+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes. One of my besties is getting married at the end of July. The only kids she invited were her two nieces. My best friend's son is a page boy and is only attending the ceremony and photos than will be going home. Her future sil is upset she can't bring her 3 younger children because she can't find a baby sitter (they are 12,15 and 18!) and it's actually her dp who didn't want his nephews there
    We are allowed to bring our dd2 as she is due mid July so will be a newborn and I'll be bf. but dd is staying home

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I wouldn't go , but only because I don't like leaving the kids which is my own issue not the bride and grooms , I think people have every right to say no kids , at the end of the day weddings are costly and it's their money , but on the other hand I also think its the prerogative of the parents to say no we don't wish to come without our children and the couple needs to understand that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    Surely they can make an exception for you? This is an understandable circumstance

mummy to gods gift to us
    They suggested to us that their 14 year old niece (who we haven't seen since she was 3) could babysit for us I think if I pushed the point I could probably take DD, but I don't want to do that. It's their wedding and if they really don't want kids they shouldn't be forced to have them, plus the groom has 4 young nieces and nephews who are also not going and I would hate to upset their mother if she wanted to take them and couldn't.

Luckily for us, we have family that contacted us over the weekend and offered to drive down for the night of the wedding to look after DD. We ate feeling pretty special and very grateful ATM

So to answer OP, yep we would attend a wedding without DD (even if it's a massive inconvenience!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. Dp's sister is getting married in Sept and they've said no kids (under 14) which is fine. Bit of a pain the a** but obviously we'll still go but they know we won't be making it a late night or a boozy one either just because our boys won't be there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely. Just because I have a child doesn't mean everyone around me needs to accommodate her. If I have to miss out on some events that's just part of the gig.

We said no kids at our wedding. We didn't have kids then and we don't have any nieces or nephews. Some of DHs extended family got all funny about it and actually had a go at us a few times but we held firm. The reception was not kid-friendly at all (it was in a restaurant/bar in the city) and we struggled to find a venue we liked that could accommodate all of DHs family that just 'had' to be invited let alone all the kids his cousins have! Inviting kids would have added about 20 or so people and we wouldn't have been able to fit in or afford the kind of place we wanted.

We completely understood if people couldn't come because of their kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends. We had a wedding which was my cousins and 1.5hrs away and she said no children so we didnt go purely because there are only 2 kids on our side of the family and both didnt get invited but her parners side had 5 and they all got invited. It would also be differebt if the wedding was close instead od an overnight trip. I didnt want to be 37weeks pregnant and away from my son and 1.5hrs or so away from the hospital. I think with family it is different. If it were a friends wedding i would definately still go without children as I wouldnt expect them to be invited!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    My view is, the bride and groom have every right to say no children at their wedding. But they don't have the right to get upset if someone doesn't come because they can't bring their child(ren).
    I agree. No doubt there's some out there who pull the "my day" nonsense but if somebody has a breastfed baby, several young children or have nobody reliable to care for the children (or their babysitter has pulled out because they are unwell) they have to understand it's not possible for everybody to attend.

Adding: I prefer going to things like this without DS. He's exciteable at the best of times. BUT if I can't organise care, I can't go. Don't get upset.
    Last edited by Benji; 28-05-2012 at 10:04. Reason: added

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reluctantly, yes. In fact, DF and I are going to one in Sydney in a few months (we live in Melbourne) and then again to another in October..my brothers!

It kinda p!sses me off, because my brothers fiance is allowed to have her half brother who goes and kicks everyone and says awful things 3 year old, but we can't take our well behaved 1 year old (I'm not being biased, she's very good and quiet/mellow. No idea where she gets it from )

But, of course, FSIL she gets whatever she wants

But, other than those two instances, yes I would go. I suppose it would be a nice night off from DD and parental duties so to speak. But of course, there's always the sitter problem

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If i had babysitters, yes.
    The last 'no kids' wedding i was invited to i couldn't attend as i had no-one to watch my kids (my usual babysitters are family who were attending the wedding themselves).
    I'd prefer not to take my kids, trying to entertain 2 kids during a long wedding sounds like no fun to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have plenty of babysitters available so yes I'd definitely go. I don't take DS out for late nights anyway, it's not worth the hassle for us all. I wouldn't go if I had to travel and leave him longer than overnight though.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub