+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I found a lump... should I see GP now or wait????

Hi all
    Last night I found a lump in my right breast. I can feel it when I hold my arm up straight. Its actually on the very outside of my breast (towards my underarm) and is hard and the size of a small pea. My DH said that he thought he read somewhere that if you find a lump you should wait a week before going to the GP as it could be hormonal or some other non urgent reason and may disappear on its own.
    Has anyone else heard this? What would you do? Go to GP now or wait??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It couldn't hurt to go if you're worried about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No way would I wait. I'd go to the doctor ASAP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you should go now. You will probably be referred for an ultrasound if the doctor can't tell if it's a cyst or something and that could take a week to organise.

I hope it's nothing sinister (which I'm sure it's not)

Thanks
    Reviews
    TBH your husband is right. You can find them at different stages of your cycle due to changes in the breast tissue around when your period is due. I freaked out a few months ago thinking i had something serious because i found a small pea sized lump a couple of days before AF was due, it went away on it's own. I spoke to my GP about it and she said to wait a couple of days and if it's still there or has changed at all to go and see them straight away.

If your worried go to your gp and get it checked, don't ignore it what ever you do.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    the sooner it is investigated the better, If it is something, you have to act quickly with treatments, or further checks. I would not wait. marie

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not one to rush off to the doctors but if I found a lump in my breast I'd be heading off ASAP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it painful or anything? Any other changes to your boobs/nipples? are you pregnant or had a baby recently?

I had a little (smaller than a pea) hard lump about 2cm from my nipple. I monitored it for a little while but when I told my mum about it, she made me get it looked at. An ultrasound revealed it was jut a little lump of hardened fatty tissue. It's gone now :-)

It's always a good idea to get it checked out, just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't hurt to get it checked out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly View Post
    Is it painful or anything? Any other changes to your boobs/nipples? are you pregnant or had a baby recently?
    Its not painful (although a bit sore now cos I keep poking it!!). No other changes to my breasts. I am pretty sure Im not pregnant and I finished breast feeding 5 months ago.

Thanks for your advise everyone. These things always happen on the weekend!! I think I will see how if goes over the weekend and if it is still there on Monday I will make an appointment. Never had a lump before so Im a bit nervous but no use worrying until there is something to worry about .....right??