+ Reply to Thread
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Question Possibily considering letting a student midwife/doula follow my pregnancy..

DH and I aren't still 100% sure but we considering letting a nearly qualified student midwife/doula follow my pregnancy.

I am having bub at the Mercy Hieldelberg - currently 17wk and due in November. So far all has been smooth sailing, apparenlty I am currently classed low risk but I have a BMI of 44 so they are keeping a close eye on me.

We aren't looking for someone for extra support for us so much and giving someone an opportunity to advance their studies/training/experience. DH and I are rather reserved ppl, we didn't want a heap of ppl at the birth or in bubs life for the first few days but are coming around to the idea of an extra person if it will be useful for them. But we would need that person to be understanding and respectful of our privacy.

So a bit of background about us to see if you think you may be the right fit?

I would have loved to have birthed at the birth centre, but given my BMI it was not possible. HB was not something I was comfortale with, so I am happy to be at the Mercy but would very much prefer a intervention, spontaseous labour. I am studying hypnobabies as a tool to help during labour and we are planning on delay cord clamping. I have hired a doula to make placenta calpsules for me (she will collect placenta from hospy and return tablets). Aside from that not much else planned - we arehappy to go with it and see what happens. Oh I won't be consenting to Hep B shot and have not decided about Vit K yet.

My sister will be as my and hubbys main support - she is a midwife at the Mercy and studying to be a MCHN. For this reason I think it may be good for a student mid/doula - there may be some good knowledge she can pass on?

So anyway, like I said we are not 100% sure but open to the idea and I kinda figure if its meant to be hte right person will come along.

So if you are interested, pls let me know.

Cheers
    Button
    xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a midwifery follow through student during my pregnancy and birth of DS. I viewed it as an opportunity to help a student get as much exposure as possible so they'd be an awesome midwife when they graduate.
    She was a valuable resource for me also (she'd had 3 bubs) and was great during the birth. It was her first private patient/hospital experience and was totally different to other births she'd seen. She wasn't in the way at all and both DH and I felt 100% comfortable to have her there. My doc took a little convincing, i had to ask him a few times to make sure he was teaching her things also during appts etc (i'm an RN but not a MW).
    DH and I pretty much viewed it as her learning experience, not our support person.
    Good luck, you'll know if they're the right person.
    If nurses, midwives, doctors etc aren't given the opportunities to learn, then God help us all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    bumpity bump

DH and I still haven't decided, hopefully we will work it out by end of week but just want to give everyone who is interested a chance to contact me.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you tried contacting your local uni Hun?

Thanks
    Reviews
    nah i haven't yet.

thought I would start here and see if anyone pops up.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default First Year Bmidder!

Hi Buttons,
    I'm currently studying my first year of Midwifery at ACU! I still have so much to learn, and firstly; good on you for considering this! It is so hard to find women who are open and generally intrested in getting experience from the program. I've only just moved to Melbourne this year (from the country) and so am really struggling with the idea of finding women. If you would like any information on the program we participate in at ACU feel free to ask. I am only first year though, so I will be very much learning from every experience.

Thanks, M.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Buttons

I am a third year midwifery student and will finish at the end of the year. I have done all my placement at the Mercy and just finished my first round of birth suite there and will start again in Aug. I was recently involved in a similar birth you are describing. It was beautiful, natural and I felt privileged to be apart of it. So with the right support you can totally get there. I think I could be a good little addition to your support network and it will be a great learning opportunity with the plan you have in place.
    Let me know
    Soph24

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry guys have completely dropt the ball on this - wil talk to hubby over weekend. thatnks for the interest, i feel so spec!

Thanks
    Reviews
    any doulas or nearly grads in redland bay area interested in this??