+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,244
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    What is the theory behind it? We're pretty sure DD is getting her first teeth at the moment and nights are getting really tough. Poor thing seems really irritated and keeps rubbing her face, tugging her ears and grabbing her bottom gum. DH and I talked about amber beads yesterday but neither of us knew how they're supposed to help. Given your profession I'm guessing you think they're useless but times will get desperate if this goes on much longer!!!
    Cue, I think, and someone correct mr if I'm wrong, the amber acts as a natural analgesic and absorbs through the skin.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

    Cue  (26-05-2012)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    14,057
    Thanks
    1,875
    Thanked
    2,608
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    What is the theory behind it? We're pretty sure DD is getting her first teeth at the moment and nights are getting really tough. Poor thing seems really irritated and keeps rubbing her face, tugging her ears and grabbing her bottom gum. DH and I talked about amber beads yesterday but neither of us knew how they're supposed to help. Given your profession I'm guessing you think they're useless but times will get desperate if this goes on much longer!!!
    They release a natural analgesic (succinic acid) when worn that is absorbed through the skin.

    With DD1 I didn't try them until about 15 months, when she started getting her molars. She cried all the time coz she was in pain. I got a necklace thinking it can't hurt to try, and by the end of the day she had stopped fussing and crying. Even DF who wasn't convinced a necklace could work stood corrected. It did work and 2 weeks later I discovered that the dreaded molars had cut through.

    I personally wear amber (still need to get a new one actually!) to help with migraines. When wearing amber I do t get headaches and migraines!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

    Cue  (26-05-2012)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,244
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    They release a natural analgesic (succinic acid) when worn that is absorbed through the skin.

    With DD1 I didn't try them until about 15 months, when she started getting her molars. She cried all the time coz she was in pain. I got a necklace thinking it can't hurt to try, and by the end of the day she had stopped fussing and crying. Even DF who wasn't convinced a necklace could work stood corrected. It did work and 2 weeks later I discovered that the dreaded molars had cut through.

    I personally wear amber (still need to get a new one actually!) to help with migraines. When wearing amber I do t get headaches and migraines!
    Bell & bug - I hadn't even considered it for my headaches which are usually tension or pre menstrual. Great idea! Thank you! Where did you get yours?

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    14,057
    Thanks
    1,875
    Thanked
    2,608
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzabee View Post
    Bell & bug - I hadn't even considered it for my headaches which are usually tension or pre menstrual. Great idea! Thank you! Where did you get yours?
    I highly recommend www.allaboutamber.com.au

  7. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,244
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you!! x

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked
    1,168
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I bought one and it didn't work at all .. the idea behind them is they release an oil that is absorbed into the skin which helps. I have read some blogs in favour and others not. Personally I don't believe they work or that the science behind it makes any sense but I will try anything once and you don't have anything to lose except a bit of cash.

    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

  9. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    833
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked
    420
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ours worked a treat.... I think a lot of the time parents attribute a lot of undesirable behaviors as teething related and are disheartened when the amber necklace doesn't solve them, when in fact sometimes kids are just grumpy cantankerous and emotional because, well, their kids!

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked
    1,168
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    Ours worked a treat.... I think a lot of the time parents attribute a lot of undesirable behaviors as teething related and are disheartened when the amber necklace doesn't solve them, when in fact sometimes kids are just grumpy cantankerous and emotional because, well, their kids!
    True .. and I think some parents falsely attribute improvements in their childrens health to various natural therapies when it can very well be coincidence or perhaps because the parent is calmer when they beleive something works, which soothes the child. Just another perspective.

    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

  11. #19
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,244
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just ordered a baby teething toy which came with a free bracelet for B and a necklace for myself. When they arrive I'll give them a go and report back! I got the one for headaches, stress and skin inflammation etc. also apparently will make me less ratty so if I'm not a grumpy cow anymore I'll let you all know!

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    True .. and I think some parents falsely attribute improvements in their childrens health to various natural therapies when it can very well be coincidence or perhaps because the parent is calmer when they beleive something works, which soothes the child. Just another perspective.

    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    Amber has to be heated to a very high temperature to release anything- I researched these a while back. There is absolutely no science to back them up, but they do look cute on. I wouldn't personally let a bub sleep in one though (many people do) for safety reasons. It's true that they don't actually do anything else though- they aren't an analgesic per se and they don't release oils etc. I agree with bumMum - coincidence and cam parenting! And if a necklace makes you feel calmer then by all means- there no harm in it.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    bumMum  (26-05-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. amber teething necklaces??
    By MyLittleLilacTree in forum Teeth & Teething
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2012, 13:20
  2. Amber teething necklaces
    By our4boys in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 26-01-2012, 06:46
  3. Teething necklaces??
    By jennibear in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-01-2012, 06:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Baby U & The Wiggles - Toilet Training Products
Toilet training can be a testing time but Baby U is there to assist you and your toddler with the daunting task of toilet training. With a range of products that can be used at home, on holidays or out & about.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!