    having studied geology i couldn't see how the body's temperature would be anywhere near high enough to 'release' amber into the skin, let alone the blood******. but i bought a top quality amber necklace for my baby girl.

let's just say it looks really pretty....
    i have tried just about every experiment to see if there is any difference and no, there isn't. but like most placebo therapies i think it is always worth a try, and if you think it will work (and it 'does') then great!
    some people laugh at me when i tell them rescue remedy helped me have a drug free labour. but I believed it would work, and it did. at the time i didn't really care WHY

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    i am very open minded but also a scientist at heart.
    having studied geology i couldn't see how the body's temperature would be anywhere near high enough to 'release' amber into the skin, let alone the blood******. but i bought a top quality amber necklace for my baby girl.

let's just say it looks really pretty....
    i have tried just about every experiment to see if there is any difference and no, there isn't. but like most placebo therapies i think it is always worth a try, and if you think it will work (and it 'does') then great!
    some people laugh at me when i tell them rescue remedy helped me have a drug free labour. but I believed it would work, and it did. at the time i didn't really care WHY
    Yeah see that's totally fine- its the pseudo science rubbish that manufacturers put out to scam desperate parents that really gets my goat. If they just said "some people find them beneficial for teething and we have no idea why, but either way, they are super pretty!" instead of making up easily disproven explanations, sure they might sell less but at least it would be honest!
    Rescue remedy isn't my thing but there is much to be said for the placebo effect and if it "worked" for you then that's great!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 was a terrible teether so we were willing to try anything with ds2. A friend recommended the amber teething necklace, ds2 has had it on since he was 2 weeks old. It isn't long enough for him to chew on and has never come off, he wears it 24/7. We have not even known he was teething at all so I believe in the properties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am very curious about this!

So from my understanding is that the beads release oils into the skin to help with teething, etc so surely over time wouldnt the beads shrink? I mean if its releasing all this stuff the beads would have to get smaller as I cant imagine that the beads regenerate.

There have been a few pp here say that they have had these necklaces for years so have the beads shrunk at all?

Just curious....not trying to stir the pot at all!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (05-08-2012)