+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ttc shopping???

Hi everyone,
    now this may sound a little crazy but my df and i will be ttc mid july and just wondering if i should be starting to stock up on certain items now (eg nappies , ipes etc) whilst i am still woking full time ?? or anything else i should be doing..... this will be our first so any advice would be muchly appreciated !!!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say that it is a little crazy, but it is understandable to be excited. Rather than stock up on baby items, put money aside for the future things you can buy. TTc can take time and things can happen that might leave you wishing the baby things were not in your face. It takes many people months and years of ttc to get that bfp. Hold off till after 12 wks pregnant if you can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    definitely wait until you are pregnant, you'll still have lots of time to stock up on those things.

The ttc journey can be long or short and have some ups and downs.

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would (am I mean I would personally do this myself) wait till you are past 12 weeks pregnant and start stocking up then.

It took me both times (with my son and this bub) 6 months to conceive and I have had 2 mc and 1 still born. So TTC doesn't really grantee that you will fall pregnant straight away (although you might be lucky) and it doesn't grantee that you will make it past 12 weeks (although again you might be lucky).

Good luck and I hope you have a short TTC journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another idea is to buy a gift card for Coles Myer or woolworths each week or whenever you have some spare cash and put them aside until you need them? Then you can use them at the supermarket for weekly supplies or target, big w, Coles, kmart, or similar to get clothes, bedding or whatever else you need.

Just remember that they are only valid for 12 months usually.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Purpz  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    You'll have plenty of time when you're pregnant to stock up, there are always lots of sales I do like the idea of vouchers though! Maybe you could cook up some meals to freeze, that first 12 weeks are pretty exhausting, you'll find that you'll come home from work and go straight to bed some days.

There's no reason why you can't window shop though - spend this time doing lots of research on what items you want (car seats, strollers, carriers etc) so when you do fall pregnant you'll know what you want and how much you're happy to pay.

Best of luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

aquarius24  (27-05-2012)

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethylou78 View Post
    I would say that it is a little crazy, but it is understandable to be excited. Rather than stock up on baby items, put money aside for the future things you can buy. TTc can take time and things can happen that might leave you wishing the baby things were not in your face. It takes many people months and years of ttc to get that bfp. Hold off till after 12 wks pregnant if you can.
    I agree with this

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would put money into a special baby bank account now while you are working then use it to buy things when you are pregnant.

Although 10 months feels like forever when you are actually pregnant it does go fast. I only have 5 weeks left of work and i have only bought a stroller and some second hand baby clothes and wraps. Wishing I had saved a little more beforehand (i got pregnant straight away and thought i had at least 12 months of trying ahead - plenty of time save lots of $) . Unfortunately my last couple of pays are all going to be spent on the things i still need to get.

BTW i have always been a super organised person and a fairly good saver (i work in finance) but baby brain has hit me for 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The thing to do now is save, save, save. Buying nappies/wipes/etc might seem like a good idea, but you might buy heaps of a particular brand/type then find out when bubs arrives that they don't suit your baby for one reason or another. Put your energy into being healthy and saving lots of money. Try & live with as little as your wage as possible, putting the rest into savings. It's amazing how much you can save if you try really hard. Then you can buy things when you actually need them.

When I was TTC I did buy special clothes for bubs though. I'd search ebay and if a really nice outfit was there for a good price I would buy it. BUT, I was *really* fussy and only bought a handful of clothes that I adored. Not knowing the gender of my bubs or when bubs would arrive during the year & how quickly they will grow limits the options for buying clothes too. Having said that I did end up with some lovely Humphrie's Corner outfits for my ds & my dd that way ... even if the girls clothes had to sit in a cupboard for well over 5 years awaiting her arrival (in retrospect a waste of space!).

All the best for TTC!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, definitely agree. I was struggling with the same choice, and decided that saving the money instead was a smarter move. Especially because if you buy wipes, they might dry out or go manky. Same goes with any baby products like shampoo etc.

You could buy muslin wraps and the like, but do you want to find out if you're having a boy or girl so that you can choose colours? If so, what happens if you buy a heap of pink and find out you're having blue, or the other way around.
    I think saving money is the best move. That way you will have more options, and you're not spending heaps of money on things that your bub may or may not fit/like.