+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    This is it exactly!

Addicts of illegal drugs are given so much support and subsidised medications to help battle their addiction yet smokers addicted to a LEGAL substance have to pay big dollars for medications that may help them quit all because the government makes so much money on taxing cigarettes.

Yes I am a smoker, but I am also a considerate smoker and think if they want to keep banning it everywhere they should simply outlaw smoking altogether and help people fight the habit. It was cost me more for niccobate products than it does a packet of smokes and this is one of the main reasons I haven't quit as I don't have the will power to simply do it cold turkey.
    Yeah - at the end of the day smoking is a really difficult thing to give up -you can't just ban it, if you want people to quit then they have to stop selling it and they have to help people overcome it.

This is from an article in the NY timesInterdisciplinary research in pharmacology, psychology, physiology and neurobiology is just beginning to shed light on the incredible hold that tobacco has on people. Scientists have found, for instance, that nicotine is as addictive as heroin, cocaine or amphetamines, and for most people more addictive than alcohol. Its hooks go deep, involving complex physiological and psychological mechanisms that drive and maintain smoking behavior and that even produce some ''good'' effects, such as improved performance on intellectual, computational and stressful tasks.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/29/ma...ted=all&src=pm

Very interesting reading - and it shows clearly - that you cannot just ban it and expect people to follow the new rules, we need to help people overcome the addiction and until that is in place, then really - none of it is going to help.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-05-2012),singlemumma82  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In nsw any complex with more than 3 dwellings must have a body corporate ( villas:townhouses: units) there are set rules plus they can make up their own if majority agree like pets, noise etc ( as long as they don't break any anti discrimination laws)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I don't agree, my hubby used to work in St Vincent's in Paddington - come the weekend the place went insane and most of it could be contributed to alcohol fuelled violence and alcohol poisonings. We lived in City of Sydney council area and the police would be out in force friday and saturday nights- it is absolutely crazy what goes on in areas where they have 24 hour pubs.
    That's not what I was saying (or trying to say ). I meant if my neighbour was having a few wines on her balcony I wouldn't know unless I went out and looked. If she was smoking and my windows were open, I'd know.

If my neighbours were being rowdy and violent, then that's the issue. Them drinking isn't what would be breeching body corp, the drunken behaviour would be though.

I'd like air pollution to be treated the same as noise pollution is in most complexes, that extends to bonfires etc...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I don't agree, my hubby used to work in St Vincent's in Paddington - come the weekend the place went insane and most of it could be contributed to alcohol fuelled violence and alcohol poisonings. We lived in City of Sydney council area and the police would be out in force friday and saturday nights- it is absolutely crazy what goes on in areas where they have 24 hour pubs.

Having lived in this area too, it can get very scary on a weekend even just walking down a Darlighurst street. My SIL works at Vinnies too and we hear some horror stories about alcohol related violence and injury. Makes you shudder!

As for the selfish thing. It depends, you aren't saying what you did that was selfish - did you smoke a pack a week or two packs a day? It really depends. I smoke about a pack every 3 or 4 months. An absolute social smoker only when I go out with the girls, only in the pub beer garden. I feel that is my choice to make - I quite like it, but then again - I'm not addicted either so I don't feel any kind of attachment to it other than I think its a bit of fun on a night out.
    I think that being an occasional smoker may be a little different to a pack a day or a regular smoker. In the OP I am sure the concerns for smoking on balconies are probably caused by people (such as I was) who might sit outside and smoke 10 cigarettes after work. If I had been my old neighbour I would have hated it!! If I had been more conscious of how my smokin annoyed others, or had my building banned it I might have quit earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Hmmm thanks to those that responded. We lived in a group of 4 units, all owned by the same person and we never signed a BC type lease, just your garden variety one. Maybe bc he owned them all?

As a smoker... believe it or not I would like to see smoking banned full stop. I'm tried of having my addiction preyed on by the govt and smoking 4-5 ciggies a day my chance of cancer is probably pretty low in comparison to a pack a day so my taxes will go to general revenue. I also wouldn't have to partake in a passtime that is legal yet I have zero rights...

I'm so glad I live on an acre block in the bush

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

I'd like air pollution to be treated the same as noise pollution is in most complexes, that extends to bonfires etc...
    But like noise pollution, there are levels of air pollution. There are certain restrictions about.decibels and hours of the day etc. How would you set that up with air pollution? Should my DP not be allowed to have a smoke on our balcony maybe once or twice a week? Is that the same as someone who sits out there and feeds their 2 pack a day habit regardless of who else has their windows open or is on their own balcony? I don't see why smoking can't come under some more broad rule about quiet and reasonable enjoyment of your property, so something can be done about people who are really making life difficult for others, instead if just making it a witchhunt against anyone who lights up a smoke (or has a guest who does so)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    actually you are right.

Control crying is bad for my health..as if i hear it , it cause me to sweat and have heart palpitations.
    Sorry for going OT but how would you know you are hearing controlled crying from next door? DS cries a lot, sometimes for an hour when being cuddled to sleep or when teething or sick, but has never ever been CC'd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    That's not what I was saying (or trying to say ). I meant if my neighbour was having a few wines on her balcony I wouldn't know unless I went out and looked. If she was smoking and my windows were open, I'd know.

If my neighbours were being rowdy and violent, then that's the issue. Them drinking isn't what would be breeching body corp, the drunken behaviour would be though.

Doh - sorry!! I misinterpreted what you meant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No! You want to make it illegal then make it illegal stop stuffing around with it.
    Should we ban it from people who smoke in townhouse (out the back) what about backyards? Smoke can drift.
    People need to go outside to smoke maybe because they don't want to smoke around their kids or other people.
    If your so sick of smokers rally the govenement to make it illegal.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-05-2012),delirium  (26-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (26-05-2012),mrsdj1234  (26-05-2012),singlemumma82  (26-05-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to be a smoker. For many years. And one thing I hate with a passion (because I'm always fighting going back to it!) is dealing with other people's cigarette smoke. Yep. I'm one of THOSE. A reformed smoker. The very worst. I used to pollute everyone else's air, and now I demand clean air for myself.
    I'm not going to say that I tried to make non-smokers lives easier by keeping it away from them. I was young, stupid, and self-entitled.

Now I know better.

If anyone can give me one VALID reason as to why a smoker has more right to pollute the air than I have to breath clean air, I'll change my views in a heartbeat.

If I lived in a body corporate and was asked to vote on the subject, for me it would be a resounding 'no smoking' vote.
    It might sound preachy but that's just the way I feel. Smokers are smokers. That's their problem. It shouldn't be mine.
    (If only I'd come to that conclusion ages ago, I'd have about $30k in the bank that I wouldn't have wasted on ciggies! Lmao).

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Bethylou78  (26-05-2012),share a book  (26-05-2012),Tamtam  (26-05-2012)