+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Not every smoker is selfish and their habit making them anti social though Bethy. Some of us are actually very aware and take great lengths to not have others effected by our smoking. I don't smoke in public, I don't smoke around others. I don't smoke in the car. I certainly don't smoke around my kids.
    Not all smokers are as unthinking as I was, I agree. But I do feel that continuing to smoke can be selfish. I don't know you or anything about your situation and really can only judge myself as the smoker I was. I know about both the health issues and money that smoking cost me, I feel that knowingly doing this for 15 years was VERY selfish. Selfish to my family and my pocket. I knew smoking kills, I've lost people I loved dearly and that I contained to do so was selfish and very anti social towards my family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Does every unit complex have a body corporate? I only rented never owned a unit so never knew the in's and outs of how it worked.

and the fighting may be against BC rules but they would be evicted based on that, not on the drinking itself. but what if BC banned any consuming of alcohol due to possible noise/health/safety issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does every unit complex have a body corporate? I only rented never owned a unit so never knew the in's and outs of how it worked.

and the fighting may be against BC rules but they would be evicted based on that, not on the drinking itself. but what if BC banned any consuming of alcohol due to possible noise/health/safety issues?
    I'd be happy with that. We don't drink, neither do a lot of our neighbours.

But I don't think drinking has a direct result like smoking does, drinking doesn't necessarily result in noise or health issues for other people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes. As I understand it any strata titled living with units/townhouse/villas/apartments etc have to. Especially when it comes to 'common property' within the land.
    I've lived in quite a few as an owner and renter.

Also, pretty much anything that occurs within the land, including your own home and common property is governed by the by laws. Noise pollution will be a by law in many so drunk yelling/fighting behavior contravenes the by laws and residents are well within their rights to complain. BC have 14 days to take action and rectify the situation or they can be reported for not 'governing' the property.

Thanks
    Reviews

Not every unit complex has a BC. Those that do set their own rules, so
    I guess they can set whatever rules got the majority vote?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I don't know if every complex has a body corporate but i rent and along with my lease came a copy of the strata by- laws.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should say that I live in QLD and it is in my state. All community living schemes have body corporates. I think also NSW. Not entirely sure about other states.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    No, as a NON smoker I say how ****ing odd an idea :s its THEIR home, how about we just make the sh!t illegal already and give the same help to quit to smokers as we do ILLEGAL drug users!
    This is it exactly!

Addicts of illegal drugs are given so much support and subsidised medications to help battle their addiction yet smokers addicted to a LEGAL substance have to pay big dollars for medications that may help them quit all because the government makes so much money on taxing cigarettes.

Yes I am a smoker, but I am also a considerate smoker and think if they want to keep banning it everywhere they should simply outlaw smoking altogether and help people fight the habit. It was cost me more for niccobate products than it does a packet of smokes and this is one of the main reasons I haven't quit as I don't have the will power to simply do it cold turkey.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Bethylou78  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I'd be happy with that. We don't drink, neither do a lot of our neighbours.

But I don't think drinking has a direct result like smoking does, drinking doesn't necessarily result in noise or health issues for other people.
    I don't agree, my hubby used to work in St Vincent's in Paddington - come the weekend the place went insane and most of it could be contributed to alcohol fuelled violence and alcohol poisonings. We lived in City of Sydney council area and the police would be out in force friday and saturday nights- it is absolutely crazy what goes on in areas where they have 24 hour pubs.

As for the selfish thing. It depends, you aren't saying what you did that was selfish - did you smoke a pack a week or two packs a day? It really depends. I smoke about a pack every 3 or 4 months. An absolute social smoker only when I go out with the girls, only in the pub beer garden. I feel that is my choice to make - I quite like it, but then again - I'm not addicted either so I don't feel any kind of attachment to it other than I think its a bit of fun on a night out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I should say that I live in QLD and it is in my state. All community living schemes have body corporates. I think also NSW. Not entirely sure about other states.
    I think I depends on the size of the apartment block in NSW. All have some kind of body to deal with communal property etc. (hallways, driveways and stuff) but many don't have rules that are given to residents.
    I do know that most larger places seem to have Strata set up, or large BC run by management companies.