+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katezane View Post
    Your property you should be able to do what you want with it. There are worse Things in the world than people smoking on Their OWN balconies. For goodness sakes grow up Australia.

While we are at it why don't we ban bbq's on balconies (I hate the smell). Hanging washing in balconies (looks messy). Going out on the balcony altogether (it's too noisy for people who don't have kids).

Seriously!
    BBQ's washing and noise doesn't cause cancer. Passive smoking does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Another one of these threads Yes lets keep taking smoker's money in taxes that would way outweigh any medical treatment they could ever require, but take all their rights away. Bc really, smokers are 2nd class citizens that are constantly discriminated against. That's ok though. The habit is gross

Let's ban parties, they are no good for health as they keep you awake all night. Studies also show children that see regular alcohol consumption are more likely to develop drinking problems themselves. BBQ's might make vegetarians sick. In fact no alcohol should be consumed in your home full stop. Millions of studies show the link between drinking, DV, cancer, child abuse, accidents. No more singing. Hearing Adele gives me a headache. No children in the backyard, they are noisy, see first point. No watching movies, again... noisy... shift workers anyone? they could have an accident on the way to work from tiredness. No having an argument.... ever. That could damage my child's mental health. No animals... may carry germs like worms which may make us sick.

No offense meant to anyone here, but I find it weird people complain about a little waft of smoke yet live in the city lol you all realise living in an environment with 2 million cars, trains, trams etc would be far more damaging right? that's not a dig at city people, but really, pollution levels are pretty high and bad for your health.
    Hey hun.
    I understand your point. I really do...but (there is always a but)
    DS gets sick anytime he breathes in smoke.
    If we go to the supermarket and someone is smoking, I have to get him to wear a breathing mask.
    We used to live on a main road and he did not get sick..but 2 minutes in a smokers house and bang...asthma attack.

I hate taking him out to people house and have to request that no one smokes on a play date or party..not even outside.

I am sure that fumes are bad from loads of things..but for us it is dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    BBQ's washing and noise doesn't cause cancer. Passive smoking does.
    If you read my last post. BBQs do cause cancerous fumes aswell as thousands of other things. 2 out of 3 people die from cancer now and if you think that is all from smoking/passive smoking well your in for a rude awakening!
    Soft drinks can lead to cancer, deodorants can lead to cancer, transfats can lead to cancer. I'm not even going to keep going on but smoking on a balcony is the least of my worries.
    Drive through one of Sydney's tunnels with tour window slightly down and that's about the same toxins of 5 years of smoking

Thanks
    Reviews
    It should be banned all together. On balconies, at home, in cars, everywhere.

As a former smoker who battled the addiction for years, it should be illegal.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheWhiteKnight For This Useful Post:

Bethylou78  (26-05-2012),Guest1234  (26-05-2012),headoverfeet  (26-05-2012),trishalishous  (26-05-2012)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If you understood how much more carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide was toxic to our health than cigarettes you would never step foot into a carpark with your kids again. Smoking on balconies is the least of our problems. BBQs will harm your health they produce toxic fumes that are a huge cause of cancer and other illnesses.
    You simply cant compare the two - sorry ....

if you're living in an apartment and the person next door smokes consistently throughout the day (as many people do) the second hand smoke flowing into YOUR windows would be constant. You walk through a car park briefly - to get to your car .. you dont stand around in the car park all day to inhale the fumes ...

The fact is .. that in YOUR apartment YOU have the right to open your own windows and inhale FRESH air - a right that is deprived of you if you live next door or near a smoker.

Smokers now only account for about 15% of the population (as they were saying on sunrise this morning) but ONE smoker in an apartment block and impact on the air of several people who live around them.

I find it frustrating that people still smoke, considering all the research and information that is available. I cant stop others smoking, but if I can change a rule that means that I breathe it in less - I'm all for it.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (26-05-2012),Ishtyban  (26-05-2012),share a book  (26-05-2012),trishalishous  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Banning never ever works, it just will make criminals out of smokers - which really, there are far worse things in the world than being a smoker.

As for the comments about "It affects us" etc, well, then everyone should be vaxxed no questions asked, as that also affects us all as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    Hey hun.
    I understand your point. I really do...but (there is always a but)
    DS gets sick anytime he breathes in smoke.
    If we go to the supermarket and someone is smoking, I have to get him to wear a breathing mask.
    We used to live on a main road and he did not get sick..but 2 minutes in a smokers house and bang...asthma attack.

I hate taking him out to people house and have to request that no one smokes on a play date or party..not even outside.

I am sure that fumes are bad from loads of things..but for us it is dangerous.
    Look I fully support not smoking in public, in enclosed spaces. In fact I'm very outspoken about people that smoke in cars with kids. I stopped smoking in the house before I even had kids.

But there a million things other people do, even in their homes, that can be listed as damaging to our health. Now I smoke only 2 packets of 20's a week, so only a light smoker in comparison to others. I'm completely anal about smoking around others, including my kids.

But where can smokers smoke? They can't smoke in covered areas, which I support. Same with kids in the car. They can't smoke now even in open spaces. They can't smoke on their property now. Heaven forbid they smoke inside, they are torn down (and again I hate smoking inside). We are legally allowed to smoke, we pay huge taxes to cover any medical costs.

I do truly understand your point about asthma. I would death stare someone blowing smoke on my child and I smoke! But just watching the weather channel and seeing the pollution reading for the cap cities scare me. IMHO there is far more danger from spending your life in all that carbon monoxide then a faint wiff of smoke from 20 metres away every now and again.

That's JMHO though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a smoker in the unit next to us. He smokes in his unit and it comes out under the door and into the hallway and our apartment. My baby sleeps in the room next to the front door. I would much prefer he smoked on his balcony with the door shut where the smoke is dispursed quickly... We have fixed the problem with draft excluders around our door, as, as much as I hate it he has the right to do whatever legal things he wants in his own house. If he smoked outside we could just shut the window while he was doing it - the smell doesn't linger like it does inside.

TBH, he puts up with our baby crying in the night which must be pretty annoying too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Your property you should be able to do what you want with it. There are worse Things in the world than people smoking on Their OWN balconies. For goodness sakes grow up Australia.

While we are at it why don't we ban bbq's on balconies (I hate the smell). Hanging washing in balconies (looks messy). Going out on the balcony altogether (it's too noisy for people who don't have kids).

Seriously!
    Where I live there are a bunch of ridiculous body corp by laws. Hanging your washing anywhere but on your clotheslines is one of them.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovehats View Post
    We have a smoker in the unit next to us. He smokes in his unit and it comes out under the door and into the hallway and our apartment. My baby sleeps in the room next to the front door. I would much prefer he smoked on his balcony with the door shut where the smoke is dispursed quickly... We have fixed the problem with draft excluders around our door, as, as much as I hate it he has the right to do whatever legal things he wants in his own house. If he smoked outside we could just shut the window while he was doing it - the smell doesn't linger like it does inside.

TBH, he puts up with our baby crying in the night which must be pretty annoying too.
    This is what is going to happen if you ban people from smoking on their balconies.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (26-05-2012),katezane  (26-05-2012)