+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Abi&Beth View Post
    Banning smoking on balconies is as likely as banning it on the streets.

You can smell it a mile away, if the smoker in the complex went downstairs to smoke then the people on the ground level would complain about that aswell.

I live on a busy suburban street with a bus stop out the front, should I complain to council because someone wants to have a smoke while waiting for the bus and if the wind is blowing in the right direction it blows in my children's windows?

The answer is no, purely because smoking is not illegal.

It's just rubbish, if you want to ban smoking, are you going to ban drinking on a balcony too? Because that stinks just as bad if it's spilt, except you have to deal with the smell until the lazy *** mops his floor.

It's just another silly way to p1ss people off.
    In my state (WA) it is actually illegal to smoke on public transport property including at bus stops.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abi&Beth View Post
    I live on a busy suburban street with a bus stop out the front, should I complain to council because someone wants to have a smoke while waiting for the bus and if the wind is blowing in the right direction it blows in my children's windows?

The answer is no, purely because smoking is not illegal.

Local Government can ban smoking at bus stops. So yes is it may be illegal to smoke at a bus stop where you live.

Yes I think smoking on balconies should be banned.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to *Cj* For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    actually you are right.

Control crying is bad for my health..as if i hear it , it cause me to sweat and have heart palpitations.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Not every smoker is selfish and their habit making them anti social though Bethy. Some of us are actually very aware and take great lengths to not have others effected by our smoking. I don't smoke in public, I don't smoke around others. I don't smoke in the car. I certainly don't smoke around my kids.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    actually you are right.

Control crying is bad for my health..as if i hear it , it cause me to sweat and have heart palpitations.
    yeah me too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katezane View Post
    I live in a house. If I have the girls over I love having a ciggie with my wine. My neighbors are Greek and every Saturday the put a pig on the charcoals and the thick smoke that comes over our side of the house stinks. I don't whinge we love our neighbors. So we shut our windows as I'm sure they probably do if once in a blue moon we smoke.

It's just life.

The people that smoke on their balconie probably don't even know it annoys you.
    "once in a blue moon"...

I lived in an apartment where our neighbours balcony was less than 2ms from my bedroom window and maybe 3ms from my balcony, he smoked all day every day... our balcony was unusable and I couldn't have my bedroom window open ever. It was disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I think the point is being missed. It's about smoking under body corporate by laws. Not the regular 'residential' living. Body corporates rule out pets in many places, even if kept inside when there is no bearing on anyone else. Where I live having a pet is okay but it must be under 10kg! Having a dog bigger than that is not illegal but in our community living its not allowed.
    Many by laws rule out using power tools, washing your car on driveways, noise after certain times. That's community living. You respect the rules. I don't see why a behavior like smoking can't be one of those rules. Especially if it impacts others way of life negatively.
    If people don't like body corporate rules then don't live in a community setting.
    Exactly, we can't walk around with no shirt on in our complex, or leave our garage door open for more than 5 minutes, we can't have parties after 9pm, we can't have pets without approval, these are things we accept when we moved in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    "once in a blue moon"...

I lived in an apartment where our neighbours balcony was less than 2ms from my bedroom window and maybe 3ms from my balcony, he smoked all day every day... our balcony was unusable and I couldn't have my bedroom window open ever. It was disgusting.
    We lived in units years ago and our neighbours used to get drunk every friday and sat night and have punch ups, screaming to the point it woke my newborn and I called the police. Should drinking in your own home be banned then?

and balconies don't have to be part of a BC. We've lived in units where we could have pets, there were no party, garage ect restrictions. Does a balcony as part of a house still need this rule? I didn't read anything in the OP about BC as such just units.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would prefer a tenant having a smoke on the balcony, than having them sneak them inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    We lived in units years ago and our neighbours used to get drunk every friday and sat night and have punch ups, screaming to the point it woke my newborn and I called the police. Should drinking in your own home be banned then?

and balconies don't have to be part of a BC. We've lived in units where we could have pets, there were no party, garage ect restrictions. Does a balcony as part of a house still need this rule? I didn't read anything in the OP about BC as such just units.
    That would be against body corp rules in most places anyway? I know if that was happening with our neighbours they could be evicted.

OP was asking if we were on a body corp would we vote against it. It's quite clearly there in the OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd support the ban.

I wouldn't be able to live in unit style set up because we have dogs - there are other options for us.

same with this - not EVERYWHERE will have the ban.
    There will always be another option.

Our neighbor smokes on occasion it wafts over the back yard fence - but most of it gets blown away befor eit reaches our back door or windows.
    If I was living in a unit style complex - having someone smoke on the balcony next to us would be like having them smoke right next to your window.

I'd say the bodies that decide to adopt this ban would be sought out. Less and less people are smoking. I know I wouldn't go to a club that still had inside smoking... because I know - thankfully - have a choice.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post: