+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    What is the theory behind it? We're pretty sure DD is getting her first teeth at the moment and nights are getting really tough. Poor thing seems really irritated and keeps rubbing her face, tugging her ears and grabbing her bottom gum. DH and I talked about amber beads yesterday but neither of us knew how they're supposed to help. Given your profession I'm guessing you think they're useless but times will get desperate if this goes on much longer!!!
    Cue, I think, and someone correct mr if I'm wrong, the amber acts as a natural analgesic and absorbs through the skin.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

Cue  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    What is the theory behind it? We're pretty sure DD is getting her first teeth at the moment and nights are getting really tough. Poor thing seems really irritated and keeps rubbing her face, tugging her ears and grabbing her bottom gum. DH and I talked about amber beads yesterday but neither of us knew how they're supposed to help. Given your profession I'm guessing you think they're useless but times will get desperate if this goes on much longer!!!
    They release a natural analgesic (succinic acid) when worn that is absorbed through the skin.

With DD1 I didn't try them until about 15 months, when she started getting her molars. She cried all the time coz she was in pain. I got a necklace thinking it can't hurt to try, and by the end of the day she had stopped fussing and crying. Even DF who wasn't convinced a necklace could work stood corrected. It did work and 2 weeks later I discovered that the dreaded molars had cut through.

I personally wear amber (still need to get a new one actually!) to help with migraines. When wearing amber I do t get headaches and migraines!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    They release a natural analgesic (succinic acid) when worn that is absorbed through the skin.

With DD1 I didn't try them until about 15 months, when she started getting her molars. She cried all the time coz she was in pain. I got a necklace thinking it can't hurt to try, and by the end of the day she had stopped fussing and crying. Even DF who wasn't convinced a necklace could work stood corrected. It did work and 2 weeks later I discovered that the dreaded molars had cut through.

I personally wear amber (still need to get a new one actually!) to help with migraines. When wearing amber I do t get headaches and migraines!
    Bell & bug - I hadn't even considered it for my headaches which are usually tension or pre menstrual. Great idea! Thank you! Where did you get yours?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzabee View Post
    Bell & bug - I hadn't even considered it for my headaches which are usually tension or pre menstrual. Great idea! Thank you! Where did you get yours?
    I highly recommend www.allaboutamber.com.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you!! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I bought one and it didn't work at all .. the idea behind them is they release an oil that is absorbed into the skin which helps. I have read some blogs in favour and others not. Personally I don't believe they work or that the science behind it makes any sense but I will try anything once and you don't have anything to lose except a bit of cash.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours worked a treat.... I think a lot of the time parents attribute a lot of undesirable behaviors as teething related and are disheartened when the amber necklace doesn't solve them, when in fact sometimes kids are just grumpy cantankerous and emotional because, well, their kids!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    Ours worked a treat.... I think a lot of the time parents attribute a lot of undesirable behaviors as teething related and are disheartened when the amber necklace doesn't solve them, when in fact sometimes kids are just grumpy cantankerous and emotional because, well, their kids!
    True .. and I think some parents falsely attribute improvements in their childrens health to various natural therapies when it can very well be coincidence or perhaps because the parent is calmer when they beleive something works, which soothes the child. Just another perspective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just ordered a baby teething toy which came with a free bracelet for B and a necklace for myself. When they arrive I'll give them a go and report back! I got the one for headaches, stress and skin inflammation etc. also apparently will make me less ratty so if I'm not a grumpy cow anymore I'll let you all know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    True .. and I think some parents falsely attribute improvements in their childrens health to various natural therapies when it can very well be coincidence or perhaps because the parent is calmer when they beleive something works, which soothes the child. Just another perspective.

Amber has to be heated to a very high temperature to release anything- I researched these a while back. There is absolutely no science to back them up, but they do look cute on. I wouldn't personally let a bub sleep in one though (many people do) for safety reasons. It's true that they don't actually do anything else though- they aren't an analgesic per se and they don't release oils etc. I agree with bumMum - coincidence and cam parenting! And if a necklace makes you feel calmer then by all means- there no harm in it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (26-05-2012)