+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    if you're living in an apartment and the person next door smokes consistently throughout the day (as many people do) the second hand smoke flowing into YOUR windows would be constant. You walk through a car park briefly - to get to your car .. you dont stand around in the car park all day to inhale the fumes ...

The fact is .. that in YOUR apartment YOU have the right to open your own windows and inhale FRESH air - a right that is deprived of you if you live next door or near a smoker.
    The thing is that carbon monoxide of millions of vehicles doesn't just stay locked in the area above a car park, it floats everywhere in the air. Every breathe you take in a highly populated area you are taking in cancerous agents.

I fully support smokers being very courteous and ever thoughtful of others. But I think there has to be a line. As I said, there are heaps of things I could list that neighbours do that can be damaging to health. No one suggests outlawing alcohol though, given the research on it's damaging effects to just to the person drinking but others around them. Could you imagine the outcry? Why? bc drinking is more socially acceptable now than smoking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please note "living in close proximity for decades".

At some point, the "passive smoking" externality argument will come up. There is some evidence that people who live in close contact with heavy smokers for several decades have a marginally higher risk of health problems. While this evidence is often exaggerated, the balance of probability suggests the risk is real. Passive smoking is being used to ban smoking in all manner of places - including office buildings, restaurants, pubs, near doorways, cars, and even parks. But this argument falls apart quickly once you introduce the concept of "private property rights" and free movement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Banning smoking on balconies is as likely as banning it on the streets.

You can smell it a mile away, if the smoker in the complex went downstairs to smoke then the people on the ground level would complain about that aswell.

I live on a busy suburban street with a bus stop out the front, should I complain to council because someone wants to have a smoke while waiting for the bus and if the wind is blowing in the right direction it blows in my children's windows?

The answer is no, purely because smoking is not illegal.

It's just rubbish, if you want to ban smoking, are you going to ban drinking on a balcony too? Because that stinks just as bad if it's spilt, except you have to deal with the smell until the lazy *** mops his floor.

It's just another silly way to p1ss people off.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abi&Beth For This Useful Post:

katezane  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The answer is simple, if you don't want to smell it for a few minutes, close your door/window. I'm sure the non smokers do things that the smokers don't like, like controlled crying, do you think they want to listen to your child crying for minutes on end? No they don't but they aren't going to protest to have it banned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in a house. If I have the girls over I love having a ciggie with my wine. My neighbors are Greek and every Saturday the put a pig on the charcoals and the thick smoke that comes over our side of the house stinks. I don't whinge we love our neighbors. So we shut our windows as I'm sure they probably do if once in a blue moon we smoke.

It's just life.

The people that smoke on their balconie probably don't even know it annoys you.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katezane For This Useful Post:

Abi&Beth  (26-05-2012),Liddybugs  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am an ex smoker and really hate the smell nowadays, even so I think this is a stupid idea.

We've banned smoking in cars with kids - I have always supported this fantastic idea.

Banning smoking on balconies is going to make people smoke inside which is much worse for kids - they almost certainly spend more time in the house than in the car. Smoking inside in an apartment block makes the smell permeate everything inside the apartment and outside hallway, it's a lot worse than being outside where the smoke is blown away.

Make people go to a designated smoking area?? Ok. What about single parents with kids. Or even any parent at home alone with a kid? Leave the kids alone at home while they go somewhere else to smoke? Bundle their kid(s) up and bring them down to the smoking area where they will be surrounded by smoke and smokers?

Until the government start directing funds to making quit smoking programs free and then criminalize tobacco products from being sold then people should be entitled to partake of whatever they want on their private property. But they will never do that - how will they replace the billions of tax dollars they get per year from the sale of cigarettes.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (26-05-2012),bumMum  (26-05-2012),Mod-Degrassi  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the point is being missed. It's about smoking under body corporate by laws. Not the regular 'residential' living. Body corporates rule out pets in many places, even if kept inside when there is no bearing on anyone else. Where I live having a pet is okay but it must be under 10kg! Having a dog bigger than that is not illegal but in our community living its not allowed.
    Many by laws rule out using power tools, washing your car on driveways, noise after certain times. That's community living. You respect the rules. I don't see why a behavior like smoking can't be one of those rules. Especially if it impacts others way of life negatively.
    If people don't like body corporate rules then don't live in a community setting.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (26-05-2012),Bethylou78  (26-05-2012),Guest654  (26-05-2012),Ishtyban  (26-05-2012),trishalishous  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrl View Post

Until the government start directing funds to making quit smoking programs free and then criminalize tobacco products from being sold then people should be entitled to partake of whatever they want on their private property. But they will never do that - how will they replace the billions of tax dollars they get per year from the sale of cigarettes.
    Totally agree. In truth the govt could care less about smokers giving up, they are making billions a year in revenue, much of which will never, or only partially be used to treat smoking related illness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Abi&Beth View Post
    The answer is simple, if you don't want to smell it for a few minutes, close your door/window. I'm sure the non smokers do things that the smokers don't like, like controlled crying, do you think they want to listen to your child crying for minutes on end? No they don't but they aren't going to protest to have it banned.
    Short and sweet. Straight to the point! Agreed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Body corporates: ban it! Those who wish to smoke at home can choose to live elsewhere and just accept the rules of the BC.
    I smoked without thinking of the affect on others for many years. I can now day that I was so stupid. It is a selfish, unhealthy and antisocial habit. maybe by banning it in these living situations will make people who like I had been, consider the welfare of others when they had previously not.
    I hope one day we all see sense and ban it for good. In the meantime I'd be behind any BCs that chose to enforce a ban.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bethylou78 For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (26-05-2012)